"Best" London Airport for Dover?

We are planning to fly from Edinburgh to London then travel to Dover.

• Which airport would be "best" (easiest to then get to Dover) for Dover? We can fly to Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted or Luton for pretty much the same cost.

• What is the best way to get from that airport to Dover? Options would be train, bus, hire car?

If it makes a difference we would be travelling on a Saturday in early October and would probably aim to leave Edinburgh early (before 9am).

I just wish they had chosen Southampton as the departure point.

Gatwick will the best.

Check here yourself:

http://www.kentpublictransport.info/planner.htm

Enter as destination: Dover (Kent), Cruise Liner Terminal (on Adminalty Pier)

Gatwick abt. 3-4 transfers (incl. door-door-walk) = abt. 3 hours

Heathrow abt. 3-4 transfers = abt. 3 1/2 hours

London City abt. 3-5 transfers = abt. 3 1/2 hours

Stansted abt. 3-5 transfers = abt. 4 hours

Luton abt. 3-5 transfers = 3 3/4 hours

Paris Charles de Gaulle abt. 3 transfers = abt. 3 1/2 hours

Regards

HeinBloed

:) please let me know how you make out...I am planning it sounds like the same trip ..however, I live in Florida and am trying to find out this same info..My mom lives in Scotland so I plan on visiting her before the cruise or maybe even after , who knows...thankyou for any info given:)

• Which airport would be "best" (easiest to then get to Dover) for Dover? We can fly to Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted or Luton for pretty much the same cost.

• What is the best way to get from that airport to Dover? Options would be train, bus, hire car?

If it makes a difference we would be travelling on a Saturday in early October and would probably aim to leave Edinburgh early (before 9am).

Have you considered City airport [LCY]. It is a £15 cab fare from there to either Charing Cross or Victoria train stations from where you can get the train to the port. Failing that Gatwick is the best option.

Have you considered City airport [LCY]. It is a £15 cab fare from there to either Charing Cross or Victoria train stations from where you can get the train to the port. Failing that Gatwick is the best option.

I did consider London City airport, but only after I posted! What I hadn't considered was a taxi from there to Charing Cross or Victoria. Will look at that option again.

What I had come up with was early flight to Heathrow, tube to Victoria (changing at Hammersmith, I think) then train to Dover. We tend to travel fairly lightly and would be early enough to miss main crowds on the tube.

What I had come up with was early flight to Heathrow, tube to Victoria (changing at Hammersmith, I think) then train to Dover. We tend to travel fairly lightly and would be early enough to miss main crowds on the tube.
If you're happy to do Tube and train, then Gatwick would actually be a bit easier (esp if you arrive at the South Terminal), because it would just be Gatwick Express to Victoria, then mainline train (can't remember which operator) to Dover Priory.

From Heathrow it's not too bad, as you say - although I would personally recommend changing at Barons Court rather than Hammersmith because it's a shorter cross-platform walk and a quieter station. Unless it's raining, in which case Hammersmith platforms are more sheltered. But getting out of the Tube station from the District Line involves compulsory stairs, I think - not quite as good with any luggage. But the advantages of Heathrow may outweigh these comparatively minor disadvantages.

• 4 weeks later...
If you're happy to do Tube and train, then Gatwick would actually be a bit easier (esp if you arrive at the South Terminal), because it would just be Gatwick Express to Victoria, then mainline train (can't remember which operator) to Dover Priory.

From Heathrow it's not too bad, as you say - although I would personally recommend changing at Barons Court rather than Hammersmith because it's a shorter cross-platform walk and a quieter station. Unless it's raining, in which case Hammersmith platforms are more sheltered. But getting out of the Tube station from the District Line involves compulsory stairs, I think - not quite as good with any luggage. But the advantages of Heathrow may outweigh these comparatively minor disadvantages.

Kruzin', we've gone with Globaliser's recommendation, .

We're flying from Edinburgh to Gatwick then will catch the Gatwick Express to Victoria where we'll catch a train to Dover.

You say you are travelling light ,then book a funfare with national express from Victoria Coach station,book soon, fare as little £1 London -Dover.

• 3 years later...

We are planning on staying at the Park Plaza Victoria and wondering what would be the closest airport (Gatwick or Heathrow) to the hotel.

Also, would one catch the National Express bus to Dover from the Victoria Station?

Would we be best to hire a taxi from either of these airports to the hotel or is there an alternative cheaper mode of transportation?

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Either LHR or LGW are OK for the Park Plaza. From Gatwick use the train. Use the Southern service, not Gatwick Express. Gatwick Express takes 30 mins for £16.90, Southern takes 33mins for no more than £11.30 (and quite often only £5). From Heathrow easiest is to use National Express coach to Victoria Coach station (which is about 300 yds down Buckingham Palace Road from the train station).

For Dover you can either go by train from Victoria (direct train every hour to Dover Priory) for £27.30, or get the coach to Dover from Victoria Coach station to Dover. Can be anywhere between £1 and £14 according to when you book. Train takes about 2 hrs, coach about 2 1/2 hrs. Websites to help are http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm and http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Simon

Archived