Choosing a cabin

vfb2girls

Now that NCL has posted the cruise details for Hawaii 2008 I think I may have it narrowed down to the Pride of Aloha. I am looking at booking a oceanview cabin, thought about doing a balcony but can't justify the cost since this cruise is so port intensive. For those of you who have sailed this ship and had an ocean view cabin what should I book? Which deck should I book it on? Any suggestions would be welcomed. One more thing, it states that there are two lower beds in this type of cabin, do they push together for a queen size bed?

Girls,

I was on the Pride of America around Hawaii this past Nov. I can't say what an oceanview room is like, as we had a balcony. I just know that no matter how many stops we made. At night after a full day of ziplining,snorkeling or just plain sightseeing. That balcony was a welcome retreat to the hustle bustle of the day and the ship !! Our own private space with a good drink and a great companion to star gaze, or re-hash our day was priceless!!.......... We were deck 10 center of ship. I am going on the Dawn with 5 girlfriends in Jan. and we have BALCONY cabins :) Either way you'll LOVE IT !!

Girls, I was on the Pride of America this past Nov. and we had a balcony cabin. Not sure of oceanview, but at night after a full day of ziplining, snorkeling or just plain sightseeing we sooo appreciated the quietness of our private space. We spent most evenings there with a drink star gazing or just rehashing our day. I am going on the Dawn in Jan. with 5 girlfriends who have never cruised and we decided to opt for the x-tra $$ for the balconys as well. My opinion is it is SO worth it, no matter how many stops the ship made. Also on the America, when we booked I requested the beds be pushed together (forms a sm. queen) and it was done when we arrived. Have FUN..........it's GORGEOUS beyond belief !!!! BeachBabe2

So does anyone have a different opinion. We do like balcony rooms but since Hawaii is so expensive we were actually thinking about an inside cabin:eek: Will I regret this if I do? I totally agree with beachbabe2 but in this case I just don't know if I can justify the cost like vfb2girls says.

Balconeys are nice. They cost more. Whether it is 'worth it' has always reminded me of asking someone 'how long is a piece of string?'.

You need to triage your resources and spend where you think you are going to get the most bang for your buck enjoyment-wise. I really do not understand how anyone but you can do that.

For what it is worth, it is not uncommon to book an inside and be offered an upgrade to a balconey.

Fin I'm not really asking for you to make a decision for me, I was just getting opinions, that's what we're here for.:) I understand it sounds like a funny question but if 10 people come back and say "go for the balcony" it seems more likely a good decision. Thanks for the info on the upsell, that sounds like a good option also.

So does anyone have a different opinion. We do like balcony rooms but since Hawaii is so expensive we were actually thinking about an inside cabin:eek: Will I regret this if I do? I totally agree with beachbabe2 but in this case I just don't know if I can justify the cost like vfb2girls says.

There is NOTHING wrong with having an inside cabin...

There are plenty of places you can go to sit and see the views on the ship without having your own balcony, like the promenade, or up on the upper decks... or the aft section...

If you are like me, you will hardly spend any time in your cabin anyway. So if the price is easier on you with the inside room, go for it! You will never regret it :) While your own balcony is certain great, don't feel bad if you choose to spend less and not have that luxury.:)

Now that NCL has posted the cruise details for Hawaii 2008 I think I may have it narrowed down to the Pride of Aloha. I am looking at booking a oceanview cabin, thought about doing a balcony but can't justify the cost since this cruise is so port intensive. For those of you who have sailed this ship and had an ocean view cabin what should I book? Which deck should I book it on? Any suggestions would be welcomed. One more thing, it states that there are two lower beds in this type of cabin, do they push together for a queen size bed?

Im not sure,since I havent sailed on POAl...but..I was looking at the NCL book for your ship,and the oceanview stateroom shows what looks to be a queen size bed..but if two singles,Im sure you could have them pushed together if you want.Most ships will do this for you.

Ive only had one oceanview cabin,and I guess I would take it over an inside cabin,although only if its a few dollars more.And as far as a deck,cant help you there.I love the balconys,so,Im spoiled to them. I too debated about whether or not to book one for our upcoming trip.In the end,I sprung for it since I like to walk out and see whats going on! I dont sleep that well,so its nice being able to get outside without putting on all your clothes.

I think I would decide if I took the balcony,would it mean cutting back some where else.If so,take an inside or the oceanview...but,you will probably have a wonderful time no matter where you end up! Dot

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

We are sailing on the POAl in August and my husband, 3yr old DS and I will be in an inside cabin. I think that we aren't going to be spending a heck of a lot of time in the cabins as it is and we figured that we would spend our money elsewhere. I'm glad too, I just figured out that the excursions alone is going to cost the three of us another $1,500.00 to $2,000.00. Unless we were going to be hanging out in the cabin for long periods of time, I would have sprang (is that a word?) for the window or the balcony (i.e. honeymooners).

BTW, I've sailed with a girlfriend of mine on Carnival in a window cabin and the cabin was very nice but it didn't make too much of a difference, we were only there to sleep at night. We were upgraded to it, so it didn't cost extra.

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you decide...

Cheers!

We alsways try to book a balcony. We have 2 boys (6+4) and we need the extra room on the balcony for strollers and stuff. I love to get up early and sit there without being bothered or caring what I look like.

On our next cruise we are in an inside room because that is what we can afford. It is hard to cruise every year for us, but the credit card for NCL really help us out.

My husband is not happy we are in an inside, but I would rather jsut be able to be on the ship. Take the extra money and do a couple of extra excursions. I mean how many times will you be in Hawaii?

We'll be on the Pride of Aloha on 9/29. We had some trouble justifying the cost of a balcony cabin since, as you mentioned, the cruise is so very port intensive. We enjoy the pleasure of being with others, so we tend to spend our "down time" walking the ship, poking around in the shops, or sitting in a deck chair with an iced tea, people-watching. Is there a better place to people watch than on a cruise ship?

We've done a balcony and have found that (especially in the Caribbean), many folks use their balconies to smoke cigars, and we have had to retreat inside!

We've done a balcony and have found that (especially in the Caribbean), many folks use their balconies to smoke cigars, and we have had to retreat inside!

This is the ONLY time that I dont like having a balcony.Thank goodness I have only had this happen once,but I couldnt even open my door without my whole cabin filling up with smoke. And after the fire on the Star,I can only hope they are not tossing that cigar/cigarette butt over board! I would cruise on a no-smoking ship! Ofcourse my hubby would not be with me! :) He is on again -off again with his smoking habit.

Archived