I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I am behind on gathering books for Mr. Ski for upcoming trip....I need one per day for him....

He loves Tom Clancy, James Patterson, Dan Brown, Clive Cussler, etc. but has read all of theirs.

Any recommendations???

So far I have on my list....Kite Runner and Third Secret.

Need many more......help please!!!!!

I'd recommend Blood Memory by Greg Isles, he's a terrific author and reads easy. I too enjoy reading by the pool and try to bring a few books along. I've been hoping to see something new by Grisham or Patterson before I leave in 2 weeks, I've read all of Brown's books and would highly recommend Angels & Demons (by far his best work). It's really a peronal choice, enjoy.

Skiiergirl, here are a few more recommendations for your hubby--these are all kind-of oldies (like from the 90's--ancient stuff :p ) but if he hasn't read any of them, he may get a few more authors on his list of "Must Read All Their Stuff"

Gone but Not Forgotten -- Phillip Margolin (courtroom thriller; i actually say any of his early works are great)

Primal Fear -- William Diehl (better than the movie!)

Bone Collector -- Jeffery Deaver (another better-than-movie; if you like CSI and forensics, you'll love this book)

Dead Ringer -- Ken Douglas (edge-of-your-seat thriller)

Fifth Angel -- Tim Green (dark "revenge/justice" thriller, awesome characters)

For anyone out there who likes Historical Novels, try something by Bernard Cornwell (his Grail Quest Trilogy is superb).

And can someone please tell me how they manage NOT to read their cruise books before cruising? As soon as I get mine, I think I'll just read the first couple of pages .... and before you know it I've got to go and buy another book (more for the flight than for the cruise for me).

• 2 weeks later...

Skiiergirl-

Did you try any of the Lee Child books for Mr Ski? The first in the series, Killing Floor is an excellent read. Most people finish it quickly. One Shot is the current hard cover release, I loved this book. The Enemy is the current paperback.

-Janine

Skiiergirl-

Did you try any of the Lee Child books for Mr Ski? The first in the series, Killing Floor is an excellent read. Most people finish it quickly. One Shot is the current hard cover release, I loved this book. The Enemy is the current paperback.

-Janine

Actually, yes, I bought two of them and he did not get in to them. He has the first one sitting on the nightstand. He started it at the very end of the last cruise (in April) and has picked it up a couple of times but keeps putting it back down. He can't seem to get in to it. That is very unusual for him because he is a fast reader and usually reads a book a day. (That is why I have to take 14 books for a 14 day trip). Thanks for the ideas.

Just finished reading the first two books. They are nice easy reads. I enjoyed both of them and plan on reading the third one that is out now. I believe she has one scheduled to come out every month for the next 3 or 4 months. Good reading. Romantic but not too sappy or detailed on the sex. Lightweigh paperback to easy to carry. Good story lines and characters. Other than calling the Mexican Riviera (Acapulco, Cabo, PV, etc.) the Caribbean during both books I would say they were fairly believeable fiction books. I bought them based on the recommendation here and would agree that they are worth the read. Looking forward to reading her future books.

I just read the third and fourth books... loved them both. I definitely recommend them to all. For those who didn't see the original post...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=229991

Her fourth is out now, with one more at the end of November and another at the end of December.

• 2 weeks later...

Looked at the original post from above and so glad to find more Alisa Allan fans. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her books - so far. I'm only up to the 2nd one, my hubby didn't want me to get anymore because he said my daughter is getting them for Christmas for me so I have to wait and I'm dying here. I could sit down and read every one back to back if I could.

I'm looking at the Mexican Riviera for next year and her 2nd novel, After Midnight, features those ports, now makes me even more anxious to book. I like her books because they have cruises and all the places we've been or are going to. All the ports and islands and some great little tidbit information I didn't know when I went to those islands.

But great part is, isn't like a 'fact' book, it's all in a nice little contemporary novel in story form.

She's definately a great read - http://www.traveltimepress.com

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see so many good recommendations already on the list.

I like mystery series books. I've enjoyed Sujata Massey - both "The Salary Man" and "Zen Attitude" kept me hooked. Tom Perry's books on Jane Whitefield ("The Face-Changers", "Vanishing Act", etc.) were good vacation reads. Also Kate Wilhelm's Barbara Holloway mysteries -- "Death Qualified" is one in the series. I didn't see Marcia Muller on the list before - her early Sharon McCone books were good. And J.A. Jance -- I've enjoyed both her J.P Beaumont and Joanna Brady characters.

Probably the weirdest vacation read I've had was the book "RATS: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants" by Robert Sullivan. It was actually very intriguing...

Michael Connelly's "Blood Work" and Jeffrey Deaver's "Bone Collector" were both much better books than movies. Both of them have authored mysteries that would make good cruise reads. Laurie R King's books about Mary Russell are enjoyable, as are Sara Paretsky's books. I also REALLY enjoyed "Monkeewrench", but am having a much harder time getting through "Live Bait" (these are by PJ Tracy - a mother/daughter team.)

And...I just finished the Stephen King Dark Tower series...whoa! I would really encourage any King fans to start that group of books. I was initially put off by "Gunslinger" (I'm not big on westerns -- but this isn't an ordinary cowboy story). The Dark Tower series is a lengthy saga that really brings many of King's fantasy worlds together. It took just over a year for me to get through all the books, and I have to say I enjoyed nearly every minute. Just finished the last one last week, and was sad to close the cover.

Here is a list of books that I have read that I really enjoyed (couldn't put down)

Frank Herbert

Dune

J.R.R Tolkien

The Hobbit

Lord of the Rings

Isaac Asimov

Foundation Trilogy

Stephen King

The Stand

Night Shift

Bag of Bones

NOTE: some snippage may have occured in shipping:rolleyes:

These are good conversation starters for those who have read them. They are also meaty enough to hold your attention when little else would.

To add to the list:

--The Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett--but be ready for the involuntary snorts/chuckles/pun-inspired groans it will evoke.

--The Hornblower Series by C.S. Forrester

--A journal to write your cruise/shore experiences in, to capture the nuances and impressions that may fade once the cruise has ended.

My .10 pesos on the topic,

CapnCarp

NCL Dawn 11/05 Thanksgiving cruise

While I love to read good literature, I chose light reading for vacations. Anything by Bill Bryson ("Walk in the Woods, etc) he is a hilarious travel writer who's books are filled w/facts cloaked in humor. All of the "Sweet Potato Queens" books, "Confederacy of Dunces" "Wicked", etc.. There are just too many to recommend. I also look for books long enough to last more than a few days, and only carry paperbacks on trips. Celebrity offers a lending library ( with very limited hours). I've actually suggested an on-board book exchange for passangers on my post cruise questionaires.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else read Alisa Allan? Winds Of Change? After Midnight? Any of the others? Just finished the third one, The Best Man, and was wondering if anyone has read the next one's, Beyond The Horizon, One Last Time or Angel Mist. I literally have to force myself to put these down and get anything done.

Has anyone else read Alisa Allan? Winds Of Change? After Midnight? Any of the others? Just finished the third one, The Best Man, and was wondering if anyone has read the next one's, Beyond The Horizon, One Last Time or Angel Mist. I literally have to force myself to put these down and get anything done.

You or someone posted a thread about this on the NCL site . . . it got pulled or I'm just stupid and cannot find it. I checked these books out online and got excited, but my library doesn't have them (what's up with that???). So, I'll have to make a trip to Barnes & Noble. The books sound wonderful.

You or someone posted a thread about this on the NCL site . . . it got pulled or I'm just stupid and cannot find it. I checked these books out online and got excited, but my library doesn't have them (what's up with that???). So, I'll have to make a trip to Barnes & Noble. The books sound wonderful.

I think it got pulled and I don't know why. I figured all us cruise addicts would be interested, guess the moderaters weren't, don't know what the deal is there.

This thread is dangerous, I've got such a long list now I'll be reading through the winter and not get anything else done. lol

I just picked up Memoirs of a Geisha for my cruise, everybody from the saleslady, my grandma and somebody at my nail salon said it was wonderful! You might want to check it out as well! Some of my other favorite books that you might enjoy are The Life of Pi, A Million Little Pieces, The Nanny Diaries and for some itellectual stimulation try Plato the Republic. Enjoy your cruise!

Allie

1/3/06- Carnival Spirit

12/04- Carnival Legend

12/03- Carnival Pride

event.png

Have any of you Janet Evanovich fans read any of her "Full" Series? I was just online looking for the release of her next Plum novel and came across the info that there is another series out there that she writes with Charlotte Hughes.

I want a really light, fluffy book or two to bring on our March cruise and thought that Janet would fit the bill.

Thanks,

Sandy

Really depends on what you are in to. I'm in to pretty much anything besides sci-fi and then the Chronicals of Narnia are pretty good but not "vacation" reads (to me a "vacation" read is something that is read for pure enjoyment, I don't want to have to put in a lot of extra thought LOL)

I like anything Nora Roberts, she has a new trilogy out that I've heard is good (Blue Dahlia, Black Rose and Red Lily) I have all of these but I'm saving them for my vacation in April.

I like Fern Michaels as well.

Barbara Delinski

Nicholas Sparks has a new book out (he wrote Message in a Bottle and A Walk to Remember)

Any John Grisham books you haven't read

The Dan Brown books

LuAnn Rice

There are so many authors I like LOL

NOTE: some snippage may have occured in shipping:rolleyes:

These are good conversation starters for those who have read them. They are also meaty enough to hold your attention when little else would.

To add to the list:

--The Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett--but be ready for the involuntary snorts/chuckles/pun-inspired groans it will evoke.

--The Hornblower Series by C.S. Forrester

--A journal to write your cruise/shore experiences in, to capture the nuances and impressions that may fade once the cruise has ended.

My .10 pesos on the topic,

CapnCarp

NCL Dawn 11/05 Thanksgiving cruise

my two cents also: gabriel garcia ***** (any one of his books) and alessandro baricco (city, seta (silk), and novecento the pianist).

Great thread. I'm one of those people who always tries to read the jacket cover of the person across the isle on a plane or at the next lounge chair by the pool. I volunteer at a local library once a week and these are the books I always recommend:

Nelson DeMille: Lions Game, Charm School (this is one of DeMille's earlier books)

Vince Flynn: Term Limits

These books are based on whats happening in the world today -- terrorist, intercircles of Federal/State government, CIA and PDs. Although written as fiction, some of it seems all too true.

A totally different kind of book I recommend is the Yada Yada Prayer Group books. Everyone who reads them, tells me they relate to the main character in the books.

I also loved the "Left Behind" series.