Private guides Kusadasi, Taormina,Santorini?

I forgot to make mention of this comment.

Again, I was quite clear in making the referral that I had not yet had personal experience with this guide, that my TA had checked them out and that I was willing to post the results of my personal experience. I do not think accountability is an issue when you are discussing message boards where lay people post their personal opinions, experiences and provide guidance or advice to those that ask questions. Or perhaps I have misunderstood the nature of this message board. Perhaps I am unique in taking comments and feedback at their face value, rather than assuming that the individual in question has a vested interest or perhaps a "bone to pick" when they answer a thread. I am beginning to wonder otherwise.

I think your post was fine -- the rule (which I should have reread before making this post) is a bit difficult to understand. It makes sense that CruiseCritic doesn't want people plugging their companies -- however, if, for instance, I ask you "do you know the name of a tour company" in a particular city, I think it's permissible to answer. It seems similiar to the TA rule -- you can state that you are a TA (which helps us understand where their opinions are coming from - good or bad) but cannot advertise your services.

Your assumption that most of us are just making comments and/or feedback based on our experiences and things we have learned from others is correct. I really try to assist in answering questions based on my somewhat limited experience on Regent cruises (3 cruises with 4th one booked). There are some "hot" topics that cause some strong debates on these threads (for instance, Crystal Cruises vs. Regent, smoking vs. non-smoking, children on luxury cruises, etc.)

Hope you keep posting!:)

We are on Navigator Athens-Monte Carlo depart Sept 1st.

I have heaps of queries.... Can anyone recommend private tour guides/drivers in the ports of Kusadasi, Santorini, Taormina (I think I found one for Sorrento on these boards, thanks!).

Any advice on must-sees/ must dos in these ports?

Do we need to see Mt Etna? Really?

I want so much to go to Pompeii but am worried about the heat... advice?

Can we go to Pompeii and eat at a fabulous restaurant for lunch as well, or is time too short?

Sorry so many questions, but there are so many experts out there.

This is our first Regent cruise (and first child-free, yea!), so very excited.

Anyone else on this cruise? We are in late 40s and coming from Australia.

Hi,

we just returned home from our Med. Cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. For Kusadasi, we used Levent (leventsolmaz.com) and he was wonderful. I cannot say enough nice things about him. He is a wealth of information. He took us to Mary's House and through Ephesus. He also took us through the Terrace Houses (not to be missed!)-an extra small fee for that. We did some shopping but avoided the rug making stores.

For Naples: we used seesorrento.com. Marcello is the main tour operator, he was booked, but we had his driver Eugene and he was wonderful. A Mercedes van that seats 8 passengers. We drove up the Amalfi coast into side streets that buses could not pass through; stopped for a coffee and bathroom break with amazing vistas; and then he took us to a restaurant overlooking the coast. It was the best meal ever and only 20 euros per person (including wine and lemoncello). Stopped in town to shop. We then went to pompeii where they arranged a guide for us. It was not very hot, but wear a hat and bring a bottle of water. There were lots of people at pompeii; others we know went to Herculaneum instead of pompeii and said it was great and there were not many people there. You can do pompeii on your own without a guide, but there is so much to see, it was nice to have a guide and hit the highlights for us.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We returned from our Navigator sailing June 22-30 (Athens to Monte Carlo). I had promised feedback on some private guides. This has been posted on a new thread along with a comment on the Kusadasi tour arranged through regent. If interested in follow up, please read.

Just following up on the my earlier agreement to pass along our experiences.

Peter

Archived