Hump of Aft Wrap Around Cabin

If you had the choice, which would you pick and why?

All I can say to this is that I had cabin JS 1100 on the Radiance of the Seas which is an aft wrap around and it was truly spectacular!

You don't mention which ship/class - so if you are looking at the Radiance class, I highly recommend this cabin :)

I would take the hump over the aft anyday! It's so convenient! I know the aft cabins have huge balconies, but with only 2 of us, we don't plan to host a party or a dance, so a regular balcony is fine with us! The hump cabins are so close to stairs and elevators, it makes running in and out of the room a breeze!

I am totally ignorant on all of this. We will be sailing with our two children in the inside across the hall, so we thought the larger balcony would be nice for all of us.

I understand the hump too - how much bigger are the balconies. Does anyone know what types of cabins the humps are on the Mariner. Right now we are booked in an E1

Personally, I would stick with the corner aft. The bigger balcony is definitely the way to go if you're traveling with kids!! I saw my sister's hump balcony on the Mariner (we always book suites so we're a bit spoiled when it comes to balcony size) and we were really surprised how tiny the balcony was. But the aft balconies are really nice, often even larger than JS balconies.

It's true that the hump cabins are more centrally located -- but with all the 24-hour food choices, a little hike to my cabin is never a bad thing!! ;)

Stick with the corner aft. So worth it. The balcony is larger, and I love the aft rooms. And the corner aft on Deck 9 doesn't have the structure onstructing your view, like the lower decks aft cabins.

Check out this link,

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/more/moreFR.html

You should be able to find a picture of your corner aft cabin and some great details of the balcony and if there are any obstructions. My hubby and I had a D2 near the hump on the Mariner in May. The balcony was comfortable for the two of us, but if we had the kids with us we would've preferred having an aft cabin.

Good Luck and have a great cruise!! :)

Kelly

I am having the same hard decision. We booked room 1600 on Brilliance of the Sea. Royal Caribbean reps keep telling me that it is a great room and don't change. The room is larger than the other Grand Suites and so is the balcony. I am worried about it being way in the back. Will we feel more movement? We are going to the panama canal and hope to have a good view.

Just to clarify - Voyager class ships do NOT have wraparound balconies on any of the corner afts. (see photos linked in kellyski's reply)

Technically neither do Radiance class ships. While the balcony does wrap around somewhat, it is not enough to even stand on because of the angle of the railing. (see photos linked in my sig of Radiance 1100)

For a true wraparound balcony you will have to go to Vision class and the only 2 ships that I am aware have a true wraparound balcony is Rhapsody and Vision. In the corner afts on these 2 ships you can actually fit 2 chairs and a table. (see photos linked in my sig of Rhapsody 8088) Now THAT is a wraparound! :cool:

Aft cabins on all class ships have huge balconies. Just don't book a corner aft on Mariner and expect it to wraparound.

Signed,

Avowed Aft-Lover :cool:

I am having the same hard decision. We booked room 1600 on Brilliance of the Sea. Royal Caribbean reps keep telling me that it is a great room and don't change. The room is larger than the other Grand Suites and so is the balcony. I am worried about it being way in the back. Will we feel more movement? We are going to the panama canal and hope to have a good view.
I'd keep 1600. But, as I've stated, I love the aft cabins.

Yes, it's a long walk, but unless you or anyone in your party has mobility issues it's really not that bad. I enjoy walking off all those calories. :p

You may feel slightly more movement but this has never been an issue for me.

Aft views are spectacular! Have done 2 Alaska cruises, both aft. Rarely left our balcony for viewing, even at Hubbard Glacier.

ETA: Did I forget to add that the balcony is HUGE?! :)

Check the link in my signature for pictures of 1600 on the Brilliance. I haven't stayed in any other GS, but I have seen them, and 1600 has a bizarre layout. The extra space is all in a hallway/entryway and it's unusable space, so in this case size doesn't matter. The cabin is missing one of the floor-to-ceiling windows that you find in the other GS cabins, which makes it dark. The closet & vanity are quite a bit smaller than in a standard GS and they are squished into a corner by the bed, which makes for some interesting maneuvering when two of you are getting dressed.

Some people find the odd angle of the bed to be bothersome in rough seas; I confess that I didn't notice.

But the balcony will give you wonderful views as you pass through the canal. It's not as large as the balconies of the two aft JS cabins, but it's plenty big enough for 2 to be comfortable.

Archived