Best of Caymans for 1st Timer

SAILSKAT

OK - we are a family of four - 2 adults "around 40", one 20 year old girl and one 10 year old girl who loves the water and we love adventure. By the time we get to Grand Cayman we will have already done a day snorkeling (which we LOVE) and a dolphin adveture (in the wild, not captive) so snorkeling isn't a must, but if it's spectacular we don't want to miss it. We want to see the best of the Grand Caymen because we are considering a week long stay there in the future. Should we do the Sting Ray City and then hit 7 Mile beach (maybe do a day pass at the Hyatt if available - which is where we may stay on future visit)? If the Hyatt is no longer doing day passes, what locations are near the Hyatt (so we can at least see what's there) so far from this board I've heard about Royal Palms, Sea Grape and Calico Jacks for a "home base" on 7 Mile beach. Should we save Sting Ray City for our future week long visit, or is this something you could do again and again? (Youngest daughter is a little hesitant because of Steve Erwin tragedy - we think we can reassure her, because so many have done this safely and it's a different area of the world - but we assume if you back out at the last minute you can stay on the boat and watch others). We are only in port 7:00 am to 4:00 pm from the Carnival Liberty - so I want to do one "adventure" and then just soak in the scene, we'd like to have a quick lunch and just see what's to be seen, cost isn't an issue. Please, vetren cruisers who have been to Grand Caymen, make your recomendations! Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise.:)

I'd also do Stingray Sandbar. I'm not sure it would be worth the money to pay for a day pass at the Hyatt, if you're going to do the stingrays.

We used Captain Marvin's and afterwards, they dropped us where we wanted. You could have them drop you at Sea Grape or Royal Palms.

I'm interested in this as well. However there are 100 of different companies to go with. I will loook around I would like to interact with the rays however which company allows for the longest interaction? or is the average 3 hours?

I'm interested in this as well. However there are 100 of different companies to go with. I will loook around I would like to interact with the rays however which company allows for the longest interaction? or is the average 3 hours?

I'd pick someone from the ones listed here. It's easy to do a search and see what everyone has to say.

We use Captain Marvin's...but there's Soto's & Nativeway that are also metioned a lot. Captain Marvin's schedule worked for us the best (the first time we were there), and we had such a good time, we've used them the other times. The first time we were there, we did the shorter snorkel (I think it was 2 or 2 1/2 hours) because we'd not been to the island and wanted to do other things with our short time there.

We did love Grand Cayman so much that we now go there for land vacations. It's really a wonderful place.

Another thing...A lot of these people are from the same family. I think it's Ebanks or Eubanks.

TWINKELTOES... thanks for the advice. I didn't realize that it lasted so long with the rays. I think it will be awesome! As far as checking 7MB out where should I park myslef. We just want to have a chair, a little atmosphere, maybe take a dip in the ocean and have a bit to eat. Are there beach front restaurants with chairs etc. or is it mostly hotels. Will my tour guide take me to 7MB when we are done? Is it easy to get a taxi or shuttle back to the ship? Sorry for so many more questions, but I just want to know what to expect.

Sailskat...

When we were there the first time (on a ship), we were in port from 7:30-4:30 (and we were there on New Year's Day, so ship time and island time were the same-we sailed out of Miami). The last tender was at 3:45, and you may or may not be off the ship by 8:00. Getting off early depends on a lot of things...how long it takes to clear the ship...if the ship is delayed because the water is rough...if the employees insist that those who booked an excursion through the ship get off first...and I am sure there are other things.

So if all went well, we figured we had 7 hours at the most.

I had planned on doing an island tour. Then to the Stingray's. Then to the beach. Then lunch. Then some shopping in town. I planned too much.

Here's what he had time to do...

I booked an island excursion through the ship so we'd be the first off. It really didn't matter because they were letting anyone who came to the tender area off the ship. We were on the Triumph and that's what they did that time, but who knows what's going on these days.

So we did the island tour which was from 8:00 (maybe 8:30-I don't remember the exact time) and we were back in the port at 10:30.

We then walked down to Captain Marvin's. We needed to check in there by 10:45 for the 11:15 - 1:30 stingray tour.

After the tour, we had CM's drop us at Jack Rackam's so we could have lunch. At this point, we barely had time to eat and hoof it back to the port area.

Captain Marvin's does have some souviners, and there's a little shop next door that had shirts, etc.

http://www.captainmarvins.com

One thing about CM's is to get to their dock they turn next to the Courtyard Marriott, which is right across the street from Sea Grape. So after snorkeling, I am sure they would drop you there. We've not been there, but we've driven past SG many times, and always there were cabs lined up waiting to take people back to the port. If you do choose to end up at Sea Grape, make sure and leave an extra 15 minutes or so to get back to the port. Sea Grape just past the new Ritz, and everytime we've been there, the traffic seems to stall out in that vicinity.

If you want them to drop you at Royal Palms, I am sure they would. It's a lot closer to the port area, and offers the same type of services SG has. I have no clue which beach might have more shade, or better sand into the water (I know it's been talked about here, but I just don't remember the details). But since Royal Palms is closer, it's quicker to get back to the port. So this might be the place for you if you are pinched for time.

We absolutely love GC. We always stay at the Regal Beach Club, which isnext to the Marriott (that's on the beach). Our kids rented from Red Sail there, and we all used the bar that's right on the beach.

We enjoy eating at Rackhams because it's right on the water. We also enjoy Breezes. We love to sit on the balcony and watch the cruise ship passengers, and the ships sail away. However, if there are a lot of ships in port, this place gets really busy.

Here's a website that lists many of the restaurants in town. Everything is casual. Even when we went to dinner in the evening, at the more fancy restaurants, I wore a sundress and hubby wore Dockers. Not all places are listed here...but many are.

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_menu.asp?restaurantID=12&menu_headingID=85

We just want to have a chair, a little atmosphere, maybe take a dip in the ocean and have a bit to eat. Are there beach front restaurants with chairs etc. or is it mostly hotels. Will my tour guide take me to 7MB when we are done? Is it easy to get a taxi or shuttle back to the ship? Sorry for so many more questions, but I just want to know what to expect.

Also, they will add the tip in your bill. Make sure and look for this. I think it was 15%. We double tipped the first time because we did not know this...even though it was on the bill.

We also used a credit card almost all the time in GC. I had no funky fees or anything like that.

When you buy something or order food, just ask the person to give you the total in USD (if you want it). They will either write it down, or many times, their computers can calculate both for you (on the ticket).

Rackhams is on the water, but there is no beach area.

Breezes is in town, but no beach area.

The Paradise Grill is in town, but we've not eaten there. I think they have some chairs, but I don't think they have a beach, but do have access to the water...for snorkeling. I think they just have stairs.

So if you want food...chairs..restrooms...water toy rental...Sea Grape or Royal Palms would probably be a good bet for you. You only pay for you want.

Some of the hotels offer day passes, but I am not sure which ones. The ones that do, probably offer only so many because they want to make sure they don't overload the place with cruisers and run out their customers who staying at the hotel.

The condo we stay at has a guard. The guard won't let anyone who isn't staying in the condos use the chairs.

But the beach is public. You can plop your towel down wherever you want. And you can walk into any hotel and eat at the restaurants.

Stay away from Beach Club Colony. I have heard nothing good about them.

Whoever you end up choosing for your stingray tour...ask them if they will drop you at one of these places. Taxis will be easy to find. They are the bigger white van types (at least that's all we saw).

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy yourselves. Grand Cayman is a very safe island, which is why we love to visit. We always rent a car, and we always drive all over the island. You can't do that in many Caribbean islands! But use the usual precautions you'd use wherever you are. :)

Do you know how many ships will be in port the day you will be there?

THANKS for such a detailed response. We are looking forward to checking out CG. It's good to know that they do the tipping like in Europe, I almost double tipped in London on my first visit. I've looked at the web site for Royal and it looks like they have a regular resturant and a beach side grill type. It kinda reminded me of Maui - all the restuarnts had table service and then beach front bars. You could basically get the same quality of food (different menu) but more relaxed atmosphere. Thanks again for the details!!!!

You have to visit Sting Ray City!! To be honest, I had no interest in this trip before our first cruise. Was talked into it by my father in law and after reading all the MUST SEE tips here on Cruise Critic. I was so wrong on my uninformed thoughts! The combination snorkel trip/Sting Ray City visit has been the very best day of all my 3 cruises. Hands down the best thing I've ever done on a cruise!!! Period, end of sentence.

I highly recommend Capt. Marvins group doing 2 snorkel stops and Sting Ray City. The second time back in Grand Cayman, I insisted to our group that we go back to Sting Ray City. I wanted the other folks to visit it for their first time. Extremely rewarding experience. I kid you not. Until you do it, you won't know what you would have missed.

THANKS for such a detailed response. We are looking forward to checking out CG. It's good to know that they do the tipping like in Europe, I almost double tipped in London on my first visit. I've looked at the web site for Royal and it looks like they have a regular resturant and a beach side grill type. It kinda reminded me of Maui - all the restuarnts had table service and then beach front bars. You could basically get the same quality of food (different menu) but more relaxed atmosphere. Thanks again for the details!!!!

Have a great time! We love Grand Cayman. It's not the prettiest island we've been on...but it's clean and safe. You can wander around anywhere on your own, and be safe.

We've not been to Maui, but we'd love to visit someday. The restaurant sounds like what you experienced in Maui. I just hope there aren't a lot of ships in port the day you are there. It tends to be a real zoo at these places when they have a lot of ships.

We had visited Grand Cayman on a cruise stop and loved it so much that we spent a full week there in September 07. We always use Capt. Bryan's for the tour and the resort we stayed at also chartered through his outfit. Loved it both times.

You may have enough time to take in Cemetary Beach if you like to snorkel. Very easily located and you might could talk Capt. Bryan's into dropping you there after the Stingray City tour. Very relaxing and the sea life is just magnificent. You don't have to swim too far out from shore to see everything. Just have your gear with you and check the bus schedule unless you can grab a cab back to port. It is not within walking distance to where the ships dock in Georgetown.

If you've never done stingray city this is a must, some people in my group were a little scared, but when they got there and saw it they flipped, we went through Carson's stingray, katrina was very accomodating. we had a boat to ourselves,after stingray city we went to Rum Point beach(breathtaking) but they accomodate to what you desire, if you want a city tour, turtle farm, or seven mile beach , its all up to you

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to crusie critic and I love it!! You guys give great advice and tips, ok question

Do you have to be a excellent swimmer for Stingray city?? I would love to do something with my husband that we can not do here in the south and this would be great experience but I am not a great swimmer.

thanks in advance for the help!!

Have a great day everyone!!

Sandy,

If you go with a tour company that takes you to the sand bar to experience the rays, you do not have to be a great swimmer. The water was chest high, clear and calm. The kids had no difficulty whatsoever. Stingray City is a wonderful experience!!! So much fun!

Also, they will add the tip in your bill. Make sure and look for this. I think it was 15%. We double tipped the first time because we did not know this...even though it was on the bill.

We also used a credit card almost all the time in GC. I had no funky fees or anything like that.

When you buy something or order food, just ask the person to give you the total in USD (if you want it). They will either write it down, or many times, their computers can calculate both for you (on the ticket).

Rackhams is on the water, but there is no beach area.

Breezes is in town, but no beach area.

The Paradise Grill is in town, but we've not eaten there. I think they have some chairs, but I don't think they have a beach, but do have access to the water...for snorkeling. I think they just have stairs.

So if you want food...chairs..restrooms...water toy rental...Sea Grape or Royal Palms would probably be a good bet for you. You only pay for you want.

Some of the hotels offer day passes, but I am not sure which ones. The ones that do, probably offer only so many because they want to make sure they don't overload the place with cruisers and run out their customers who staying at the hotel.

The condo we stay at has a guard. The guard won't let anyone who isn't staying in the condos use the chairs.

But the beach is public. You can plop your towel down wherever you want. And you can walk into any hotel and eat at the restaurants.

Stay away from Beach Club Colony. I have heard nothing good about them.

Whoever you end up choosing for your stingray tour...ask them if they will drop you at one of these places. Taxis will be easy to find. They are the bigger white van types (at least that's all we saw).

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy yourselves. Grand Cayman is a very safe island, which is why we love to visit. We always rent a car, and we always drive all over the island. You can't do that in many Caribbean islands! But use the usual precautions you'd use wherever you are. :)

Do you know how many ships will be in port the day you will be there?

According to CruiseCal.com there are 2 other ships besides the Liberty.

The Inspiration and Liberty of the Seas.

Hey SAILSKAT, 47 days and counting.

According to CruiseCal.com there are 2 other ships besides the Liberty.

The Inspiration and Liberty of the Seas.

Hey SAILSKAT, 47 days and counting.

You are sooo lucky! With only two ships, it's going to be so easy to get around...and things won't be packed. Enjoy! :)

OK - we are a family of four - 2 adults "around 40", one 20 year old girl and one 10 year old girl who loves the water and we love adventure. By the time we get to Grand Cayman we will have already done a day snorkeling (which we LOVE) and a dolphin adveture (in the wild, not captive) so snorkeling isn't a must, but if it's spectacular we don't want to miss it. We want to see the best of the Grand Caymen because we are considering a week long stay there in the future. Should we do the Sting Ray City and then hit 7 Mile beach (maybe do a day pass at the Hyatt if available - which is where we may stay on future visit)? If the Hyatt is no longer doing day passes, what locations are near the Hyatt (so we can at least see what's there) so far from this board I've heard about Royal Palms, Sea Grape and Calico Jacks for a "home base" on 7 Mile beach. Should we save Sting Ray City for our future week long visit, or is this something you could do again and again? (Youngest daughter is a little hesitant because of Steve Erwin tragedy - we think we can reassure her, because so many have done this safely and it's a different area of the world - but we assume if you back out at the last minute you can stay on the boat and watch others). We are only in port 7:00 am to 4:00 pm from the Carnival Liberty - so I want to do one "adventure" and then just soak in the scene, we'd like to have a quick lunch and just see what's to be seen, cost isn't an issue. Please, vetren cruisers who have been to Grand Caymen, make your recomendations! Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise.:)

We cruise to Grand Cayman often, and also take a land vacation there at least once a year, so my suggestion is that if you are absolutely sure that you will be spending a week on GC, that you wait until then to do Stingray City. Then you would have a better choice of the day to do it on and avoid the cruise ship traffic there.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking back in now that it's only 27 days to go! Thanks again to all who contributed to the thread. We've decided to do the stingray city and then go to the Reef Grill at Royal Palms. Thanks again.

Archived