Group Cruise Issue

We booked a cruise through a local agent near my parents house (a land based person). After we all put our deposits down etc., she sent us confirmations and wrote the amount we owe on them. We booked enough cabins to get a discount.

She wrote deposit $1000, balance due $859.04 on 6/18/07. When I called today to pay they are now saying that I owe the entire balance that RCCL shows (without the group discount) and that we were get credited back later - is that true?

I am going to fax them copies of the paperwork this afternoon.

Guest nhrich

It's probably right. RCCL does not give discounted rates for groups (the group price is the same price as individual at the time the group is blocked). The discount is probably the free berth(s), and isn't paid back to the TA until after the cruise.

The agent should have been up front about that though at the time of booking. There's no excuse for not finding out until final payment. Make sure it's in writing that you'll be getting something back (and what).

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Hmm two totally conflicting responses. The main problem is that they want me to pay $929.05 and I was under the impression, by what she wrote, that we owed $556.65 - which is what I saved for (we took 3 ppl off the booking since then - just 3rd and 4th people not another cabin). I already used the other money to pay for an excursion.

There is no way I can come up with $400 in a week.

They are saying that we won't get the money back until after we cruise. Final payment is in a week and the group is my parents, my brother and my sister - we are all going so there is no issue there. I wouldn't mind paying the extra money (if I can juggle things to come up with it) as long as I get it back on the 19th after my family has all paid. Mostly everyone is paying this week or by the end of next week.

I just think it is bologna that I call to make my final payment and BAMM I am told something totally different when I have it in writing from the TA already. How do I know that they will give me anything back after final payment even if they put it in writing.

Do you have a credit card that you can use, then pay back as soon as you get the money? Or, they can credit back the card?

I never use a check to pay for cruises, only a credit card. If there is any dispute, you have the power of the company behind you. If you pay with a check, you just have to have trust in them. BTW, don't pay anything to the TA, only to the cruise line :)

I can't pay the cruise line since we booked with a TA. The dispute on the credit card is a good idea. I am just worried about not getting the $372 back. That is a lot of money.

I've done 3 group cruises with RCCL and have gotten the money back after the cruise is completed. It took about 6 weeks. You will get the price of the lowest paying passenger minus taxes. Don't stress. Have a nice cruise.

Boy I have no faith in this TA now. I just faxed her the information and she said the hand written note on there is really how much I owe and that we are getting a credit back after the cruise. I have no idea what is going on. We shouldn't be getting this much back (not that I am complaining). Something just isn't right and I am not sure how to fix it. Now I am really concerned that I am going to wind up being overcharged.

She says we owe $869.04 for two reservations $1738.08 total. We just took off 2 ppl totaling $1181.43 so by my calculations we should owe $556.65 from her note.

Now the RCCL confirmation is $2005.24 per cabin $4010.48 - $2000 in deposits - $1181.43 that we took off in people and I get $829.05 if you go by that and not her note.

They originally told me I owed $929.05 when I called to make final payment today.

What would you all do? Do you think I can hold them to what the TA wrote on the confirmation sheets?

• Administrators

Cruise lines do a final group accounting after the cruise has sailed, which is based on how many folks actually get on the ship (not how many booked). It is pretty standard to receive your rebate a few weeks after you've returned from your cruise (anywhere from two - 6 weeks).

Cruise agencies that "allow the discount" beforehand are usually fronting you the anticipated rebate, which is solely at their discretion (and very nice of them to do).

Laura

Cruise lines do a final group accounting after the cruise has sailed, which is based on how many folks actually get on the ship (not how many booked). It is pretty standard to receive your rebate a few weeks after you've returned from your cruise (anywhere from two - 6 weeks).

Cruise agencies that "allow the discount" beforehand are usually fronting you the anticipated rebate, which is solely at their discretion (and very nice of them to do).

Laura

I found out from a co-worker that this is correct. I always give it upfront and then hope that no one cancels prior to sailing thereby lowering the TC's :D

I can't pay the cruise line since we booked with a TA. The dispute on the credit card is a good idea. I am just worried about not getting the $372 back. That is a lot of money.

Your payment should be to the cruise line. The TA processes the payment, but it should never be to them if you use a credit card!

Ok now she is saying there was a clerical error and that what they told us our balance was is not true and that each cabin is really more money. That means I would owe $370 more. I can't cancel and rebook b/c the cabins have gone up. I called RCCL and they said with a TA there is nothing they can do. I have it all in writing. Is there no one to help? How can I be quoted and invoiced and go to pay and then be charged so much more? The total for our family is $1000 more.

Guest nhrich

I wish that I had better news, but without pursuing legal action, probably not. Have you talked to a supervisor or owner at the agency to see if they can do anything?

Also, is everyone in your group going through the same thing, or is it just your cabins? Have you compared prices with what the others are paying? Just trying to see if it really is a clerical error (could be, if it's just you), or a bait and switch (probably, if it's everyone).

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Yes we have it in writing.

The story goes like this...

We have 5 cabins for my family. The TA told us that would be a group. We booked with the group rate she quoted us. She then called us and told us we didn't have enough cabins- we were going to cancel b/c my sister's TA who booked her wedding cruise (she got married on an Alaskan cruise) was going to book a large group on that cruise along with us to get us the discount. This TA said she would honor what she told us originally and put it in writing. Mailed us all invoices with our RCCL confirmations on 2/20/07 with the brochure of the Mariner indicating the rate she quoted us, our deposit, the balance due and the balance due date - all hand written by the TA - each person in my family got the same thing (mine were different prices since we had two insides versus my other family members were balconies) All the balconies (3 different families, 3 different households, three differnet states, three different last names all got the same price written on theirs).

I called to make final payment on mine and then they told me that mine was $370 more than I had written on my sheets. They have now said the same to my mother, brother, and sister (well $185) when they went to pay - that much higher than THEY wrote on the invoice to pay. We all called to pay more than a week before they wrote on the invoice (June 18th) and final payment is not due to RCCL until July 1st.

They are saying if we don't pay this new amount they are saying we owe they will cancel our cruise. We all still have the oringinal invoices...as a matter of fact - they faxed mine to me and it has their fax # on it. They TA I just spoke with their even said they sent it to me.

Guest nhrich

It sounds to me like the TA had factored in a free berth into the inital price, figuring that she'd be able to sell three more cabins and get the berth. Then she wasn't able to sell the three extra cabins, so now they're backtracking and not honoring the initial price.

Perhaps a call to your state's consumer affairs department (probably in the Attorney General's office) is in order. I would expect that this would be considered by them to be a bait and switch. The TA, as I understand it, gave no notice to you prior to your calling in what you thought (and had in writing) to be the final payment amount. Had they done so, they might have had a legal standing, but it doesn't seem like they do right now (disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV). I would also contact Royal Caribbean and let them know what this agent is pulling.

Good luck!

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

So now is she saying you are not getting a discount or that you will get it after travel? If she is saying after travel, that is a normal practice...however, I would definatly get this in writing also from her in case you do have any problems. Have you asked for her supervisor? Since you have it in writing I would definatly go higher.

We have done 9 group cruises with both Celebrity and RCI and I am always the tour conductor and they take the free berth/berths off my final payment. Don't understnad why they are not doing it for some people. We have a group on Seranade 15 night Hawaii, and they will be deducting the tour conductor credit at my final payment date 7/27/07.

Archived