When and Where to see Penguins?

cruise&dive

In my research for my upcoming cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires, I found out that the Puerto Madryn, Argentina, port of call has tours to the penguin rookery at Punta Tombo. This is the 2nd-largest penguin rookery IN THE WORLD (only Antarctica has a larger one), and the penguins are there year-round. So, I've put a tour to Punta Tombo at the top of my shore excursion list.

FYI, I got this info from reading this forum--try a word search on penguins, you'll find plenty of postings! Enjoy your cruise!

We have been to South America twice.

We really enjoyed the Penguins at Punta Arenas, Chile. You could get very close up to them and it was in a very natual setting. We visited there in early Feburary and there were quite a few penguins. The viewing takes place at the Otway Sound and Penguin Reserve.

We also saw the Pengiuins in early February of this year at the Falkland Islands. It was quite good too but we prefered the type of Penguins at Punta Arenas a good deal more and thought the setting was nicer.

In either case, dress warmly. It was windy both days and you are right off the water in an open setting. So, be sure to layer with a hat, gloves, jacket, sweater and pants to keep you warm.

Cruising South America is wonderful. Lots of natual beauty.

Keith

We took our SA/Anarctica cruise in December 2003. We opted for the excusrsion to St. Magdalena Island penguin preserve from Punta Arenas. It involved getting on a tour bus for a 5-minute ride to another pier, where our bus (and 3 other busses) drove onto a ferry. It was about a 45-minute transit to St. Magdalena island. Once there, we had about 2 hours to roam around the island. The naturalist estimated that there were about 100,000 Magellenic penguins on the island (judging from the smell, I wouldn't doubt it)! There were paths fo humans and the penguins were everywhere, and there were a lot of burrows with young chicks in them and we saw a few uhnatched eggs. There is an operational lighthouse on the island, as well, that is open to the public. We climbed all the way to the top. We were able to get very close to the penguins even with the single-wire fences on either side of the paths. The wires were just tall enough to allow the penguins free passage across the paths to get to the shore and return. We really enjoyed the excursion, even though the ferry transit was quite brisk. The ferry had very limited enclosed areas so those who wanted to stay out of the wind during the transits could stay on the busses. We liked being outside. Hope this helps!

We did our South American cruise in Feb this year and saw penguins in several places but I must say that Punto Tombo in Puerto Madryn surpassed all my expectations.We did a private tour and arrived at the colony well before the ships buses so had the place to ourselves,just fantastic.It is approx 100 miles from the port but the long journey was certainly worth it.I also enjoyed seeing the penguins in the Falkland Islands,but nothing matched Punto Tombo for me.

Puerto Madryn:

Puerto Madryn:

http://www.whalespatagonia.com.ar

Originally recommended by Dileep. We used them in Jan 2007. Long ride by bus. Very large number of Penguins nesting there. We had time to stop in the Welsh Village on the way back. However, Princess seems to have done away with the port call in Puerto Madryn.

Falkland Island:

Sparrow Cove. Fewer Penguins but the Penguins came over to nibble at the Jeans and shoes! No one shooed them away or touched them and after a minute or so they went away. We took the Princess tour -- tender to the other side of Falkland Island then a 30 min very bumpy Jeep ride. Princess books all the avalable space and there are no private tours to that side.

/Sultan

who you used for your private tour out of Puerto Madryn? Thank you.

Could you tell us why you prefer Punta Arenas over Punto Tombo? For some reason, I had gotten the idea that you were up closer and saw more penguins at Punto Tombo..also that it was a long very windy cold walk to look at the penguins behind a fence at Punta Arenas.

I may have gotten the whole penguin viewing thing all confused!! Help.

I throroughly enjoyed the Penguins in Punta Arenas. It was a windy day but we were dressed properly for it so it was no big deal. The drive was about one hour and when we got there I was very impressed witht the area. We then started walking on the pathway and all of a sudden we saw lots of penguins on both sides of the pathway. Eventually, you come to one area that has a wall and if you walk up the wall you could see various penguins on the beach and in the water. It was very nice.

All in all it was a wonderful day and I highly recommend it. We also saw Penguins on our recent cruise at the Falkland Islands. These were a different type of penguin and while we enjoyed this as well they were a different species of penguin and we prefered the species at Punta Arenas the best. But, both were nice.

Keith

Archived