Caribbean Princess - Beer no longer allowed?

TwinCruiserMom

I have a very sturdy duffle bag that will hold about 50 cans with no problem but it would weigh about 40 pounds. I know the weight limit for some airline luggage is 70 pounds so I would imagine 40 pounds would be ok. By the way, only half of the cans would be beer - the other half would be pop :) .We have also decided to go with the "box o' wine" instead of the bottles as they would pack easily.
Why do you need to bring 25 cans of beer and 25 cans of pop and a box of wine onboard?

Good point.

I'm not too concerned about the policy, although I was mildly interested. I don't drink much, but I was planning to take 2 bottles of wine and 1 bottle of champagne onboard. After all, it IS vacation! It's definitely not worth it to me to try to sneak anything onboard or argue with the Princess staff, though. I'm going to stick to the policy and limit it to 2 bottles. Thanks for the discussion.

Renee

If it is a vacation, why pack these bottles? Enjoy, something new. Relax, kick back and enjoy your vacation.

I aim to take a few bottles of wine on my upcoming Emerald cruise. I will have my passenger contract handy and be ready for a 'thorough and active discussion' should anyone chose not to comply with THEIR policy!!!!
Why make a fuss? This is a vacation.

I have been following these boards for months now and from many sources, it appeared that Port Everglades was allowing people to carry on beer.

However, I read that since the end of May, you are no longer allowed to do this and the beer is being confiscated.

To anyone who has cruised on the Caribbean Princess in the past month - did you see the security guards confiscating beer or were people carrying on their packs? Is security also taking wine over the one bottle per adult limit?

Would you be able to pack the beer in a cardboard box or padded duffle and check it with your other luggage?

Also, is it still possible to carry on or check either pop or water?

In the past some CC members have listed the items they carried on (a case of wine, case of beer, case of water, case of pop, etc, etc) and it seemed to be common knowledge that these items were acceptable as long as you stayed away from bottles of liquor. I would really like to know the guidelines that security is using now to board the CB.

Thanks so much!

How much beer did you want to bring onboard? Is this special beer? What is wrong with the beer onboard? Are you trying to save money? How much do you think you will save?

Why do folks feel that they need to carry beer onboard? I honestly do not understand.

I have a friend who is an alcoholic (though he wouldn't admit it) who cannot be more than 2 hrs away from a beer. Everything he does is planned around if a beer will be available. For instance, we cannot eat at a resturaunt unless he can get a beer to go with his food. :(

At the rate he drinks, his bar bill would be more than his fare. :eek: I would venture a guess many (not all) hauling cases aboard might fall into my friend's category. ;)

We are not alcoholics! I will probably have 1 - 2 beers a day on board (possibly 11 total) and hubby will have approximately 2 a day which equals 25 beers. OBVIOUSLY this does not fall in the abuse of alcohol category. It will cost around $15 for a case of beer and on board we would have to pay around $20 for 5 beers. I guess we are not rich like those of you who can be so carefree about purchasing drinks onboard. We are traveling with 3 teens and this is our big vacation we have saved for.

As for the box of wine, I was referring to the smaller sized ones that equal about 2-3 bottles of wine. Maybe a glass or two a day before dinner for each of us. If there is any left over, we will leave it for the steward.

We also will be taking pop onboard because we like mountain dew and RC which are not sold on the ship. And with 5 people in our family, purchasing a soda card is just an unreasonable amount of money to spend.

For those of you who have answered in a constructive way, thank you very much. There are many of us out there who are not wealthy and by cutting a few corners here and there we are able to enjoy a lovely vacation without running up a $1000 shipboard account. I would be very surprised if our shipboard account (besides tips) will be more than $100.

I definately understand about wanting to keep the bar tab down. IMHO the best way to do this is by packing a bottle or 2 of your favorite spirits onboard & buy a soda card. One of the things some are concerned about regarding beer (or pop for that matter) is that it puts a disproportionate burden on the crew to lug it to your cabin, plus more mess to clean up, thus giving Princess a reason to start putting the clamps down on bringing anything drinkable on board that isnt in line with their policy. This apparently is already starting to happen regarding beer. Hopefully it doesnt expand. To date, Princess has been somewhat flexible regarding this. If passengers continue to push the limits it will come to an end sooner than later for everyone. We all need to self-police on this.

Why do folks feel that they need to carry beer onboard? I honestly do not understand.

I dont get this one either. I do understand people wanting to keep their expenses down as much as possible, including their drink tab. What I dont think some people understand is that bringing beer, especially beer, onboard is an invitation for Princess to become hard-nosed on this simply due to the sheer volume involved. On the CB for example, if only 1 in 4 passengers brought one case onboard, that would total nearly 800 cases of beer needing to be carried to staterooms, trash to be hauled away, etc...

I dont get this one either. I do understand people wanting to keep their expenses down as much as possible, including their drink tab. What I dont think some people understand is that bringing beer, especially beer, onboard is an invitation for Princess to become hard-nosed on this simply due to the sheer volume involved. On the CB for example, if only 1 in 4 passengers brought one case onboard, that would total nearly 800 cases of beer needing to be carried to staterooms, trash to be hauled away, etc...

Your answer might be directly tied to the answer that everyone wants to know why there is not more fresh ground coffee onboard.

The space to store fresh coffee and the wasted grounds is being used by passengers empty bottles that they have brought onboard. I imagine this adds up to quite a big amount of space and weight too. :D

Can I just ask a obvious question ? Why don't you just buy your beers onboard ? Why do you want to go through all the trouble of lugging all that around and worrying about getting nabbed ?

Nabbed? They allow it. :)

A 30 pack of beer costs 18.99 (bud, bud lite coors, etc) onboard it is $4.00 per beer. That means that you are spending $120 on the same amount of beer when you could have spent just $18.99.. A savings of 101.01. But hey, some people dont think paying $1800+ on a ticket is enough, piss the rest of your money away :D

Remember: A penny saved is a penny earned

Archived