Recent May/June Experiences with Red October and Copenhagen Marriott

dog

I would appreciate anyone who has any recent experiences with Red October or the Copenhagen Marriott to let us know how things went. Were you satisfied? Is there anything we should know before going on the trip? How are the new tour company laws affecting Red October?

Are the HOHO bus/boat tours stopping at the Marriott?

I am specifically looking for recent experiences for May 2007 and June 2007.

Thanks,

dog

I would appreciate anyone who has any recent experiences with Red October or the Copenhagen Marriott to let us know how things went. Were you satisfied? Is there anything we should know before going on the trip? How are the new tour company laws affecting Red October?

Are the HOHO bus/boat tours stopping at the Marriott?

I am specifically looking for recent experiences for May 2007 and June 2007.

Thanks,

dog

I know this is prior to your request, but in 2005 I stayed at the Copenhagen Marriott and it was the great, I can personally recommend this hotel very highly. We also took Red October and were very pleased, no problems, no complaints, we did and saw a lot. They did a great job.

I am not familiar with HOHO bus at Marriott, but there is a water bus that stops at the Marriott, and a canal cruise that does a 9:45 am trip from the hotel. http://www.canaltours.dk/DCT/EN/Waterbus/ http://www.canaltours.dk/DCT/EN/GuidedSightSeeing/ Please look around these websites for specifics. Have fun.

We spent one night at the Marriott before we boarded the Star Princess. Room was great. Took a taxi to the peer and about $45. They have a shuttle but that was more than the taxi and we had 4 of us. Train station was only about 3 long blocks away and Tavoli Gardens were across from the station. Prices were outrageous at Tavoli so we went across the street and only paid about $100 for 4 burgers and a few sodas. Still in sticker shock. If you plan to have a drink you can try the Hard Rock at happy hour since beers and some drinks were 1/2 price.

We spent three nights at the Copenhagen Marriott last September. It is a nice hotel in a good location. You are about a ten minute walk to Tivoli and if you have the time I would recommend walking over there at night. There are lots of restaurants right there so you could ask the concierge for a recommendation.

Eating out in Copenhagen is a bit on the expensive side so be aware of that.

Copenhagen is a wonderful city to stroll around if you enjoy walking around the city.

Keith

My party of 4 has a private tour for two days with Red October last month (we were on NCL Dream). We thought they were great - both the driver and the guide, and that we learned so much more than we would have if we had gone on the ship's excursions.

Please keep the information coming.

Some of us staying at the Marriott pre and post cruise are wondering taxi/shuttle costs to and from airport, pier and hotel.

Also interested in the restaurants you ate at in Copenhagen.

dog

Here what I wrote in a review of St.Petersburg and Red October from our recent June 2, 2007 Constellation cruise.

St.Petersburg:

I had arranged a tour with Red October for 13 of us from the ship. It was wonderful. Our tour guide, Irina, was quite knowledgeable, and very fluent in English, and we enjoyed her very much. We saw all the places we wanted to see, plus some. We saw Catherines Palace, Peterhof Palace and Gardens, Hermitage with Gold Room, Peter and Paul Fortress, St. Isaacs Cathedral, Church of the Spilled Blood, and had a Hydrofoil ride back to the city from Peterhof. We had several photo stops, the best being the church that I can only explain as looking like a wedding cake. Lunches on both days were in Russian restaurants. Lunch the first day was good; it was in a neat cavernous place and lunch was ready on our arrival (choices called in ahead of time so we would maximize time at the Hermitage). Lunch the second day left many of us still hungry - our fault since we voted on what we wanted. Of the choices, we selected to partake of the 'businessman's lunch' and beer at a micro-brewery. The food selection was limited and the beer - won't go there. However, this place did offer amusement. The mens and womens restroom signage were unique. One was a tap, complete with spiggot and knobs. The two days with Red October were very worthwhile, in my opinion. We learned a lot of history, saw the incredible life styles of the tsars from the vantage point of their palaces, and got a sense of a people who were suppressed for many generations, actually centuries. We had opportunity to shop - we stopped at 3 different places. Another thing a few of us did with Red October was to take a boat canal ride the first evening. Very worthwhile, it provided a perspective of St. Petersburg we couldn't have gotten any other way. This city was certainly the highlight of the cruise. The buildings, the statues, etc. can't all be explained in words, only witnessed with your own eyes. Again, wonderful weather both days. Oh, I should mention, for lunch on the first day, our original intent was to take boxed lunches with us from the ship; however, the ship would not do that.:)

Len

Please keep the information coming.

Some of us staying at the Marriott pre and post cruise are wondering taxi/shuttle costs to and from airport, pier and hotel.

Also interested in the restaurants you ate at in Copenhagen.

dog

Just returned last week (June 16) from Baltic cruise ff by 5 nights at the Copenhagen Marriott. We used our Marriott points to bump up to executive level--which gave us access to the executive lounge overlooking the river/harbor at the top of the hotel--ample breakfast, cookies and various soft drinks/water/coffee/tea all day and heavy hor d'oeurves from 5:30-7:30, with complimentary wine and beer. We ate two nights in the lounge! Also--free internet usage round the clock. Well worth the "expense". Found the staff very helpful, especially the concierge.

Bus: #66 stops right in front of the hotel. Taxi: from pier to hotel was 143 kroner; hotel to airport, about 200 kroner.

Suggest you take Richard Karpen's walking tours (leaves from the TI across from the train station every day at 10:30). Rick Steves and most of the other travel books recommend him. We took one tour as an experiment--and liked it so much that we took 3 others with him (each very different).

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for that information.

I have Marriott points...but I booked through priceline.com for $100 U.S./night, so I probably wouldn't be able to upgrade.

Did you upgrade with your points when you checked in or before you arrived at the Marriott?

Thanks again,

dog

I have Marriott points...but I booked through priceline.com for $100 U.S./night, so I probably wouldn't be able to upgrade.

Did you upgrade with your points when you checked in or before you arrived at the Marriott?

Thanks again,

dog

We upgraded in advance, but another couple who checked in just after we did were able to upgrade on the spot--with some effort, though. It would probably be better to make the attempt through Marriott before you leave home--then try again at check-in if you're not successful. Either way, the hotel is still really nice...and $100 per night is a steal!

Good luck--and enjoy! :)

:D We had a great room at the Copenhagen Marriott on 6-23-07 with great views of Tivoli Gardens and fireworks, great air conditioning, modern bathrooms, and a wonderful bed! Great buffet breakfast downstairs and good pizza and beer at night. Highly recommend!!:D

Hi,

I was wondering how you booked the room at the marriot. Did you use priceline.com or did you use the bidding process within priceline.com?

When did you book the room? The current price for a room at the Marriot is $402 US. I take it that the bidding process might let me have it for 160-200?

Regards,

Lovetotravel8

Thanks again,

dog

Hi,

I was wondering how you booked the room at the marriot. Did you use priceline.com or did you use the bidding process within priceline.com?

When did you book the room? The current price for a room at the Marriot is $402 US. I take it that the bidding process might let me have it for 160-200?

Regards,

Lovetotravel8

Hi,

I used priceline and saw what they wanted for the room at the Marriott...then I went to www.biddingfortravel.com to see what others were getting the room for at the Copenhagen Marriott through priceline's Name Your Own Price option.

I bid $100 US per night and got it on my first try. Now, I did that last fall for this fall, so I don't know if that will make a difference.

I also went to the Marriott hotel's own website to see what they wanted for the room. It was $300+ range.

Yesterday I checked and Marriott's site shows a room for about 1199DKK which is less than you mention.

Try other travel sites to see their prices.

dog

We just got back from the Baltic Cruise and used Red October in St. Petersburg. They were great. Our guide Olga was very knowledgeable. It helped a great deal to have the private tour in St. Petersburg because of the crowds of people and getting into the different places without waiting on 40 other people to stay together.

We stayed in the Clarion Mayfair in Copenhagen. DO NOT STAY THERE!!!!!!! They charged us for 4 nights and we only stayed 3 and would not adjust. So, come tomorrow, I'm calling the Credit Card company.

Have a great Trip. Take warm clothes.

Valleysmom

Thanks for the update. I have read so many things lately about the pickpockets.

We are on an independent tour in St. Petersburg and really looking forward to our 2 days there.

dog

Archived