Can I wear the same formal dress for both formal nights?

No---they'll look funny no matter what you wear. They can't help it!;)

Wear what you feel comfortable in and if they do notice, they've got too much time on their hands. Have a wonderful time!

Totally agree!!!

Think of how many people are on the ship. I can't imagine anyone remembering from one night to the next. Now if you wear NOTHING.... people may remember you!!!;)

Have a great time and don't waste one brain cell worrying about it!

Change your hair and accessories and I bet no one will even notice. Of course, if it is a very memorable dress, like a bright color or an unusual style a few may, even if they do, so what??? It will be their problem, not yours.

While I appreciate nice clothing and admire people who are finely dressed, unless they are wearing something over-the-top I barely give strangers a second glance.

Several years ago we cruised with a friend who has travelled much more of the world than I have. I noticed she was wearing some of the same clothes more than once. Instead of thinking it was odd, I realised she was being a lot smarter about it than I. She inspired me to pack lighter, it's possible to do so and still look stylish, it's the choices, not the quantity that matters. Gone are my days of 2 outfits for every day/evening and 10 pair of shoes for a weeks vacation.

One idea that I have used several times is to get one skirt and two different tops. Once I had a long silver satin skirt with a white/silver top and a pink/silver top. Another time I had a long black skirt with a red top and a white top. I got the black skirt on sale. It was easy to pack and looked entirely different each night. Plus I could wear the same shoes.

I fully understand the issue of being on a tight budget. For my two week cruise, with three formal nights, I only bought one dress. My other formal dress is an old bridesmaid gown (actually, I have several of these, but not enough room to pack them), so I'll definitely be wearing something more than once. However, you may want to consider figuring out how much you can afford, and spliting it between two dresses. I've seen many people on this board picking up stunning, but very cheap, dresses on e-bay, at dept store sales, and etc. I look at the formal dress rack at Marshall's every time I'm there just in case they have something great for cheap. It can be done.

Good luck and happy shopping!

sounds fine to me! the only ones who *might* notice are your tablemates. and even they might not notice. plus, if they do, who cares? you are being smart - less to pack and less to spend. i also agree that you should shop cheaply. you can get some great deals if you search around.

My friend is very well off and can afford whatever she wants. When her son got married, she wore a dress she loved. Then when her daughter got married two years later, she didn't hesitate -- she wore the same dress because she felt good in it and knew she looked terrific. I don't know if anyone noticed she wore the same outfit, but everyone could see she was happy and confident!

Chicos has a Travelers dress in black I think it's the Vivian style. If you pair this with a sparkly silver belt and Rhinestone accesories one night and completely different set maybe in the gold family another you have 2 outfits Voila and nobody will know. I don't say necessarily for formal night but heck it's possible with the right shoes and accesories you can save luggage space.

I see nothing wrong with it at all but this a good time for a little white lie if it does bother you. When you arrive at the table you can say "Have you ever seen such a klutz I spilled a glass of red wine on my dress just before we were leaving the room, oh well I'm glad I had this one or I guess it would have been the buffet for me tonight!

Karysa

All the major department stores are having fabulous sales right now. I picked up a beautiful, short, jeweled cocktail dress at Dillard's for $20 and I saw many more that were $20 or under. I don't know what you planned to spend for one dress, but I have many that I have bought at Marshall's, Macy's, Dillard's and ebay ($10 & $15). All of them were under $40, with most of them being under $20. If you haven't yet made the purchase, go and look around! Otherwise, a little black dress is always perfect with accessories and nobody would notice! ;)

If you don't mind, then sure you can! And I personally would never make an excuse for it.

I would also suggest you consider a pair of evening pants or skirt with two different tops. Mix and match is always a good way to pack and separates are a good investment where a long dress might not be worn much unless your life includes formal events.

One idea that I have used several times is to get one skirt and two different tops. Once I had a long silver satin skirt with a white/silver top and a pink/silver top. Another time I had a long black skirt with a red top and a white top. I got the black skirt on sale. It was easy to pack and looked entirely different each night. Plus I could wear the same shoes.

This is a great idea!

Archived