Juneau whales - independent operators

babars

Are there independent boat operators waiting immediately outside of the cruise ship who can take us whale watching? Can anyone share their experience? What's the cost?

We're on the NCL and arriving in Juneau on June 27 at 7 am. Many of the recommended operators on this website seem to be booked for that time.

Thanks.

i didn't see any last year. i'm surprised that orca is sold out, since they have 2 or 3 boats they use. the other 6 passenger boats, i can unstand.

i would just do the ship's tour, if it comes down that it. several people from my roll call, last year, booked through the cruise line and loved it.

When our helicopter tour was cancelled due to weather conditions at the last minute in Juneau, we were able to book a whale watch with Capt. Larry right at the dock. We were not on his "big boat" but on the smaller one and I was just as pleased. It was more personal and we saw lots of whales. I think our boat less than 25. The main office of "Orca Tours" was just across the street which is where we met to catch the bus. I can't remember what we paid.

I booked Orca as soon as I got off the ship. There were booths set outside the visitor's center with a few venders selling their tours. I would think as the busy season approaches they fill up before the ships arrive.

I paid $105.00.

It was a good watch, but pretty much the same experience that everyone I talked to onboard had. You could see all the boats scurrying to the whales when one was in view.

Our bus ride was great, Terry was very nice, she set up teh tour and was the galley gal. The narrator and captain were very informative. We did have the infamous Captain Larry.

Archived