Quest delayed - raw deal?

zaandam_2

Captain, I am curious: over the past year or so, you have been extremely vocal on Cruise Critic everytime something goes wrong at Celebrity (POD problems, Journey's launch, etc.). Why are you still cruising Celebrity despite your obvious dislike of the line? I myself had a major fall out with American Airlines once, and have simply stopped flying them ever since!

Best Regards,

Floris

Hi Floris - Yes, I am sort of pest on these boards. The short answer is that X seems to be going where I want to go when I want to go there, plus even Infinity is a "small ship" when compared to the floating shopping malls being operated by Royal Carribean and Princess. My wife had been on a cruise years ago on Carnival and based on her experience we would never even consider them. SO, that leaves us in the middle with X. Can't afford the premium lines but do like the amenities of CC and the itineraries.

My posts about pods relate to the fact that pod problems cause missed ports or shortened times in port and itinerary is very important to us. So, I'd like to see the line improve, which is why I voice my concerns. If there was a similar option I'd be ready to try it, which is why I booked on Journey - thinking that it would be more like Oceania (based on X's marketing) but would still be affordable for us. Now, after booking some non-refundable pre-cruise tours out of Buenos Aires I am reading posts - even positive ones - that confirm that CC on Journey does not match the amenities of CC on X, the food is about the same, the staterooms are smaller than what was stated on the website at the time I booked, etc.. I would say that I am very frustrated with X. But you make a good point - maybe I should be looking harder for alternatives. See you on the Carnaval cruise!

Captain, You mentioned the cabin size being smaller than was advertised when you booked? That just jogged my memory. I was booked in a SV room on the 10/19 sailing. When re-booking I realized the stateroom size was 175 SF. I thought I remembered it being over 200 SF. We consider CC on the Millennium ships as minimum cabin size at 192 SF. Do you recall what the published size was for the verandah staterooms. We booked Quest in January before it was branded Expeditions or eventually changed to Azamara. It has been full of surprises!

In its early days, Oceania dealt with many of the same issues Azamara is now struggling with. If you read through the very earliest CC posts on the Oceania board, you will recognize many of the same complaints--small rooms, poor food, indifferent service, etc. Oceania's management stepped up to the plate and addressed each of these problems, one by one. The company's CEO, Frank del Rio, even began monitoring and participating in CC in order to use it as a free "focus group" to better understand his customers needs and wants. The result is the successful cruise line that is now Oceania. Celebrity management will have to make the same level of effort in order to reach the same level of success.

seems like there always is a complaint no matter what the cruise lines do. Cancelling well in advance with credits seems more than fair.

I agree, Its amazing, when the cruiseline does something right some can never get around to saying they did without criticizing in some way. Seems the OP asked a question and didn't really want an answer. Have to wonder about the whole purpose of this thread....

I agree, Its amazing, when the cruiseline does something right some can never get around to saying they did without criticizing in some way. Seems the OP asked a question and didn't really want an answer. Have to wonder about the whole purpose of this thread....

Hi Don !

Regarding the purpose of the thread.... I do not disagree with you. However, even though you and I may not agree with some of these posts, I am trying my very best to let everyone have their say. As you are always extremely considerate on the boards, and I value your opinion, I sincerely hope you will appreciate my effort :)

Have to wonder about the whole purpose of this thread....

i thought i stated my original post very clearly. after reading the news article on the front page i thought the offer of compensation for the cancelled cruise, caused by X's poor planning, was quite chintzy. i wondered how others felt. exchanging ideas and opinions (good and bad) is the purpose of this board.

Archived