Travelex for foreign currency

frcia

Is Travelex reasonable for exchanging US dollars for Euros and Pounds?

Thanks

No, this one of those that charge poor exchange rates, in my opinion. Check with your bank or better yet wait until you are overseas and go to a bank's atm and just take it out of your checking account.

No, this one of those that charge poor exchange rates, in my opinion. Check with your bank or better yet wait until you are overseas and go to a bank's atm and just take it out of your checking account.

I agree. We have seen really big spreads in the buy / sell (~15%). Our best deal is drawing out of an ATM from our Credit Union account. I get the daily exchange rate plus 1% fee.

We recently did a TransAtlantic cruise and exchanged our currency through our bank before hand. Got a good exchange rate (WAY better than Travelex) and our banks did not charge us a fee to do it. Some banks do. Also, make sure that when you go to use your ATM in a foreign port/bank that your bank has an agreement with them, otherwise the fees can be much higher than 1%. My bank did and I wouldn't have incurred a fee, but I didn't need to use it. Also, do you really want to spend precious vacation time looking for an ATM? Just my thoughts...

I strongly second the suggestion of using an ATM abroad to get cash -- the rate is so much better, and it really saves you a lot of hassle (I've never had trouble finding an ATM in Europe -- even in a small town in Russia). Very important, though, is to make sure to tell your bank that you'll be abroad and using your card, so that they don't put a hold on it for suspected theft when they start seeing charges/withdrawals coming in from overseas.

......... Also, do you really want to spend precious vacation time looking for an ATM? Just my thoughts...

You walk by them all the time if you do any "wandering" around town. I can only remember one time getting off the ship, walking into town after our tour to "find" an ATM, and that only was because it was our first New Zealand port and we wanted some kiwi dollars.

Of the countries we have traveled to, ATMs are more prevelant (and easier to find) in Europe / England / Scotland / Greece / Med / Australia / New Zealand / Fiji / Canada /........... than in the US.

Of the countries we have traveled to, ATMs are more prevelant (and easier to find) in Europe / England / Scotland / Greece / Med / Australia / New Zealand / Fiji / Canada /........... than in the US.

Chasetf........what 'networks' have you encountered at these ATMs abroad? I am mainly interested in Italy and Greece.........Plus, Star, Interlink, Cirrus etc.? We have a Capital One card that charges no fees for foreign purchases. Can't remember if they charge a fee for cash advances at ATMs. We are also getting an HBSC free checking account with an ATM card for getting cash....they are on the Star, Cirrus and Plus networks (NO fees charged for this!). Thanks

Watch Out! In many countries, those ATM may have prompts in the "Local Language" and you may have a tough time figuring out how to even get your card out let alone the money! Imagine asking someone for help in using the ATM after your card is in the machine. /Sultan

Watch Out! In many countries, those ATM may have prompts in the "Local Language" and you may have a tough time figuring out how to even get your card out let alone the money! Imagine asking someone for help in using the ATM after your card is in the machine. /Sultan

I've had some issues with this in the past, although in most European countries there is an English option. Ever since my ATM was "eaten" by a machine at the Gard du Nord in Paris on a Saturday morning leaving me with only change for the weekend, if I am uncertain about a machine or a language I use the ATMs at banks during open hours. That way if I run into trouble, someone may be able to help me.

Chasetf........what 'networks' have you encountered at these ATMs abroad? I am mainly interested in Italy and Greece.........Plus, Star, Interlink, Cirrus etc.? We have a Capital One card that charges no fees for foreign purchases. Can't remember if they charge a fee for cash advances at ATMs. We are also getting an HBSC free checking account with an ATM card for getting cash....they are on the Star, Cirrus and Plus networks (NO fees charged for this!). Thanks

Those are the same networks for my credit union and we saw them all across Greece and Italy. I can only remember one ATM I had to walk away from because it did not have those symbols (it was only a local bank). Found one I could use just down the block. You should have no problem.

All that we used had the option right up front on the front screen. They even include a flag for English (Usually the British flag) ;)

But like sultan mentions, if you do not see that option..... keep looking.

Archived