Help - I'm Overwhelmed!

rebburke

My family and I are taking a cruise out of Seward June of next year. We will arrive Anchorage the Saturday night before the cruise. We are planning on renting a car for the entire time we are there. We leave Seward on Friday and will drive down from Anchorage on Wednesday giving us plenty of time to stop and see sights along the way as well as having most of 2 days in Seeward. My problem is that I don't know what to do with our time from Sunday morning to Wednesday morning in Anchorage. My 10 year old son wants to go to Wasilla to the dog sled museum - should we head on up to Denali for a couple of nights or just do things around Anchorage? If we do go to Denali how long does it take to get there and what should we plan to see along the way? On the way back to Anchorage is there a different route we can take to see different things than on the way up? It will be my husband and I, our 17 year old daughter and 10 year old son so there will be varied interests. Any and all help is welcomed. Thanks!

You have LOTS of time, so just relax and enjoy the planning! I'm not sure HOW I could have planned our upcoming trip without this forum! To start you may want to go to a few websites and order their travel guides:

www.travelalaska.com

www.anchorage.net

www.seward.com

www.kenaipeninsula.org

The "search" function is a GREAT help if you have a specific question, or just ask, and we have some real experts here who can help you!

It is about a 6 hour drive from Anchorage to Denali if you stop a few times. With a week in AK beforehand, if you are at all interested in wildlife or the chance to see Mt. McKinley, I would definitely head to Denali. Perhaps something like this:

Sat arrive Anchorage

Sun drive to Denali, perhaps stop in Talkeetna for lunch and a look around town - flightseeing if you are interested? Or stop in Wasilla on the way.

Mon - shuttle bus to Wonder Lake (or Fish Creek if before Jun 8)

Tue - check out visitor center, short hikes near park entrance, sleddogs, drive to Wasilla/Anchorage

Wed - drive to Seward

Thu - in Seward

Fri - board cruise

If it were me, I would spend an extra night at Denali and one less night in Seward. Your cruise will not leave until later in the day on Friday so if you arrive there on Thursday about noon (after a night in Anchorage) you will still have plenty of time in Seward. If you did this, I would recommend that you spend more time in Denali.

For example, Monday night and Tuesday night at the Skyline Lodge in Kantishna. This is 90+ miles into Denali NP. You reach it by Camper Bus, not Shuttle Bus. It is a great place - you can book one room for all four of you for +-$200/night. You can eat with the staff (they run Kantishna Air) or bring your own food. Why do I suggest staying here?

1) you are deep inside the park - just beautiful

2) better chance to see Mt. McKinley - it is often "out" later in the day through early the next morning or parts thereof. That was the case for us during our three night stay last June at Wonder Lake. Shuttle buses to Wonder Lake are back at the park entrance by early evening.

3) You will feel like you have the entire park to yourself - you are heading east on the shuttle buses when most people are heading west and vice versa. By spending two nights there, you can take buses and hop on/off depending on whether you want to do some hiking or if you see some wildlife and the bus driver doesn't want to stop as long as you do, just ask the driver to let you off 1/2 mile down the road and catch the next bus back.

That would be Mon/Tue night. Wed take the camper bus back to the park entrance and drive to Anchorage. Makes for a somewhat long day but you are only driving yourselves for about 5-6 hours.

Note that the camper bus ticket this year costs $25 and allows you unlimited rides on all camper and shuttle buses west of mile 20. It is a real bargain.

Note also that the only car rental company in Seward is Hertz. Check out car rentals two ways:

1) Anchorage to Seward for the entire week

2) Anchorage to Anchorage from arrival until you return to Anchorage then a one-way rental for just a day or two from Anchorage to Seward

Note too that due to the high airport fees, if you can pick up your car in downtown Anchorage you will probably save $50-$100 in taxes/fees for a week rental. It might be easy to do by staying in a downtown hotel the night you arrive in Anchorage or staying near the airport then taking a taxi or shuttle from the hotel to the downtown rental location.

Glad that you are starting early - I saved LOTS of money on my upcoming July 2007 trip to Alaska by booking hotels and car rentals 9-11 months in advance.

I too would not look at firm plans this early. Determine, IF you wish to consider Denali Park, with going there, you really need to invest the time to get back and forth, 6 hours Anchorage/Denali park with a few stops, and then the time to get into the park, to at least Fish Creek- 8 hours. http://www.nps.gov/dena It is a wonderful area and the best bargain going for wildlife. The concern will be the kids- and if this touring matches with them??

Talkeetna is a worthwhile stop, I would NOT drive Denali park/Seward in a single day, and adding a day in Anchorage, would certainly be VERY worthwhile. Plenty to see and do.

I too suggest you cut back a day in Seward, 2 days is plenty, and do NOT be in a rush to get on your ship. Use that day for Seward touring and plan on boarding, early evening. Makes far better use of your time.

A necessary reference is THE MILEPOST, try your library for a copy. You will be going the same route back and forth Anchorage/Denali park, only one road. But clearly different views depending on the direction. :)

I too was overwhelmed and a bit confused when I first started planning our trip...and I have made quite a few changes based on the knowledge and wisdom of these boards. Don't be afraid to ask questions and more clarifying questions. The imput on these boards is so helpful and no question that I have asked has gone unanswered. You do have plenty of time to plan...enjoy the journey!:)

Thanks everyone for ALL of the helpful advice. I think we will head to Seward on Thursday instead. I'm just trying to plan for rental vehicle(s). It seems to be cheaper to get a car for the Anchorage - Denali portion and then another from Hertz for a one way to Seward. The prices are reasonable right now and I want to make sure I have rentals in place based on how I "think" I want to tour. You all are the best. I will keep reading each day and order the tour guides but I think I now have my basic touring plan in place. Thanks again.

Another great option for Anch to Seward is the train. Departs downtown Anch 6:45 am arriving in Seward 11am leaving a good part of the day for Seward activities. Very easy to get around Seward without a vehicle. Have fun planning!

Just got to thinking - is the Skyline Lodge in Kantishna open the first week of June? I would really like to fly in there and stay a couple of nights and then bus back out but I wasn't sure if it would be open that early.

Just got to thinking - is the Skyline Lodge in Kantishna open the first week of June? I would really like to fly in there and stay a couple of nights and then bus back out but I wasn't sure if it would be open that early.

No, they don't open until the second week, when the shuttle buses to Kantishna start running, 6-7

Archived