Private guides Kusadasi, Taormina,Santorini?

We are on Navigator Athens-Monte Carlo depart Sept 1st.

I have heaps of queries.... Can anyone recommend private tour guides/drivers in the ports of Kusadasi, Santorini, Taormina (I think I found one for Sorrento on these boards, thanks!).

Any advice on must-sees/ must dos in these ports?

Do we need to see Mt Etna? Really?

I want so much to go to Pompeii but am worried about the heat... advice?

Can we go to Pompeii and eat at a fabulous restaurant for lunch as well, or is time too short?

Sorry so many questions, but there are so many experts out there.

This is our first Regent cruise (and first child-free, yea!), so very excited.

Anyone else on this cruise? We are in late 40s and coming from Australia.

I think you will find that a guide in Santorini and Kusadasi really aren't necessary.

Santorini is small and I always rent a car for about 40 euros (it is impossible to get lost...really). Thira (Fira) is great for walking and shopping, then head one way to the Minoan ruins, the red/black/brown beaches, and a nice local lunch (or head the other way to the town of Qia for a nice walk around and a lunch).

Kusadasi is basically two or three sites: Ephesus, House of the Virgin Mary and the Bazaar. You can take a taxi to the top of Ephesus, pick up a licensed guide inexpensively right there and walk to the bottom. If you want to go to the Virgin Mary's House, it is a short taxi ride (possibly just hire the taxi for the morning for both) and then back by the ship you can wander the bazaar.

Pompeii is hot, but well worth it. Hats and lots of water.

Regarding Pompeii, we hired a guide who drove us along the amalfi coast, had a nice lunch with a beautiful view and then circled back to Pompeii in late afternoon where we missed the heat of the day and the crowds for a much more enjoyable visit. While you need to do Pompeii, you also don't want to miss the incredible scenery along the amalfi coast.

We too used Levent in Kusadasi to see Ephesus and Virgin Mary's house. He's fantastic and I'd highly recommend him. We were with him until approximately 2:00 whem we called it quits (he wanted to take us on to the museum) but I wanted to shop! He was one of the best guides we've ever had in our travels, so knowledgeable, a real native, speaks perfect English, and van with AC.

I am trying to get my head around the iPod tours. It is nice to have the information, but there is something about shutting out the sounds of the place I am seeing due to the headphones that makes me feel like I am missing something. To me it is more about being there than the dry information about the place.

I could be wrong about it, but that is the thing I am trying to resolve in my own head.

Hi, we are on 6/20 Regent and I am trying to find a private guide or arrange for a private tour via Regent for Pompeii. I will let you know what I find out, when I find it out.

If interested, we are arriving early to Athens and arranged a private guide for a day there. Apparently he comes extremely well recommended. I would be happy to pass this info along as well.

We used Levent several years ago as well...on two separate trips. He was great!

On Santorini, the ruins shouldn't be missed. It's a work-in-progress and an unexpected treasure. It's worth the effort of taking a formal tour just to see it. Just allow a little time for wandering through the little town after.

JoAnne B

On Santorini, the ruins shouldn't be missed. It's a work-in-progress and an unexpected treasure. It's worth the effort of taking a formal tour just to see it. Just allow a little time for wandering through the little town after.

JoAnne B

You should be able to arrange for the formal tour when you arrive at the site. I do not know if they permit private guides...or if there actually are any. Anyone know?

Hi, we are on 6/20 Regent and I am trying to find a private guide or arrange for a private tour via Regent for Pompeii. I will let you know what I find out, when I find it out.

If interested, we are arriving early to Athens and arranged a private guide for a day there. Apparently he comes extremely well recommended. I would be happy to pass this info along as well.

Chefpa- We have also planned to spend extra days in Athens and would love info on the private guide and also about the tour for Pompeii. Have a great cruise!

I am trying to get my head around the iPod tours. It is nice to have the information, but there is something about shutting out the sounds of the place I am seeing due to the headphones that makes me feel like I am missing something. To me it is more about being there than the dry information about the place.

I could be wrong about it, but that is the thing I am trying to resolve in my own head.

You have a good point about the Ipod- The benefits that I was thinking of are being able to go at your own pace, if you want to stop and look at something longer you can, as with a group tour you're out of luck. Also being able to repeat the commentary if you miss something. We just took an Ipod tour at a Chateau in France and thought it was very well done and easy to use..

I'd like the guide in Athens too please, as we arrive a day early.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from central

Athens to the port and is cab the best way?

In Sorrento we found Giancarlo from Tour of Italy, came recommended either these boards or Fodors, can't remember. Going to give him a try for a drive down the coast, lunch and Pompeii in afternoon as suggested here.

Carol - maybe we will meet up on board - My name is Melanie and we are from Australia (which is my post timing is never up to speed with others!)

Re the IPod, I thought to give it a whirl too - you can always turn it off.

I am not speaking ill of any particular agency, or the post, but not only are references and links to them discouraged, I would caution anyone to be careful before you use an overseas agency to arrange private tours. I would suggest that your TA should have direct dealings (and therefore accountability) with the tour guide...and hopefully experience to bolster your TA's recommendation.

There are a number of excellent tour guides in Athens. There is no need to work through two layers of agencies. Just my opinion. (And I don't mean to offend anyone.)

I agree with that general statement.

My TA did considerable research of this person (whose agency also has tour guides). One might clssify his agency as multi-faceted in this sense.

In any event, while I am certain there are a number of good guides, the offer was only to pass along that which I know, as well as any personal experience that I might find out when I take the tour arranged for me by my TA. So, if I was not clear enough before, I have no vested interest in endorsing any view, just passing along the information available to me.

Incidentally, amongst other forms of referrals, my TA checked various reputable (according to her experience) TA boards, found this person as strongly recommended and then contacted those agents and asked for particulars. She well understands that we do not want to be guinea pigs in this process.

Hope that clarifies the situation on my end.

I'd like the guide in Athens too please, as we arrive a day early.

In Sorrento we found Giancarlo from Tour of Italy, came recommended either these boards or Fodors, can't remember. Going to give him a try for a drive down the coast, lunch and Pompeii in afternoon as suggested here.

Carol - maybe we will meet up on board - My name is Melanie and we are from Australia (which is my post timing is never up to speed with others!)

Re the IPod, I thought to give it a whirl too - you can always turn it off.

Hi Melanie- We'll see you on the ship- We're from California & I'm traveling with my husband and brother in law and sister in law. It's always fun to meet new people on board.

Oops,

Forgot to ask...where do you get the Ipod tour stuff...it might be a nice addition to a tour.

Chef Peter

Hi Chefpa-

The Ipod tour info is on the list of Regent shore excursions. They indicate that you can use your own Ipod and download the tour or they have a limited number of Ipods on board to use as well.

If you decide to use this, let me know how it goes. Also, let me know about your guide in Athens when you return. Hope it works out well.

Sorry, but I need to disagree with the concept that the only good tours are those booked through a TA or Regent. It is correct that CruiseCritic rules prevent anyone from advertising or recommending a tour company unless it has been specifically asked for by someone (hope I got that rule right). However, if you check out "Ports" on the Message Boards (then "Europe" and "Western Mediterrean" for places mentioned on this thread).

We are going from Monte Carlo to Athens next year and are already checking out private and/or small group tours. Common sense requires a bit of research and recommendations (most can be obtained by reading through posts on CruiseCritic).

In March we booked private and small group tours in Cozumel and Belize and booked through Regent for Key West. The Belize tour in particular was the best we have ever taken (3 people on tour with us) Cozumel was also very good --maximum of 15 people on the snorkeling boat. We probably could not have done these tours through Regent (especially in Cozumel where 5 cruise ships were in port the same day). Although I believe Regent has some good tours, the one we did in Key West where there were 117 Carnival passengers and 7 Regent passengers on one catamaran was definitely a low point (I believe Regent may have stopped using this company).

Sorry this is so long -- just want to give another (positive) side to the tour options. Using local companies that get to keep 100% of the profits and provide excellent tours works for us!

TC2, you misread what I was saying.

I never said there was a problem with using local tour operators and, in fact, if your TA is upfront with you, the price will be the same or lower than if you book yourself. (A pet peeve of mine is a TA marking up an otherwise non-commissionable tour...Just another of the reasons I got into the business.)

What I was referring to was the referral by a TA or someone else, especially on a message board, to...another TA...who would then book the tour with a company you have no direct knowledge of (and, of course, no accountability).

By all means, if you have personal knowledge or wish to book directly, go for it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

For example, some of my clients will ask me what I think about a particular tour and I give them my opinion and the option to let me book it for them. Some say fine, others do it themselves...and others, on occasion, find their independence to be a bit of a hassle and come back to me and then ask that I do it. (Similarly, some people book their cruises directly and others use TAs. It just depends on the perceived value of the service.)

Hope this clears my comments up.

Apparently I have run afoul of the moderator and the rules by providing the referral, something I had no intention of doing.

I agree that I do not have personal experience with the tour operator and thus my referral would fall into the second hand information category.

That said, it was requested by several on the board and was not intended as a "plug" for either the guide in Athens (who also has the travel agency as I explained) nor my own TA. It was also not a referral to a TA who arranged it with another party. The TA in Athens is the tour guide, or members of his staff are the guides. Likewise I am not a TA and my comments are made in that light.

I will endeavor to be more careful.

As the earlier referral to the guide in Kusadasi was not removed, I assume that this is acceptable. Therefor I will post my PERSONAL experience once I have it. I hope this is acceptable.

Chefpa

TC2, you misread what I was saying.

What I was referring to was the referral by a TA or someone else, especially on a message board, to...another TA...who would then book the tour with a company you have no direct knowledge of (and, of course, no accountability).

By all means, if you have personal knowledge or wish to book directly, go for it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I forgot to make mention of this comment.

Again, I was quite clear in making the referral that I had not yet had personal experience with this guide, that my TA had checked them out and that I was willing to post the results of my personal experience. I do not think accountability is an issue when you are discussing message boards where lay people post their personal opinions, experiences and provide guidance or advice to those that ask questions. Or perhaps I have misunderstood the nature of this message board. Perhaps I am unique in taking comments and feedback at their face value, rather than assuming that the individual in question has a vested interest or perhaps a "bone to pick" when they answer a thread. I am beginning to wonder otherwise.

First...don,t sweat it. We all make a bad post once in a while.

Second, it is not a poster's accountability that 8'm talking about. It is the tour guide and TA's.

No bones to pick; just a bit of what to do when a good tour goes badly...or the guide doesn't show..after the client has paid.

Archived