Travelling w/DD's friend

kml2000

I sought help on this board on what was necessary when taking my daughter's friend on our cruise. I noticed several other people have asked the question and thought I would share our experience (I actually think it is a little funny).

At the recommendation of many, I got a notarized statement authorizing her to travel on our ship and to our ports of call. I kept it with me when we got off the ship, etc. We checked in, got off the ship and back on in each port and were never asked for it.

Now the cute part - at the VERY end of the cruise, we went through customs. The customs agent looked at the passports and asked, "are you all related?". We said "no, XXXX is my daughter's friend". He then asked if I had authorization to take her out of the country. I said yes and asked if he wanted to me to get the letter (in my carry on bag - hadn't been asked for it up to this point). He said no, but if I didn't have it, he could keep her there.

NOW........if I was trying to abduct her, would I be bringing her BACK to the country?? I know, I know.....it is good that he mentioned it at all, but it just seemed cute to me that at the very end I was asked for it. :D

This is something I never thought of. My sister will be taking my daughter & 2 of her friends on a cruise for their senior trip next year. The most important thing on my mind is their passports, never thinking about a notorized document for traveling, giving my sister permission to travel out of the country with them. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!!

4 trips with a niece or nephew

4 notarized permission letters from parents (and yes it needs to be signed by BOTH parents)

0 times asked to see the letter coming or going

About to take the 5th and final niece on her trip... will I get the letter? YOU BET! Definitely better safe than sorry!

I think this topic needs to come up every so often to remind people. Thanks!

Laura

4 notarized permission letters from parents (and yes it needs to be signed by BOTH parents)

About to take the 5th and final niece on her trip... will I get the letter? YOU BET! Definitely better safe than sorry!

Laura

The most important thing that the letter needs to contain is that you are her medical guardian while travelling. Of course, it needs to state you have permission to take her out of the country also :)

We bring the kids friend a lot with us, never been asked to see the letter. But if they get sick and you don't have it, it's a problem.

We have taken a friend of our daughter's numerous times. We've always had the letter drawn up and notarized. The only times we have ever been asked to show it was in Cozumel and at customs during debarkation at the end of the cruise. It is also a good idea to include a few dates longer than the scheduled cruise in case there is a problem extending beyond that.

I am taking my DD and her freind in July. My TA gave me a form from Carnival that said it was for "minors" under 21. I filled this out and faxed it back to Carnival. My question is this..she is 19 years old, I don't need a notarized letter from her parents to take her out of the country as well, do I?

I am taking my DD and her freind in July. My TA gave me a form from Carnival that said it was for "minors" under 21. I filled this out and faxed it back to Carnival. My question is this..she is 19 years old, I don't need a notarized letter from her parents to take her out of the country as well, do I?

I could have written this post except for the fact that I haven't gotten any papers to fill out and fax to Carnival!

Do you need it for a 19 year old?

I could have written this post except for the fact that I haven't gotten any papers to fill out and fax to Carnival!

Do you need it for a 19 year old?

Here is a copy and paste of the form that I received from my TA that she got from Carnival

PARENT/GUARDIAN PERMISSION FORM

(To be completed for any Carnival Guests under age 21)

Name of Guest _____________________________ Birth date _________________

Name of Group ___________________ Ship _________________ Sailing _________________

Travel Agency ____________________________ Booking#_________________________

Name of Parent or Guardian ________________________ Phone # ______________________

I/We hereby give my permission for the above named guest to participate in a group cruise

vacation on board the referenced Carnival Fun Ship. I/we understand and accept the conditions

for our child to travel. FOR MINORS UNDER THE AGE OF 18: I/We hereby designate

___________________________ who is sharing a cabin with our child and whose relationship

to the child is_________________, to be responsible for our child during the cruise, (see #1

below). Furthermore, should my child require routine or emergency medical attention during the

cruise, I specifically authorize the above named person to make any and all necessary parental

decisions concerning any and all medical treatment that my child may require.

Signature of Parent or Guardian: ______________________________

Signature of Chaperone: ____________________________________

I understand that, as the chaperone, it will be my obligation to see that ________________

behaves in a civil manner and adheres to the guidelines below during the cruise

For the safety, security and enjoyment of all of our guests, the following rules must

be followed:

1. Guests under the age of 18 years must be accompanied, in the same stateroom, by their

parent, grandparent or legal guardian, 25 years of age or older.

2. The legal drinking age onboard is 21 and is strictly enforced. We do not permit the

purchase of drinks or bottles of liquor by adults for minors. Possession of alcohol by a

minor will not be tolerated and any found will be confiscated (even if found in cabin).

3. Purchase, possession and consumption of drugs is illegal.

4. No abusive, offensive, vulgar language or gestures should be directed to other guests or

to staff and crew.

5. Large radios (“boom boxes”) are not permitted on board.

6. Headphones must be used with radios on deck.

7. No running in the hallways.

8. No noise in cabin areas or corridors.

9. Our shipboard credit program (“Sail & Sign”) requires either a minimum $100.00 cash

deposit or a credit card, (American Express, Discover, VISA or MasterCard) IN THE

GUEST’S OWN NAME, presented at check-in. The credit card companies prohibit use of

an account other than that of the traveling guest. If desired, a cash deposit for the “Sail

& Sign” card may be forwarded to Carnival via your travel agent with the final payment

or at latest, by 30 days prior to sailing. This step will eliminate the inconvenience of long

lines on board the ship on embarkation day. The guest is responsible to keep a positive

cash balance at all times during the cruise. If there is an overage on the account, the

guest is issued a check on board the morning of debarkation day with a copy of the final

statement.

Failure to comply with these guidelines will result in the offender(s) being removed from the ship

to make his or her own way home. Alternatively, the disruptive guest(s) may be confined to their

stateroom for the duration of the voyage.

Just thought I'd let you know, the above permission form your travel agent gave you to fax to Carnival only applies to minor's booked on a "group" cruise with unrelated "chaperones". Below is a copy of the form you need to take with you.

I hope this helps.

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

Just thought I'd let you know, the above permission form your travel agent gave you to fax to Carnival only applies to minor's booked on a "group" cruise with unrelated "chaperones". Below is a copy of the form you need to take with you.

I hope this helps.

That is exactly what I need..I am taking a "minor" on the group cruise we are going on, and I am her unrelated chaperone. What I was wondering is if I need something singned to take her out of the country since she isn't legally a minor, or if I only need the one that carnival requires me to have.

Laura

Same here...We took our daughter's friend to Jamaica 3 times at 15, 16, & 17 years of age. Always had the signed and notorized letters and were never once asked for them. In two weeks we're taking another friend (17) on a W. Caribbean cruise. Just in case we're prepared with the letters.

I am still confussed! Do I need this if My DD's 19 year old friend is traveling with us, not on a group cruise! It's just the four of us in two rooms. She is paying for all her own traveling expenses! Should I just call my TA in the morning to make sure that this is not required? I would hate for her to not be able to go into the ports or not get back into the US:eek: without this letter!

brlady - I don't necessarily know if it is a "requirement", but it would definitely be to your benefit if anything were to happen, especially the medical part. I didn't post in my original post, but my letter also authorized me to make emergency medical decisions for the teen that travelled with my daughter. It was not the group letter that was posted. In fact, my PVP with Carnival told me I didn't have to have anything for her to travel with me (didn't take THAT advice). I am not sure about the legal issues with her being over 18. Some places consider this an age of majority, some don't.

brlady - I don't necessarily know if it is a "requirement", but it would definitely be to your benefit if anything were to happen, especially the medical part. I didn't post in my original post, but my letter also authorized me to make emergency medical decisions for the teen that travelled with my daughter. It was not the group letter that was posted. In fact, my PVP with Carnival told me I didn't have to have anything for her to travel with me (didn't take THAT advice). I am not sure about the legal issues with her being over 18. Some places consider this an age of majority, some don't.

Thanks for the help! I guess I will call my TA and see if he has a copy of a letter of this type so I can have her parents fill it out!

Thanks again!

I am still confussed! Do I need this if My DD's 19 year old friend is traveling with us, not on a group cruise! It's just the four of us in two rooms. She is paying for all her own traveling expenses! Should I just call my TA in the morning to make sure that this is not required? I would hate for her to not be able to go into the ports or not get back into the US:eek: without this letter!

This is from the US Department of State website, so it would seem for both of us since we are talking about 19 year olds we do not need the letter.

Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The child must be carrying the original letter – not a faxed or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate) – and an original custody decree, if applicable.

I traveled with kml2000 ( im her neice) im 19 and my best friend (20) went with us....when we disembarked we were not with my parents due to our cabins being on two different decks...we went to two different customs agents and were not asked anything about who we were traveling with or anything of that nature. i think your daughters friend will be fine since she is over 18.

Many thanks from someone who was lurking on this thread. We leave for the airport in about 8 hours for our cruise starting tomorrow. My brother will be bringing his two girls (15 and 13) and one of their friends (13). We didn't know until Friday about these forms and we figured out last minutes that we needed something. This thread has been very helpful. We got forms printed and signed. We especially didn't think about the girls travelling with their dad but not their mom, so my brother had to run over to his ex's house to get her to sign the form (they did get it notarized) just to be safe.

Thanks again! This is one weight off our minds now that this was all taken care of. I am particularly irritated with the Carnival group office. They knew that we were taking a non-related 13 year old and never once mentioned the group form or another form. I ended up calling our PVP and she helped as much as she could, but the Carnival reservations are so screwy that once you are in the system with a group, the PVP's are locked out of most of your records and cannot help you much. And the group office is extremely bad about calling anyone back. Since January, I have been trying to get answers out of the group office and unless I get through directly, have never once received a return phone call from over a dozen calls. I heard from our PVP that this is a frequent complaint.

Archived