No Passports needed this summer for Alaska

NJ2FL

I see a number of posts (still) re not receiving passports.

The U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security announced June 8, 2007 that U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda who have applied for but not yet received passports can nevertheless temporarily enter and depart from the United States by air with a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application* for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html :rolleyes:

*MAKE SURE YOU BRING THE INTERNET CONFIRMATION OF YOUR APPLICATION FOR THE PASSPORT.

Gotta love our government!! "Hey, let's mandate something that we don't have the staff to keep up with." :eek:

Also find it humurous that they don't worry about people arriving in 2007 on ships, only planes. Guess terrorists get seasick :confused:

Behaving now.

Gotta love our government!! "Hey, let's mandate something that we don't have the staff to keep up with." :eek:

Also find it humurous that they don't worry about people arriving in 2007 on ships, only planes. Guess terrorists get seasick :confused:

Behaving now.

Aw... don't behave. Bureaucrats...our tax dollars at work NOT

Food for thought and waaay OT. If they can't process 3 million AMERICANS born in the USA who sent in their birth certificates to PROVE they were born in the USA in 10-12 weeks, how in the h*** are they going to process 8-20 million illegals who most likely have no birth certificates in 24 HOURS???? Who do they think they are kidding???

I understand we don't need passports by the new information when we fly into Vancouver, but will I need it to board princess? Their paperwork is still asking for my passport numbers. My travel agent has asked, but they don't have a response yet. We are also doing a Jeep adventure in Skagway. They say bring passport, but I am going to contact them, I think they will accept our birth certificates.

OK, here's the up to date info on Princess: I happen to be a TA so the following is strait from the reps at Princess:

To board the ship in Vancouver, all you need is a state issued birth certificate or certified copy of same and state issued picture ID. To fly into or out of Vancouver you will also need the proof of application refered to in this thread.

Hope this helps!

OK, here's the up to date info on Princess: I happen to be a TA so the following is strait from the reps at Princess:

To board the ship in Vancouver, all you need is a state issued birth certificate or certified copy of same and state issued picture ID. To fly into or out of Vancouver you will also need the proof of application refered to in this thread.

Hope this helps!

What about driving into Canada? We decided to drive to Vancouver and fly from there to Anchorage--then pick up our car at the end of our cruise and drive home...

I have my passport, but DD and DH don't. Will we be okay or do we need to their applications in ASAP?

Thanks!

Jayne

You don't need a passport to drive into or out of Canada. In fact the rep told me they before the gov't said they were making an accomodation, Princess has a lot of people who are flying into Seattle and taking tranfers up to Vancouver because they wouldn't have their passport in time.

You don't need a passport to drive into or out of Canada. In fact the rep told me they before the gov't said they were making an accomodation, Princess has a lot of people who are flying into Seattle and taking tranfers up to Vancouver because they wouldn't have their passport in time.

Thank you for your help! That's actually great news. We plan to get their passports soon, but I really don't want to have to order an additional copy of their birth certificates (DD's is no problem since she's only 12, but DH's has to be printed from microfiche and is more spendy). We're also renting a car in Skagway and crossing the border there.

Just one more question if you don't mind--since we'll be flying from Vancouver to Anchorage, there won't be a problem boarding in Canada or deplaning in Anchorage?

Thanks again--I really appreciate it!

Jayne

When we arrived via train to anchorage-- no one asked to see anything...

The whole trip I was amazed that the whole passport issue was a non issue. They barely even looked at it when we got to vancouver.. seriously we forgot to sign our passports and they didn't even notice... And in Skagway- the boarder guard never asked for passports.. just asked the driver if we all had id-- the driver said yes and we motored along.

When we arrived via train to anchorage-- no one asked to see anything...

The whole trip I was amazed that the whole passport issue was a non issue. They barely even looked at it when we got to vancouver.. seriously we forgot to sign our passports and they didn't even notice... And in Skagway- the boarder guard never asked for passports.. just asked the driver if we all had id-- the driver said yes and we motored along.

Thanks. :)

Any idea how this will effect US Direct?

The US Direct program only allows you to skip going thur canada customs. But

the US customs require currently birth cert or passport. So when you get on

on your us plane you will be required to show birth cert or passport.

But with this new rule you need to show paperwork of us citizenship. Just because you using the us direct it doesn't get you out of the requirement of

showing us citizenship.

Just one more question if you don't mind--since we'll be flying from Vancouver to Anchorage, there won't be a problem boarding in Canada or deplaning in Anchorage?Jayne

Jayne, I think you will have a problem with this. :(

The current passport requirements state that if you are RE-ENTERING THE US BY AIR from a foreign country, you must have (1) a valid passport OR (2) a passport application receipt evidencing that you applied for your passport prior to 6-8-07 and a government issued photo ID.

So, to re-enter the US in Anchorage via a flight from Vancouver, your DH and DD will need passports OR passport application receipts and a photo ID (except for DD, who will only need the passport application receipt).

Further, if an airline flies you to a country and you do not have the required documentation to enter, then the airline must bring you back to the departure point at its own cost. Therefore, most airlines will check to make sure passengers have the requisite documentation to both enter their destination country and return their departure country, and will not allow them to board their departure plane if they do not.

Your DH and DD may not be allowed to board the plane in Vancouver without a passport/passport receipt.

Canada does not require US citizens to show a passport. It only requires a certified copy of your birth certificate and a government issued photo ID, and you can travel back and forth between the US and Canada on foot, or by ship/auto/plane with a BC and ID. It is the US requirement for re-entry BY AIR that will cause problems for you.

Just an FYI, took me exactly 13 weeks to receive my 2 childrens birth certificates. and by the way, don't even bother calling, we never ever got through, they disconnect you with no warning every time. It's maddening, and very frustrating to say the least. With all that frustration of not knowing if we were ever going to receive my kids passports, they lift the passport regulations and extend the timeline, Now we have them, but wow! We actually thought we would have to cancel our cruise!

I'll look into it further and make sure we have what we need.

I do so hope you can find an easy way to work it out, and that you can find someone with accurate information. It seems to be such a scramble just to figure out what "they" want you to do!:)

We're caught in a passport "twilight zone" ourselves (and I've posted this story before, so I promise this is the last time!). Our assports have been ordered, but DH doesn't show up in the system so we can't print his receipt. He emailed the passport office, and they confirmed his application is in process. They won't confirm that he can use the email instead of the "official" receipt. :(

However, we are flying into Vancouver (which does not require a passport) and "re-entering" the US by walking on to the cruise ship (which does not require a passport) and then flying home from Anchorage (which also does not require a passport). But, our airline has advised it will not let us board our departure flight out of Dallas for Vancouver without a passport. The airline is assuming that, since we are flying into Vancouver, we will return from Vancouver (which would require a passport). Technically, we don't need a passport at all for any portion of this cruise trip. LOL! I think Mulder and Scully would have something to say about this conspiracy.:D

I do so hope you can find an easy way to work it out, and that you can find someone with accurate information. It seems to be such a scramble just to figure out what "they" want you to do!

We're caught in a passport "twilight zone" ourselves (and I've posted this story before, so I promise this is the last time!). Our assports have been ordered, but DH doesn't show up in the system so we can't print his receipt. He emailed the passport office, and they confirmed his application is in process. They won't confirm that he can use the email instead of the "official" receipt.

However, we are flying into Vancouver (which does not require a passport) and "re-entering" the US by walking on to the cruise ship (which does not require a passport) and then flying home from Anchorage (which also does not require a passport). But, our airline has advised it will not let us board our departure flight out of Dallas for Vancouver without a passport. The airline is assuming that, since we are flying into Vancouver, we will return from Vancouver (which would require a passport). Technically, we don't need a passport at all for any portion of this cruise trip. LOL! I think Mulder and Scully would have something to say about this conspiracy.

OMG! And, I thought our situation was getting complicated--I'm feeling a little better about it now. :rolleyes:

Our assports have been ordered, but DH doesn't show up in the system so we can't print his receipt.

Maybe the problem is that your DH applied for an "assport" instead of a passport??? ;) So sorry--just couldn't resist--some typos are just too funny. :D I'm sure with your frustration at this point that assport might be an appropriate name for it!

Best of luck in figuring it all out! I'll be sure to post when we figure out what we're going to do.

Regards,

Jayne

Oh my God Jayne I just laughed out loud so hard, sitting here all be myself in my house! Yep, I think the country should officially call them "assports"! That's what you feel like when you wait 5 months for them and then pay another million dollars to get them on time!! Just had to tell you, you made my day!! :)

OK, my husband and I both have passports, so I've only been following the recent passport fiasco with half an ear. However, can someone cut to the chase and tell me what I might expect given our scenario: We fly to Dallas from MD, fly to Vancouver, spend night there, board ship. End up in Anchorage, fly to Seattle, spend night there, fly to Dallas, change planes, and then fly home to DC Dulles. On the cruise, I will drive from Skagway up to Canada and back. When will I have to show a passport? Driver's license? Also, when will we go through Customs and Immigration - when we get to Vancouver (Canadian), and then when we get home to DC (U.S.)? Since we will bring our passports, it's not a big deal, since we have them and are all set, but now you've got me curious....

Oh my God Jayne I just laughed out loud so hard, sitting here all be myself in my house! Yep, I think the country should officially call them "assports"! That's what you feel like when you wait 5 months for them and then pay another million dollars to get them on time!! Just had to tell you, you made my day!! :)

Thanks! LOL Just couldn't resist! :D:D

Now, I'm confused again about what we do and don't need for our cruise. I've got to do some research. We decided last night that we should just drive to Seattle and fly to Vancouver from there. I have my passport, but DH and DD don't. Time to figure this out (past time really! yikes!).

Jayne

Maybe the problem is that your DH applied for an "assport" instead of a passport??? ;) So sorry--just couldn't resist--some typos are just too funny. :D

Have been away and missed this uproarious discussion!! My DH will love it!!:D :D Censors, kindly excuse the language!!:o

OK, my husband and I both have passports, so I've only been following the recent passport fiasco with half an ear. However, can someone cut to the chase and tell me what I might expect given our scenario: We fly to Dallas from MD, fly to Vancouver, spend night there, board ship. End up in Anchorage, fly to Seattle, spend night there, fly to Dallas, change planes, and then fly home to DC Dulles. On the cruise, I will drive from Skagway up to Canada and back. When will I have to show a passport? Driver's license? Also, when will we go through Customs and Immigration - when we get to Vancouver (Canadian), and then when we get home to DC (U.S.)? Since we will bring our passports, it's not a big deal, since we have them and are all set, but now you've got me curious....

You are correct it no big deal... you are set to go.

Passport

At Check in in MD

At entry to Canada or other ID unless you are using US direct.

At Ship or other ID

At border both ways in AK/Can when driving or other ID (maybe they are pretty cool there.)

At Airport Check in in AK

and sometimes/maybe when getting back onto your ship, if they advise you to carry picture ID. (or TAke a photo copy of your picture page or carry DL off ship)

DL. likely to your rental agent in Skagway ... if you are using a rental.

I think it would work like this:

(1) Show passports to airline when boarding in Dallas to go to Vancouver to prove you CAN re-enter the US by air from Canada (even though you WON'T be flying home from Canada):rolleyes:

(2) Show passports to Canadian authorities upon arrival in Canada :) (Canada is happy to see you; it would accept a certified copy of your birth certificate and your driver's license in lieu of a passport)

(3) Show passports to US authorities when clearing US customs at the port in Vancouver to board the cruise ship :D (You are very happy to board your cruise ship bound for adventures in Alaska; the US doesn't really care, since you aren't required have to have a passport to walk/drive/cruise "back" into the US and besides, US doesn't want to mention the passport fiasco; but it has to see your birth certificate and DL or passport or passport receipt and DL or pictures of your firstborn child--LOL)

(4) Show passports to Canadian authorities when entering BC from US on the drive from Skagway :D (Canada is still happy to see you; would again accept birth certificate and license in lieu of passport)

(5) Show passports to US authorities when re-entering US from BC on the drive back to Skagway :) (US pretty much feels the same as before)

(6) Will not need passports after that, as you will be in the US for the rest of your cruise and flight home

Archived