Red Cross Alert

Krazy Kruizers

I love the REDCRoss and think they do a great job however they sometimes(IMExperince) don't necessarily use these funds for the emergency that you think they do so be careful if you want your money to go exclusively to Florida...

I love the REDCRoss and think they do a great job however they sometimes(IMExperince) don't necessarily use these funds for the emergency that you think they do so be careful if you want your money to go exclusively to Florida...

As an active American Red Cross volunteer, I'd like to note that ALL Red Cross donations go exactly where you want them to. Thanks to the Red Cross' Donor DIRECT program, you specify whatever disaster or area of service you'd like your funds to support. In fact, to make sure this happens, all donors now recieve follow-up phone calls or letters to make sure that their donation goes to the right place/disaster/etc. Remember, the Red Cross is America's only nationally mandated disaster service organization, but recieves no government funding, so your donations make a real difference! Plus, our Disaster Fund is at an all-time low, so it's really needed.

Just make sure you note on your donation that you'd like the funds to go to the Florida Hurricanes (or any other disaster), and that money will go directly to people who need it.

(Sorry for the commercial, but I just wanted to set the facts straight)

I remember after 9-11, Bill O'Reilly of Fox News got on Red Cross about the fact his staff could not get verification of the disbursement of the huge funds donated for the Families. Funds were not necessarily disbursed only for 9-11 families as donors had intended. Funds went for many other things. As I recall, there were a few resignations and a few admissions but ultimately, appropriate changes were made. I have no memory of anything criminal being alleged just failure to abide by donors intentions.

Red Cross does wonderful work. The people who donate their time and energy are amazing, under appreciated, unapplauded people.

It is sometimes "those at the top" who IMO may not be doing things exactly as we would have wished/imagined.

That being said, IMO donations at this time are critical to help alot of folks who badly need a hand.

Agree with sail7seas - after 9/11 it was determined that a lot of the monies did not go the NY disaster relief.

Maybe the Big Wigs should take a reduction in salary and let the monies go to the disaster relief programs as was intended. They claimed that they needed the monies in other places rather than NY.

SO - if you do send a check - write a memo on it indicating that your check is to go specifically to the Florida Disaster Relief Fund.

Archived