Don't Give Up if you're Having Problems Finding Low Airfare

evolutiondob

I've learned that it pays to be diligent - check airfares every day, several times a day. I know it sounds obsessive, but I've really been surprised at how often airlines change its fares and sometimes you can catch surprisingly low airfares at odd times that only last for a few hours. For example, I've been trying to find fares going to New Mexico since I wanted to catch the Albuquerque hot air balloon festival in October. Fares to that area had been running almost $400 pp from the Washington, DC area. One day, this past Tuesday I believe it was, I checked and Delta had a sale that literally only lasted about 5 hours and the fare was $99 round trip!! I saw the fare around 12:00 noon and it was gone by 6:00 p.m. Had I not been checking on a daily basis, on average about two times per day, I would have missed it. I'm not even sure this sale was even advertised.

I've also noticed that fares tend to go down late Friday evening through the weekend when most people are out enjoying their day and not online checking fares. I've also seen fares begin at one rate in the morning and then go down around noon the same day. I typically use Kayak so that I can get a snapshot of all the airlines at once and then go directly to the airline site to book the flight.

I had been keeping my eye out on a one-way from Miami to the Washington, DC area after my cruise in November. I had been tracking the fare for weeks and was disheartened to see that they continued to creep up. When I looked on Friday afternoon before leaving work, the least expensive was $180 one way. Then on Friday evening, I checked again and lo and behold the fare had gone down to $95 one way!! The fare stayed that way all weekend. Needless to say, I went ahead and booked.

So, don't give up on your search for lower fares - they are out there!! It may take some obsessiveness in looking for them, but it does pay off in the end.

Although it is agood idea to keep checking prices, if you are doing this checking by internet know that as a result of the "cookie" that was installed on your computer by these sites, they will know it is you that is checking.They will always give extra, additional or, different prices each time you visit. That is the purpose of tracking cookies and they seem to have found you as a willing participant. The joys of internet and e-commerce has let us down this path.

If you wish to avoid this then set your preferences (or options or whatever your browser calls them) to delete all cookies and history when the browser is shut down.

Although it is agood idea to keep checking prices, if you are doing this checking by internet know that as a result of the "cookie" that was installed on your computer by these sites, they will know it is you that is checking.They will always give extra, additional or, different prices each time you visit. That is the purpose of tracking cookies and they seem to have found you as a willing participant. The joys of internet and e-commerce has let us down this path.

If you wish to avoid this then set your preferences (or options or whatever your browser calls them) to delete all cookies and history when the browser is shut down.

I definitely have it set that my cookies and history deletes automatically. Plus, I often do most of my checking at work where the company has set up a firewall so that cookies cannot be placed on our network.

I definitely have it set that my cookies and history deletes automatically. Plus, I often do most of my checking at work where the company has set up a firewall so that cookies cannot be placed on our network.

Thanks for the tip! I went into my browser - IE and temporary internet files and deleted history and cookies....not sure if it will happen automatically or do "new" cookies get created????? Is there a way to check?:confused:

I've learned that it pays to be diligent - check airfares every day, several times a day. I know it sounds obsessive, but I've really been surprised at how often airlines change its fares and sometimes you can catch surprisingly low airfares at odd times that only last for a few hours. For example, I've been trying to find fares going to New Mexico since I wanted to catch the Albuquerque hot air balloon festival in October. Fares to that area had been running almost $400 pp from the Washington, DC area. One day, this past Tuesday I believe it was, I checked and Delta had a sale that literally only lasted about 5 hours and the fare was $99 round trip!! I saw the fare around 12:00 noon and it was gone by 6:00 p.m. Had I not been checking on a daily basis, on average about two times per day, I would have missed it. I'm not even sure this sale was even advertised.

I've also noticed that fares tend to go down late Friday evening through the weekend when most people are out enjoying their day and not online checking fares. I've also seen fares begin at one rate in the morning and then go down around noon the same day. I typically use Kayak so that I can get a snapshot of all the airlines at once and then go directly to the airline site to book the flight.

I had been keeping my eye out on a one-way from Miami to the Washington, DC area after my cruise in November. I had been tracking the fare for weeks and was disheartened to see that they continued to creep up. When I looked on Friday afternoon before leaving work, the least expensive was $180 one way. Then on Friday evening, I checked again and lo and behold the fare had gone down to $95 one way!! The fare stayed that way all weekend. Needless to say, I went ahead and booked.

So, don't give up on your search for lower fares - they are out there!! It may take some obsessiveness in looking for them, but it does pay off in the end.

You must have been reading my mind.... I have been gettin so frustrated with SW fares for a flight to FLL this August, we had one person to join our group after I'd already purchased airfare for 158.80 pp from BWI to FLL...now rates are starting at 134 each way. I am hoping and praying that these prices go down real, real soon so that I can purchase his ticket. other wise he will be paying double price.

I'm glad I read this. I've been getting nervous about finding airfare for November 17-24. There are 7 of us going on a cruise and I want to fly to

Fort Lauderdale the day before. We are leaving from Chicago. The fares are sooo high. I'm trying to be patient and wait until June 28 for Southwest fares, but I still keep looking every day without seeing anything reasonable.

I know this is Thanksgiving week, but I didn't expect fares to be this high and I thought Sat to Sat would help. So far it hasn't.

I can vouch for your tip too!

I was kind of obsessive about watching for good fares. We're selling our home and we weren't sure if we were going to be in the area so I didn't want to book, but I found a good fare and grabbed it, so we better not sell before our cruise :D.

69.00 each way from Newark to MIA for September. It's the best I've ever seen. It's probably because of the time of year I suspect.

I know this is Thanksgiving week, but I didn't expect fares to be this high and I thought Sat to Sat would help. So far it hasn't.

Saturday to Saturday "may" get you better availability for lower fares on business-heavy routes, such as NY-Chicago, NY-LA, NY-Atlanta, but to a tourist destination, those are strong travel days (along with Sunday). Think of all the cruises that depart on Saturday from the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area and you have many of those people doing day of cruise flights.

But I do like the way you're putting "day of the week" into your thought process!!

One big tip to remember....if you are trying to book 7 seats, it is often better to break that down into much smaller reservation/ticketing groups. The reason -- let's say that the cheapest "fare bucket" only has 4 seats left at that price point. If you ask for a block of 7 seats, it won't find them at that level, and will move you up to the "bucket" that has at least 7 seats available. Instead of getting 4 seats at the cheapest level, you're being offered 7 seats at a higher fare. Even worse if there are 6 seats available - you have to pay the higher fare for all of them, not just that "extra" ticket.

How to get around that....ask for smaller quantities! Start with 1 seat and work your way up, maybe skipping 1 each time. If the 1 seat price is still too high for you, there's no need to check for 3 or 5 -- there isn't a quantity discount (unless you get a group rate, usually 10+ pax).

Another idea -- can the group go on two separate airplane/routings? If you have mostly adults (or enough adults to make the split), you can go with two different airlines arriving at similar times (say DL through ATL, US through CLT, and/or AA/UA non-stop). Or the same airline at separate times. The early folk can head to the hotel first and have the ice buckets filled. You'll be spending plenty of time together onboard ship.

Hope those are some thoughts for you to ponder and maybe utilize.

We're selling our home and we weren't sure if we were going to be in the area so I didn't want to book, but I found a good fare and grabbed it, so we better not sell before our cruise :D.

69.00 each way from Newark to MIA for September. It's the best I've ever seen. It's probably because of the time of year I suspect.

Tell your real-estate agent to raise the price $276 if they sell it in the September time frame!!

Thanks very much for your input. I have tried putting in just 1 person. I never thought of splitting up the group. I have 3 other people that can also be added to make 10. I've called several carriers about "group travel" but didn't find it to be helpful at all. The only difference was that you didn't have to pay right away. But UAL had some strange rules about putting a deposit of $500 and not getting it back until after you traveled. Anyway, I'll keep looking every day..but I'm banking on Southwest when it becomes available. I plan to go on the website early in the morning. I called Southwest and asked if the fares would be available after midnight. They said the fares wouldn't be loaded until the morning. I'm still going to go on site. Thanks again for your helpful advise

I waited on Southwest to come out with fares for our October cruise and wish I had not. I missed some good prices waiting on SW. When SW did come out their prices were higher than the "regular" airlines. Im still waiting on a good "ding" or for somebody to have a good sale.

Good Luck!.....but I wouldnt hang my hat on Southwest

I waited on Southwest to come out with fares for our October cruise and wish I had not. I missed some good prices waiting on SW. When SW did come out their prices were higher than the "regular" airlines. Im still waiting on a good "ding" or for somebody to have a good sale.

Good Luck!.....but I wouldnt hang my hat on Southwest

I have noticed SW fares have gone quite high also..especially if you are travelling around a popular time...cruise departures , holidays , etc...

Nope, no problems. No extra spam or anything like that. It works well on my laptop. I told it which specific flights I want to track and it does it for me. I keep checking to make sure it finds the lowest fares just for my piece of mind. Most of the flights it's tracking are several months off so it will be a while until I see just how well it works. Anyone else using this site?

Nope, no problems. No extra spam or anything like that. It works well on my laptop. I told it which specific flights I want to track and it does it for me. I keep checking to make sure it finds the lowest fares just for my piece of mind. Most of the flights it's tracking are several months off so it will be a while until I see just how well it works. Anyone else using this site?

Thanks much. I think I may give it a whirl tomorrow.:)

I went to kayak.com and that is how I found my low airfare to Miami for $59 each way from New York. I checked everyday several times a day and bingo the price dropped and I grabbed it!!!

$59 to MIA for April 2008? Which airline, which NY airport? Nothing for me on kayak comes close and I check often. Lucky you:)

How about airfare from PHX to MIA for a Christmas cruise?? I can't believe the prices they are asking this early...yes, I know it's holiday travel but my goodness. We are a group of 6 and most fares are in the $600 price range rt!! Should I buy now or hope for better prices a bit later???? I've been watching all the online sites for about a week now - not have any luck....any advice??

How about airfare from PHX to MIA for a Christmas cruise?? I can't believe the prices they are asking this early...yes, I know it's holiday travel but my goodness. We are a group of 6 and most fares are in the $600 price range rt!! Should I buy now or hope for better prices a bit later???? I've been watching all the online sites for about a week now - not have any luck....any advice??

My only advice would be to continue looking daily. You still have quite a bit of time between now and the Christmas season and you'd be surprised to see how often fares fall.

Archived