caution about ordering dresses

lydiagb

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else but I'm posting so people can be aware. About a month ago I ordered a dress from David's Bridal. It was supposed to arrive at the store 8/27 but I got a call that it came in about 2 weeks ago. I said that I wanted to wait till the shoes I ordered came in and then I would pick them up together. Well I received a call on Monday from the store that they are having an audit this Sunday and everyone had to come and pick up their dresses before then. It was implied to me that my dress could get lost or misplaced in the audit and I absolutely had to come in before then even though the shoes had not arrived yet. I was not happy and asked to speak to the manager. I got a call back from the manager and she said both pairs of shoes were in and they would be ready the next day. So on Wednesday I went to the store so I could try on the dress and shoes. Well only one pair of shoes was in and the dress was the wrong size, it was 4 sizes too small. The shipping center sent the wrong size and the person receiving the shipments did not check it against the order. Speaking to the assistant manager in person she said that she told me only one pair of shoes were in and that she didn't say both. But I made it clear on the phone that I wouldn't come in till both pairs were there and dyed. The store put in a rush order on the gown to correct their mistake. It is supposed to arrive in the store on 8/17 and they are going to ship the gown and second pair of shoes overnight to me so I should receive them 8/19 or 8/20 which allows them time to check in and then ship it out. I'm about 45 minutes from the store which isn't too far but still a bit of a drive.

So I guess the moral of the story is don't count on the stores to get it right and check everything thoroughly before you leave the store. I could tell the dress was not my size (I wish I was 4 sizes smaller) and looked at the tag before they even pulled the bag off of it. Luckily I gave 9/1 as the date of my event instead of the actual date of the cruise which is 9/12. I listened to my intuition which was not to have my husband pick the dress and shoes up for me before he went to work which is near the store. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything comes out correctly the second time around.

As long as it all turns out in the end I'll be happy and I can't wait for our cruise! Here is a link to the dress http://davidsbridal.com/bridesmaids_dresses_bycolor_detail.jsp?stid=436&pid2=2768&cfid=33 . This link shows the front of the dress but in a different color http://davidsbridal.com/catalog_search.jsp?searchon=style&searchfor=8023 . It is style 8023 in victorian lilac. For our three night cruise we have 3 formal nights and I have one black gown, one ice pink and one victorian lilac (all different styles). I figured it was nice to have a range of colors. I also found the coolest Jerry Garcia silk tie for my husband that has the exact same color of my victorian lilac gown in it. It looks really cool!

Lydia

Ugh - sorry to hear of your dilemma. In ref to sizes, the one thing that I have found when ordering from a bridal shop is to go UP :eek: a size, at least for me. I have no idea why, but there is no way that I can fit into a 6. I have to go to an 8, sometimes a 10!!!:eek:

Thanks. I actually tried on the dress in the right size and ordered it in the right size. But the warehouse (they call it a shipping center) shipped the wrong size and the person who works at David's Bridal didn't look at the size of the dress and compare it to the size ordered on the paperwork. So let's say I ordered a size 10, they shipped a size 2. Does that make sense?

Lydia

Archived