Babysitting service... for Seniors

Grtcdnwolf

Does Carnival offer Senior babysitting services for grumpy seniors who don't know or want to have fun? I took my mother on a cruise last October and she spent most of the time in the room (an inside one at that). She is also physically disabled (walks with a cane) so most physical activities are out. And when she did come out in the sun this is what she wore!!!:eek:

Worse part is that she doesn't drink so getting her drunk isn't an option...

I have 6 months to get her ready for the Christmas cruise I planned especially for her and need as much help as possible.

grumpy.jpg.3eea9d4c2d88a0c8ccbd1ce8ce7ab52d.jpg

I believe Carnival (and every other line for that matter) has group get togethers/activities for seniors. Of course, its difficult to participate and have a good time when someone won't leave the room.

Stayed iin an INSIDE room for a week????? Geez. I have a big walk in closet at my house. I'll only charge you half of what Carnival does. She won't know the difference. :)

A lady on the ask a cruise question board was bringing her mom along and it sounded like she needed a similar service.

I think someday we may see "Camp Carnival" for seniors. Drop of your loved one who doesn't want to go on a shore excursion, hates to sit outside, becomes lost or disoriented...etc etc

I know my DH will be looking to sign me up for such a program someday...we will still want to cruise but I will wander off if he doesn't keep his eye on me :o:(:rolleyes:

does she have any close friends that could possibly join you. my mother also has a health condition and traveling is a nightmare. I've found that If include a companion (my father does not travel) for her - she is apt. to do more than if it is just me- with me - she doesn't really feel bad if i don't have a good time - but a friend - thats a different story - she doesnt want to ruin thier good time.

You sound like someone I really need to meet. Maybe we could get your mom and my dad together. My dad lives with us and supposedly loves to cruise, although you can't tell it by his attitude. He won't tell you what he wants to do and then he gets in a bad mood and you don't know if it's because he doesn't like what you picked or if its just because he's moody. We just got back from a 2 week vacation in Hawaii, he was grumpy the whole time, but now he tells everyone how much he loved it!!

The only upside to traveling with him.... he pays for everything:)

You sound like someone I really need to meet. Maybe we could get your mom and my dad together. My dad lives with us and supposedly loves to cruise, although you can't tell it by his attitude. He won't tell you what he wants to do and then he gets in a bad mood and you don't know if it's because he doesn't like what you picked or if its just because he's moody. We just got back from a 2 week vacation in Hawaii, he was grumpy the whole time, but now he tells everyone how much he loved it!!

ROFLMAO.... yup thats the only reason she comes... but I did get out of her shell about 3 days into the cruise (barricading the door so she couldn't get back in help) and she did have some fun finally... its the start thats the worse...

I have 6 months to get her ready for the Christmas cruise I planned especially for her and need as much help as possible.

Does she want to go on this cruise or do you want her to go? Sounds like it would be a waste of time and money if she's not going to really enjoy herself. Perhaps a land vacation would suit both of you better.

As cold and selfish as I find this statement (along with your other post on this thread), I have to thank you. Somehow I've allowed your comment(s) to lift me up and out of 'the poor me's' I've felt all day as the sole caregiver of an aging parent.

I hope your mother has the most enjoyable Christmas of her life wherever she may be. And, that you enjoy a delightful cruise, Grtcdnwolf!

OMG, your Dad sounds just like my husband even the Hawaii thing which we just did last month. I guess they can't be the same person as I'm pretty sure I'm not your mom.

My DARLING mom was with us on our last cruise and you would have thought we took her on the Bataan death march. The idea of walking from the dining room to the theatre produced more groans than the birth of quads. Excursions, oh please, every citizen on the islands of Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, and Tortola know my family. Between my Dh yelling for all of us to hurry up, my Dsis yelling for everyone to slow down, my Dmom yelling "I can't breathe", my seven year old nephew chasing the chickens, and my DD and Fsil desperately trying to escape the madness, a fun time was had by all.

We were the only people the cabbies and vendors didn't try and solicit, in fact they all looked away as we approached. I think they drew straws and the loser had to take us.

Of course she got seasick, and we all took turns coming into the cabin to gaze down at her while she moaned and sighed. The seasickness did subside at dinnertime, and lunchtime, and breakfast time, and snack time and late nite pizza time, thank goodness. The water was too cold and the sun was too hot. The shade was too cool and the hot tub was never just right. She did go to arts and crafts after she saw me looking wistfully from her to the ships rail and back to her again one too many times.

THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEST CRUISES OF MY LIFE.:D

I might not do it again soon cos I am out of Valium but I would do it again!

Does Carnival offer Senior babysitting services for grumpy seniors who don't know or want to have fun? I took my mother on a cruise last October and she spent most of the time in the room (an inside one at that). She is also physically disabled (walks with a cane) so most physical activities are out. And when she did come out in the sun this is what she wore!!!:eek:

I was talking to my mom about taking her on a cruise sometime again.

She says that she doesn't want to go again because it wasn't much fun.

I was hoping she would be able to play bingo.

She used to enjoy playing bingo at the church until they passed a law against.

Then when we got on board, I was shocked at how expensive the bingo was.

I had hoped she would be able to play for several hours and had expected little prizes like tote bags or hats. HA!!

When we went ashore, she stayed in an inside cabin all day.

I really wish that she could get one of those motorcarts as it is almost impossible to take her anywhere as she can only walk a few steps without needing to sit down. For insurance to cover one she has to be unable to walk in her house.

Well, her house is not that big!

I worry because it seems like I can't take her anywhere.

When she drives herself to church, she has to go back home when hte handicapped spaces are all filled.

Where can you go that you don't have to walk?

I sure don't know!

At least she isn't wearing a sweater in the summer like my MIL.

So is it that she doesn't like cruising and that's why she is grumpy? I'd probably let her stay home if that's the case. I couldn't bring my MIL because she'd get lost on the ship!

At least she isn't wearing a sweater in the summer like my MIL.

So is it that she doesn't like cruising and that's why she is grumpy? I'd probably let her stay home if that's the case. I couldn't bring my MIL because she'd get lost on the ship!

They take her because she pays.

Could it be that your mother is happy in her misery? If you met my mother, she would tell you what a great time she had on a cruise with us last summer. During the cruise all I heard was what was wrong with the cruise.

I've always been somewhat intimidated by her complaining. My 15 year old daughter on the other hand, told her she was like a dark cloud on a sunny day. That has actually helped curb some of my mother's complaining.

Isn't that a tad harsh. I believe I saw ;) and laughing when that was said. Perhaps it was a joke. And even if it wasn't I don't think strangers are familiar enough with this particular family dynamic to comment on why they want to cruise with their Mom or Dad.

I think this is meant as a fun thread to share experiences and ideas on how we, who choose to spend quality time with our older and less srpy parents, can entertain them againt their wills:D .

Wow! :eek:

Your mother looks like such a sweet lady in the picture. Cut her a break...she is your mom.

Isn't that a tad harsh. I believe I saw ;) and laughing when that was said. Perhaps it was a joke. And even if it wasn't I don't think strangers are familiar enough with this particular family dynamic to comment on why they want to cruise with their Mom or Dad.

I think this is meant as a fun thread to share experiences and ideas on how we, who choose to spend quality time with our older and less srpy parents, can entertain them againt their wills:D .

I hope you are right!

ROFLMAO.... yup thats the only reason she comes... but I did get out of her shell about 3 days into the cruise (barricading the door so she couldn't get back in help) and she did have some fun finally... its the start thats the worse...

Maybe it is in jest, but I still feel sorry for mom.

Ya know, sometimes as a caregiver, one does things that just "might" cause a positive reaction, while giving oneself a bit of a well deserved break. Not everyone can do the job of being a caretaker, and no one can make a judgement without being personally involved. We always hope that this new event will be the one that breaks that depressed/unhappy barrier. Nursing homes and retirement homes are expensive, family care is not always easy, and perhaps being with family, even when the cared for one is snarly, is the greatest joy that that snarly person can experience. Lighten up.

To the OP, do what ya gotta do. I see the humor in your experience. ;)

Archived