Walk, train or trolly???

SandyR5

Hi - We'll be coming into Key West on Celebrity's Summit and want to see the town. Can we just walk around, see the sites and get a flavor of the place or do you recommend the train or trolly for an overview first? It sounds like a 90 minute train/trolly ride is a long ride...especially for people who like to walk and explore...but we do want to see the place. So...what's your opinion?

Thanks so much.

You can easily walk around Old Town. If you want to see the entire island than you would need to do the train or trolley. We have been to Key West several times on cruise stops and have stayed there for a few days. Our first trip there we did the train and it was okay but I think we did better when we got off and started walking. The Southern Most point was an easy walk, the old seaport, mallory square ... all are easy to walk to/from. We also found that a great place to stop and refresh was a bar at the end of Duval Street. Plenty of benches right there on the water, great breeze, some umbrellas for shade and a bar for a refreshing beverage. Great opportunity to get off the feet for a bit and enjoy a fabulous view.

The absolute best way to LEARN about KW is to take the Conch Tour. There are lots of things to see, but by walking you won't have a clue what you're looking at. Each structure has a rich and fascinating history. Besides, the interesting sites are scattered around old town. With a time limiting walk, you just can't get a meaningful introduction to the island.

Even more important, the tour will enable you to prioritize specific things you will want to see more closely, then target them afterwards. As a minimum you'll know where they're located in proximity to one another.

We were in Key West last week, and we did the the trolley (the driver tells you all about all the points of interest). It's a great way to see the island and on the trolley tour, you can get off at the different stops and look around, then reboard on the next trolley (I think they came every 30 minutes or so). I seem to remember on the conch train, it's only a tour and you are not able to get on and off the tour.

We found the humidity to be almost overwhelming, and found the trolley a great way to see everything, and yet get off and walk around. It was well worth the money.

We did the trolley in Boston and had such a wonderful experience, we did the one in Key West. We weren't disappointed. :)

We just got back from our cruise and the first stop was at Key West on a Sunday. We did the Conch Train tour when we first got off the ship and then walked back to the places we wanted to see. We had planned on the trolley since we heard you could get on and off when you wanted, but that was not the case. They don't run those all the time and the only trolleys operating were the same as the Conch Train tour.

We are headed to Key West for our third visit in 2 years this December and are planning to use the Bone Island Shuttle. From a previous thread Click Here For Bone Island Map

Paticakes - Was the Bone Island not running when you were there?

For the Foodies in the group, check out the conch fritters at the stand in front of the aquarium. We wanted to try some on our last trip and asked a couple of the local shop merchants where they go. They pointed us to the stand and the fritters were great :D

A couple of thoughts...the Bone Island Shuttle is primarily set up to get folks from the outlying hotels into town..while I am sure it would get you from point to point in town...not sure it would be my choice of transportation. Not sure why the Trolley wasn't letting you on and off...that is certainly my understanding of how they operate.

My first thought on reading the inital question is to tell you to walk. There are several good guidebooks available in town (some are free) that give suggested walking tours...I would make my first stop the lobby of the Hilton and check out what brochures etc are in their rack and strike out. While I agree that the Trolley or the Conch Train gives a better overall view of the island, given ya'll are walkers....I would go ahead and do it that way.

Clay - a key west local

Well, after reading all your posts and looking at the map, I think we're just going to continue to read up and learn about the attractions and walk, walk, walk. I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Thanks again.

Archived