Formal, Smart Casual, Casual: Help! What does it all mean?

We are going on are very first cruise on liberty of the seas on the 23. What is the right attire, and how ill everybody be dressing.

My 14 year old daughter has one white empire waist sortaish cocktail dress, is this ok for formal nights?

How about my 14 years son?

We are going on are very first cruise on liberty of the seas on the 23. What is the right attire, and how ill everybody be dressing.

My 14 year old daughter has one white empire waist sortaish cocktail dress, is this ok for formal nights?

How about my 14 years son?

Yes, for your daughter's dress. Your son would look magnificent in a tux - mine did at that age. You can buy them REALLY cheap at thrift shops, and you can get some great bargains on ebay as well, since he'll outgrow it pretty quickly. (and you could sell the current one on ebay, too, when he's ready for the next one!) (this does not mean that he MUST wear a tuxedo; I just think that a young man of this age would still enjoy the compliments and attention he will get for dressing formally!)

You can also rent a tux onboard. http://www.cruiselineformals.com

The complete description of these dress codes can be found on Royal Caribbean's website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000LIYlH3coYPv4aPpg0_Jsf2n:10kohi76p?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Rondonna~ The dress code is recommendations for that evenings dress.

Formal Nights Activities. Men...Tux or Dark Suit. Women cannot be overdressed on Formal Night. You will have photos taken, so like how you are dressed.

Smart Casual. Men.. sports jacket, shirt, tie not needed. Ladies dress as if you were going out to dinner.

Casual at night... Hawaiian Shirts or Polo shirt for men. Capris, slacks or skirt for women. No shorts in diningroom at night... that would be the night to go to the Windjammer. :-)

only thing i'd say is that i haven't seen many sports jackets on men on "smart casual" nights... in fact, i think the line has blurred between casual and smart casual.. Personally, i wear the tux for formal nights, and on smart casual nites i'll go with linen slacks/shirt (long sleeved shirts), while casual nites i may go with a Hawaiin motif.... or a short sleeved casual shirt and dockers

For formal night, dressy clothes. the dress for your daughter is fine. your son could wear anything from a tux all the way down to a nice dress shirt and slacks. honestly people wear tuxes but not that many so I wouldn't invest.

For casual, almost anything goes except they ask for no jeans and shorts. I usually wear slacks and a nice top. you could wear a casual dress or skirt too. My husband usually wears a polo shirt or a button down shirt and slacks. My three girls (7,11,14) go for capris or slacks with a nice shirt.

For smart casual, I would just save the dressiest casual outfit you have. Like I might wear a skirt and top. To be honest the line is really blurred. Actually you will see a great deal of variety of dress on the cruise. In my expereince don't stress too much. Just the fact that you are thinking of it you will be better than most. I know it is a no-no but I have seen shorts in the dining room. I personally think one should follow the dress code, but they will not deny you service. Do what you feel comfortable with.

I'm enjoying the respect so far for RCI's dress requests. Dressing down to the standard of what one can get away with is a sad trend. Way to go, OP, for asking. If you want to see other posts, this topic of what to wear shows up weekly and quickly digresses.

On the Grandeur and on the Empress there was little if any difference in Smart Casual vs. Casual. I did not see any sport jackets on men on smart Casual nights and the women wore basically the same thing we wore on casual nights-nice capris, pants or skirts with nice tops.

I for one wish RCL would do what Princess does and just have formal and casual nights. It is much less confusing especially for new cruisers. JMHO!

I've been on a lot of cruises and each time, the dress on the passengers is more and more casual. My advice for any night other than formal is no short, jeans or t shirts. Everything else is perfectly acceptable. For formal nights, adults, dark suit with dress shirt and tie for men, nice dress for women, gowns not necessary and for kids under 14, dress shirt with tie for boys and a dress for girls.

I find that the longer the cruise, the more "formal" formal night will be. 3 and 4 nighters don't have as many tuxes as a 7 night cruise. I wouldn't invest in a tux for a kid who's still growing. Just do dress pants, jacket and tie!

Casual is what you would wear to a casual restaurant--smart casual--just add heels and jewelry! (Most of the women try and look their best all the time, so you will see more "smart casual" than casual every night)

We just returned from Adventure of the Sea. We brought our 12 year old daughter. I spent a fortune on her two formal dresses. On the second formal night she went to the Windjammer with the teens. I agree that Smart Casual doesn't really mean Church wear to most people. My Husband and my Father felt like they were the only ones wearing a jacket on smart casual night. Capris work for casual night, any nice dress for teen works for formal and smart casual night. Good luck.

Archived