Would You Rent Vehicle In Sitka

pirates-chest

We are sailing to Alaska on the Noordam and will be in Sitka September 20,2007. We know what we want to do in Juneau and Ketchikan but keep changing our minds for Sitka. We are thinking we would like to rent a car or 4-wheel drive vehicle for the day and find a place to have a picinic lunch, see some gorgeous scenery and wildlife. Is this a port where this is possible? Have any of you done this? We are in port from 8:00 to 5:00. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for the info. I have an injured knee so can only walk about a mile and then I start to really struggle. So we thought that might be fun to rent a car to see more of the area, but not sure that is the answer . I have found a tour that sounds interesting so we may get in contact with them. Whale Park sounds fun has anyone been there?

I forget who it was and exactly which company it was, but more than one person has mentioned "Captain Dave" as a guy who runs a good boat tour. Hopefully one of the people who have posted about it and taken it will give more info.

Thanks for the info. I have an injured knee so can only walk about a mile and then I start to really struggle. So we thought that might be fun to rent a car to see more of the area, but not sure that is the answer . I have found a tour that sounds interesting so we may get in contact with them. Whale Park sounds fun has anyone been there?

You will need a car to drive to Whale Park, the Raptor Center and the estuary out by Halibut Point that has a wonderful boardwalk through the wetlands, although I assume there's a tourbus that may take you to all these sights. It comes down to whether you want to be on your own schedule. And if you've got a bum knee, even walking to the Sitka Historical National Park is far. You'd want to save your steps for walking the totems, not shlepping down the street.

I was unimpressed with Whale Park, however. Been there a couple of times, seen no whales. Maybe I just have bad luck. There's some really steep steps if you want to get down towards the water, and better views. I went all the way down to the water for the tidepools, and it was a real climb back.

The only car rental is at the airport, North Star. You'll need to phone. I assume they'd drop a car off at the dock? You won't need a 4wd; all the roads are paved, or good gravel.

While driving in sitka, you can basically go 7 miles in each direction, there is a lake up the hill, but takes a lot of walking when you get there, which is really nit much to see. It's a lake. Most of the activities take place in the down town area. There are a couple of cabs also that can get you around with out the expense of a rental. The car rental as stated is at the airport which is located over the bridge on a man made island. I don't know how you would get there.:)

There is a loop shuttle bus, hop on hop off, for $10/day.

On the shuttle bus you can also buy a $5 round trip ticket if you only want to go to one destination on the route, for example the Raptor Center. Either way, the shuttle is a bargain for someone who, for one reason or other, prefers not to do much walking

We just returned from Alaska on the Noordam and did the little city bus at $10 for all day in Sitka. You get a schedule so you can see where the bus is. It goes to about 8 to 10 different places and is scheduled so that it picks up at every location at 30 minute intervals. It was very easy for us to get on the bus at the tender drop off and then ride out to the museum. From the museum, we could just walk about a hundred yards to the little aquarium. We looked all we wanted there and then waited no more than 10 minutes and caught the bus again at the aquarium and rode out to the raptor center. Then we rode to the center of town and saw St. Michael's and did a little shopping. If we go back to Sitka again, we will do the same thing. It was well worth $10 and we saw everything we wanted to.

-Brenda

I forget who it was and exactly which company it was, but more than one person has mentioned "Captain Dave" as a guy who runs a good boat tour. Hopefully one of the people who have posted about it and taken it will give more info.

I think the one you are referring to is Capt. Davey, and his boat is the Esther G. Look for postings by SakeDad -- he was very happy with the excursion.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think the city bus will work great for us. That way we can see what we want and I don't have to walk the whole distance. Everyday we get more excited about this trip. Everyone at work keeps telling me that they are going to tape me to my chair and go in my place. I don't think so. :)

Archived