Question from a Princess cruiser

I've sailed 3 times all on Princess ships. I found a heck of a price sailing on the Explorerer of the Seas this November. Just curious in anybody has sailed both lines and their comparisons.

I have sailed both lines and besides the open seating dining on Princess I think you will find them similar but I think RCCL was better in most categories for service, staff, food, and entertainment.

We loved the Explorer and will be sailing her again in Feb. Click on the link in my signature for pictures.

I've cruised on both lines and have had good experiences on each. I would give a slight edge to RCI where the staterooms are concerned as far as size. If you really like the open dinner seating with Princess, RCI's assigned seating might be tough. But if you are looking at an itinerary that really fits your needs and budget, that will make it much easier.

I believe if you like Princess, you'll do fine on RCI.

We have sailed on both lines. They are similar on some things... here is my take on it. Only my personal opinions:

* Princess does Anytime Dining VERY well and we found this to be a strong point for them. If Royal Caribbean would even consider doing this on a trial basis (not like NCL, but more like what Princess does), I think alot of people would really like it. They still offer the set dining times for those that enjoy the traditional dining with set waiter & tablemates. So it worked for everyone.

* Food was VERY similar.

* Activities on board... RCCL has much more to do. On Princess, we found the evenings to be quiet and somewhat boring. Not many deck parties or activities in the evening. The 'sidewalks' seemed to roll up very early.

* Crew - HANDS DOWN goes to RCCL. We have cruised on 3 different lines and for us, it always comes back to the crew. They are the STARS on these ships.

I don't think Princess is the line for us. I think the itinerary would really have to be one that I couldn't get on RCCL or Carnival before I would consider sailing on them again. We were actually alot more happy with Carnival over Princess and would put them just under RCCL in our ratings. Again - crew on RCCL ships are the tops!

The Crown Princess holds 3050 people, according to Princess' specs, and measures in at 116,000 tons. The Explorer holds 64 more people and has an extra 22,000 tons so I think you will find it less crowded. This does not count children in their parent's cabins but most ships do a good job of confining the rugrats to the children's areas and programs.

RCI in designing their big ships likes to emphasize the huge size, such as the 4 deck high Royal Promenade, the 3 story dining room with the center open on all 3 levels and the twin 7 deck high atriums with multiple glass elevators looking out over the vast spaces below.

Princess hides its size by using single level dining rooms, a small 3 deck center area, etc.

2 distinct styles.

Lots more to do on any RCI ship, Princess far more sedate. Of course the Explorer is so big that if you don't want the hurly burly of activities just find yourself a quiet area and you will think you are back on the Crown at 10 PM and all are asleep.

Mostly agree with Sue L

Sailed both........thought RC was much better for Entertainment, Staff and Service........

Princess better for food.............(very similar)

Both are basically the same but we enjoyed our overall experience with RC better.

Princess

Food:

Great Pizza Bar

Horizon Court has excellent food, but not a great omelet station.

Sabateni’s wonderful

Sterling steak house leaves a lot to be desired

Main dinning room has better food

Room service: better choices…some cost money.

Great Chocolate martini’s

Choice of set or open seating in Dinning room

Cabins:

Smaller, but convenient

No couches until Mini Suite ( Junior suite) category.

More TV options

Refrigerator does not keep things very cold

RCI Voyager Class

Food:

Great cookies

Beautiful dinning room

Fantastic omelets

Pasta bar in dinning room at lunch is wonderful.

Food at Windjammar, fair

Food in dinning room a slight step above fair

Set seating and assigned tables in dinning room.

Chops is excellent

Mystery Theater night in Portifino

Great lemon drop martinis

Cabins:

Slightly bigger and more space for storage

Rounded bed corners

More insolated

Better refrigerator

Couch and coffee table in all categories

Ship

Movies under the Stars

Adult pool as well as Solarium pool

Wave pool for exercise

Free popcorn at featured movies and a blanket

Hard to move around ship, some places are not easy to get to

Very crowded Atrium on sea days

Lots of nooks and crannies to hid in and get away from crowds

Rewards

Much better reward for staying in a suite higher than mini suite:

Canopies every night

Free laundry service

Free internet

Free liquor in cabin (only limited, not an all you can drink deal)

Ship

Promenade is a really great shopping area and filled with things to do, including great parades.

Rock Climbing Wall

Viking Lounge is beautiful

Ice skating rink

Easy to find everything

Slow elevators and only two sets, sometimes there are long walks involved.

Better offering of excursions

Slightly better prices

Rewards

Great Loyalty program:

Lounge for people who have traveled more than 10 times

Plus all the things that Princess gives there people.

I am sure I have forgotten some things but I hope that helps

(and keep in mind...this is only my opinion...both lines are really nice middle of the road, cruise lines)

Archived