Anytime Dining

I also love Freestyle Dining. In fact, I am dreading going back to traditional dining on the Freedom, but what can you do? I am looking forward to the beautiful dining room on the Freedom and am hoping there is still a midnight buffet, as that is something we missed on Princess and NCL.

If I don't want to be tied down in traditional, there is always the Windjammer and Chops and Portofino - at least RCCL gives us a choice in that respect if we want "Freestyle". So it's kind of the best of both worlds.

Well, the OP got a little oversensitive there, but I can understand to some extend. The request was not about who prefers traditional vs. anytime dining. It was, "I love anytime dining. Does RCCL offers something similar." Why it seemed to upset the OP so much, that others expressed their preference for traditional dining, I don't know.

But anyway, OP, you got your answer, so it's all good. :D Yes, RCCL offers something similar (but not quite the same) in it's specialty dining restaurants. And there is, of course always food available from somewhere . . . WindJammer, Promenade Cafe, Room Service, poolside snack bar . . . So you shouldn't go hungry.

WOW......Never realized Tradional equaled 'Panties in a Bunch' :eek:

It's amazing how people are NOT allowed to voice there views on this board, I suppose it's another difference between the lines.

Enough Said, I am glad the views expressed here Do NOT represent RCCL even if some would like too act as if they do!

If you think the flames here were hot just try suggesting that they should offer a "traditional" dining room over on the NCL boards:eek: . Now those would be flames...:D

For the record, I also would prefer an "anytime" option on the RCCI ships. Not that we particularly minded the company (after we changed from our original table) but on our last Mariner cruise DH and I just found we would have preferred to eat dinners alone. Not preferred it enough to pay $280.00 to eat specialty every night and definitely not enough to do Windjammer or room service every night either, especially when you are then expected to tip the dining room staff the full amount. (I took a beating over this one when I reported that we'd pro-rated our tips to the number of nights we actually used the dining room...:rolleyes: ).

Happy Sails,

Annette

We love the Personal Choice Dining on Princess, however we enjoy RCCL as well. We will be taking another RCCL cruise this winter and I was wondering if they have something similar?

Almost makes you not want to ask a simple question.:(

On our cruise last week the dining room was half empty every night at 6pm. Perhaps it would be a good idea to split the floors into set tables and the other floor into anytime dining. When the ships are hired out to private groups they operate freestyle dining and apparently it works then. We were 2 on a table of 10 and on our own most evenings. other tables around us were totally empty. RCCi should consider changing slightly to try and suit everybody.

Where did I, or anyone else for that matter, indicate that "people are not allowed to voice there(sic) views on this board"? I believe that you expressed your views quite well and had hoped that I presented an opposing view in a reasonable fashion. I also believe that complaining about someone telling you where and with whom to eat is a bit disingenuous and IMHO presents an unnecessarily negative image of traditional dining. Our schedules in life and on a cruise ship are pretty much determined by others who make up those schedules and there are those who prefer at least a modicum of structure in our life.

I have never claimed that my views necessarily represent those of Royal Caribbean, in the case of their position on the issue of "traditional dining", I do believe that the view I expressed is totally in line with what RCI executives have stated in public for many years. They have been asked many times if they planned to adopt some form of anytime or freestyle dining and their answer has always been a resounding no.

That is the POINT...Our scheduals in life and work(especially work) are determined by others to give us structure(their idea of structure may be different than mine or yours)..must they also be so structured during our vacation time? Isn't one of the PURPOSES of vacation is to get away from the DAY-TO-DAY boring scheduals we have and to RELAX WITHOUT RUNNING TO DO SOMETHING ELSE??? I still say a COMBINATION of both anytime dining and traditional dining would be ideal....concept of 2 dining rooms,one for traditional,one for anytime or freestyle PLUS 2-4 specialty venues would be great...people are funny-they like many options for entertainment,and do not like being told what to see,and where to go.But for dining,some people like to know that they are going to dinner at 6,sitting at table # 125 and dining with 2-3 other couples,and have Juan & Sam as their waiters-but as my brother said,who has not cruised,"what if the other couples are obnoxious & rude,and the waiters stink & have no personality,and your dining experience stunk?" "Well",I said,"unless you dine at the 3 other venues,you're stuck".....We try for a table for 2 ALWAYS..we get it about 50% of the time..My wife & I like dining alone together.RCI has only 8-12 tables for 2 on the big ships.That is a MAJOR flaw..they should have 2-3 times that much in a dining room that seats 1500,and all 3 Maitre D's on the Mariner,AOS & Freedom has admitted it....All I'm saying is variety is the spice of life-why not include that for dining???

Big Al

I regret if it appears that I was suggesting a change, I simply ASKED if it was available and stated I liked it. For that I was treated to a barage of ATTACKS that where uncalled for. To THAT I reacted ...Human Nature.
"barage of ATTACKS" ???

Things must really be boring over on the Princess boards if you consider some people, mostly politely, offering contrary opinions a "barage of ATTACKS".

We always travel with family and friends and have our own table, so we enjoy traditional dining. But, if we had to share a table with strangers, we'd pick another line. Why? Too many bad experiences during breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms on RCCL ships. Although we enjoy meeting new people and have had some good experiences, the bad have outweighed the good. Two stand out -- a table for twelve. Mom and I are seated as the last two at the table. Everyone else is family and friends and conversing in Spanish! Another -- a table for four at breakfast. Mom and I, and a couple. The couple obviously had been fighting and weren't speaking to each other. Now that was an uncomfortable breakfast. Too much indigestion for vacation! We're diamond with RCCL, so we enjoy their ships and cruises. But, eating with others is too risky.

Please reread MY original post, the one that started the thread the one YOU referred to I simply asked if it was available and stated that I liked it.

The was no call for your the tone, or implication of your post that cruiser from other lines come here to say that RCCL should change.

Further more *I* did not say that I do not like being told when or where to dine, again please reread my post.

If a subject has been discussed on these boards somewhere in the past does that mean someone new to the RCCL board, or who does not visit here often and is in search of the infomation is not free to post a question in fear of being told that that has been 'discussed before'?

Where did I, or anyone else for that matter, indicate that "people are not allowed to voice there(sic) views on this board"? I believe that you expressed your views quite well and had hoped that I presented an opposing view in a reasonable fashion. I also believe that complaining about someone telling you where and with whom to eat is a bit disingenuous and IMHO presents an unnecessarily negative image of traditional dining. Our schedules in life and on a cruise ship are pretty much determined by others who make up those schedules and there are those who prefer at least a modicum of structure in our life.

I have never claimed that my views necessarily represent those of Royal Caribbean, in the case of their position on the issue of "traditional dining", I do believe that the view I expressed is totally in line with what RCI executives have stated in public for many years. They have been asked many times if they planned to adopt some form of anytime or freestyle dining and their answer has always been a resounding no.

My husband and I have always show up somewhere around 7 to 7:30 unless we've had a late day on shore. The only time we've had to wait was on the Caribbean Princess on one Formal night and that was less than 15 minutes.

We have never called ahead for reservations, we are not that organized.

Once in a while I lurk on the Princess boards. From what I can see,

To the 2 Princess fans posting on this thread, when do you show up for dinner?

Exactly....after this I feel like on these boards I need to just lurk and HOPE I can find the answers I'm looking for :(

Thanks the powers that be for the search feature :rolleyes:

Almost makes you not want to ask a simple question.:(

Well, I guess I'm just use to kinder and gentler :o

"barage of ATTACKS" ???

Things must really be boring over on the Princess boards if you consider some people, mostly politely, offering contrary opinions a "barage of ATTACKS".

Exactly....after this I feel like on these boards I need to just lurk and HOPE I can find the answers I'm looking for :(

Thanks the powers that be for the search feature :rolleyes:

I definitely think you've overreacted. The responses weren't hostile. If it were me, I would have just rolled my eyes at those who wanted to go on a diatribe about why traditional dining was so much better. They were just giving their opinions, not attacking you. Maybe you didn't ask for those opinions, but what exactly did you find so mean-spirited?

BTW, can I ask what your experiences with RCCL have been? I did find it kind of odd in your opening post, when you included a comment that you "enjoy RCCL" and yet were asking about what dining options they offer, as if you've never cruised with them. I must admit that, on first reading, I wondered if you were just fishing to see what kind of reaction you would generate.

I couldn't agree more! We have only cruised Princess and totally enjoyed the Anytime Dining. We never had to wait at all....but that's all you hear on this board. The lack of anytime dining is one qualm I have about RCI, but we are booked on the Voyager for January, so we'll see how it goes. I think we will be in the Windjammer quite a bit. I don't like being told when I'll eat and with whom.

That was my experience on Princess as well.....and we were on an ll night cruise!!

There was a short wait for the anytime one or two nights but they asked us if we wanted to eat at an empty table in the TRADITIONAL DINING ROOM - where the people didn't show up for their traditional time.

IMHO - it works great...I love everything about RCL except that awful traditional dining.

I will be happy to answer your question. As you can see in my signature, we have sailed the Sovereign and Grandeur and love both, we are booked on the Grandeur this Dec. However these are both older ships in the fleet, while I am aware of THEIR dining options. We are looking at a trip on one of the Voyager class ships for Feb and I was wondering what the options were on the newer ships. I would love to try one of these ships. However I have a TON of questions! We are also trying to decide which line to go with for Alaska next year. We have ruled out Celebrity, the only other line we’ve sailed.

As I said we enjoy both lines. We just did the Eastern Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess so we want to do the Western on one of the Voyager class ships.

As to dining experiences, I LOVE the dining rooms! My husband however has a very high stress job and when he’s on vacation he wants to COMPLETELY relax. It is like pulling teeth to get him to dress up for formal nights, however he does the “Tux Routine” as he calls it because he knows it means a lot to me. If it was up to him we would eat in the buffets ALL the time, or room service on the balcony.

We have had a few not so pleasant experiences on BOTH lines with Traditional dining. In one case I accept some of the blame, we were at a table that had 6 people. One couple in their 70’s….the husband was a horror, loud & boring. By the second night it was clear couple #2 was not showing up anymore and the wife told me that this always happens. I couldn’t bring myself to ask to be moved.

Anne .... who does'nt like to fish

BTW, can I ask what your experiences with RCCL have been? I did find it kind of odd in your opening post, when you included a comment that you "enjoy RCCL" and yet were asking about what dining options they offer, as if you've never cruised with them. I must admit that, on first reading, I wondered if you were just fishing to see what kind of reaction you would generate.

I really prefer traditional dining. Princess has both anytime dining and traditional. I always try to book my cruise early enough so that I get traditional early seating. I will be going on RCI in October for the first time. I have early seating on this too cruise also at a large table I enjoy meeting other people. Have never had to change my table yet.

On our cruise last week the dining room was half empty every night at 6pm. Perhaps it would be a good idea to split the floors into set tables and the other floor into anytime dining. When the ships are hired out to private groups they operate freestyle dining and apparently it works then. We were 2 on a table of 10 and on our own most evenings. other tables around us were totally empty. RCCi should consider changing slightly to try and suit everybody.

Oh I couldn't agree more...and for those that insist that there is a long wait on anytime dining...all you have to do is make a reservation in the morning and you can sit where you want to...with a specific server...ANYTIME!

I dread finding out we don't have a small family only table......even though we asked for it.

Got it. So you'll be familiar with the dining room routine (of course, it's always go when you want for b-fast and lunch) and the Windjammer. The main thing different you'll see on Voyager class then is that they'll have the "Royal Promenade" where there is a little cafe available for light fare. I think all of the Voyager class also have a Portofino's, but not Chop's, for alternative dining. (Some may have both. I'm not sure, but you can check what's available on any give ship on their website.)

I for one would like an anytime dining option on RCCL. I'm not always ready to eat at the same time everyday so having an assigned time makes it difficult and sometimes makes dinner less enjoyable than what it could be. On our last 2 cruises we opted for the Windjammer and specialty resturants most nights but I missed the dining room experience.

Do any of Cafes have light evening fare?

The Promenade Cafe is primarily pizza or sandwiches. They are available in the evening, but I'm not sure that's what you mean by "evening fare."

I for one would like an anytime dining option on RCCL. I'm not always ready to eat at the same time everyday so having an assigned time makes it difficult and sometimes makes dinner less enjoyable than what it could be. On our last 2 cruises we opted for the Windjammer and specialty resturants most nights but I missed the dining room experience.

I guess I never gave it much of a second thought, because I always enjoy going to the show, and if you want to do a show, you have to plan your dining around that, anyway, which is what the "assigned" dining times do. But as I've said before, I think that's precisely why different cruise lines appeal to different people. I don't think any one cruise line can try to please everyone. RC works well for my tastes, but obviously others much prefer Princess or Carnival or NCL, etc. etc.

Oh I couldn't agree more...and for those that insist that there is a long wait on anytime dining...all you have to do is make a reservation in the morning and you can sit where you want to...with a specific server...ANYTIME!

I dread finding out we don't have a small family only table......even though we asked for it.

We can usually plan our day around a set dining time, especially since all the evening activities are scheduled with those dining times in mind. I don't see a lot of extra value in having to decide in the morning and get a reservation and then planning my day around that time.

Archived