Southampton to London - Dumb train questions

OK, we've booked a TA that will end in Southampton, and would like to spend about a week in England before flying home, I'm assuming flying from London.

Now, with all the luggage (4-5 bags) that we will have from the TA, how do we get around? I'm not crazy about a car rental because of the "wrong side" driving, but would like to do a day of two in Southampton, maybe visit another city for a day or two, and then several days in London.

My main question, being from the US with almost non-existant train travel, is luggage on a train checked, like with air travel, or will we need to haul this luggage on and off by ourselves? Also, any suggestions for the best and most economical way to get around in England, for the type of trip I describe?

You'll be hauling the luggage by yourself and storing it on the train. Almost every train I've been on is different. Sometimes, there is a luggage rack near the door. Sometimes not.

We always use the train in the U.K. for going from one city to another.

But I sure wouldn't haul 4 or 5 bags. Maybe you could reduce the amount of bags?? We have just returned from a Med cruise and it was such a struggle keeping down on the weight allowance. We packed an additional bag. This ended up being a lot of trouble. Next time, we will pack lighter. If we go over the limit, we'll just pay the $$.

We did the opposite -- two weeks in Ireland and the UK before our transatlantic cruise. We also took the train from London to Southampton and had no problem with our bags being with us, but we only had three -- two backpacks (Rick Steves) and a gym-type bag. I highly recommend traveling light -- much easier to get around!

Check the train station web site in Southampton. Most airports have a "left luggage" vendor (we used the one in Stanstead), so maybe the train station has one.

We got into Stanstead after our Med cruise, and we had packed one of our bags for the 5 days in England. We got off the plane, picked up the luggage, left the other one at the airport for $8 a day, and headed out.

With one large bag for two people, it was much easier navigating around.

Archived