Don't want to cut it too close...

PrincessMelody

Hi,

I wondered if a 1pm return flight from Ft. Lauderdale after our cruise is too early? We are in a suite so we get priority disembakation, but I don't want to take a chance of missing our flight home. On the other hand, we could choose a 6pm flight home and not worry, but hate the thought of spending 4+ hours in the airport...any opinions? How long are you allowed to stay on the ship? (in case we choose the later flight)

Thanks

Hi Melody,

We're taking the Zuiderdam in October and we're booked on a flight out at about 12:30, like you, we're in a suite so we should be able to get off relatively quickly. Our TA said we should have plenty of time, HAL recommends 4 hours from the time the ship docks before flights leave, I think you'll be fine :)

Erlene

I have always taken a 12:30 pm flight out of Ft. Lauderdale home. I am usually at the airport by 9:45 - 10 a.m. You should be fine. I opted for an 11:30 a.m. flight this year, but I am flying home on a Wednesday, should be less traffic, I HOPE and I am not in a suite. You should be fine with your fight, enough time to spare.

Enjoy your cruise.

I hope you're ok, because we're booked on a 12:00 flight on 09/11. It was that or 6:00 and we did that last time. Not good. Plus, they won't let you check in more than 4 hours prior, I think. If that's not right, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Last year on Maasdam, we had a 2:00 flight on the Sunday after Thanksgiving from FLL, which is traditionally one of the busiest times at an airport. We checked in at the ticket counter at exactly 10:00. Reason I remember that is because at that time, our airline would begin checking in baggage up to 4 hours prior to flight time, and the agent joked that we timed it just right that day. We were not suite passengers (lowly inside passengers) and we still arrived at that early time even though the disembarkation seemed to drag on forever (we stood in line near the gangway for 45 minutes after our group was called). It was the longest disembarkation process we have been through on a cruise. Taxi ride to FLL was quick.

:)

On our Oosterdam cruise last March not all suite passengers got priority passes to get off the ship. That was because some had made arrangemnts to go to hotels, etc.

To ensure that you are off the ship, just mark down on your immigration form a flight time of 11 (instead of 1) and do the same thing on the form you get in your suite. They don't have time to check all the flight times to see if they are accurate.

:)

Archived