Requesting a FOD on a Cruise

skoolmom

OK everyone, until my last cruise, I'd never heard of Friends of Dorothy (Sigh, hang head down) but now that I know about it- here is my situation. Our entire family is cruising on RC May 2008. One of my sons and his life partner would love to have a chance to spend time and meet other couples and share stories, etc. Is there a way to request such a gathering before hand? I want everyone in our group to have a great time.

A loving Mom

I never have a problem with any cruise line except Holland, but if you can get the email address of the ship, simply write a note to the Cruise Director or the Hotel Manager and request a FOD for when you're all onboard. You can also wait till you board and then speak to the cruise director. Sometimes, the cruise lines surprise me and have the meetings allready in their daily newspaper. However, nowadays FODs are very common and no problems having them.

howndder

Skoolmom,

I love your signature: "T.V. wasn't working that week"! Is your 5 year old going with you on your cruise?

Princess cruises usually schedules "GLBT/Rainbow" get togethers without anybody asking. On my last 7 night cruise, there were three of them. Each was hosted by a member of the cruise staff and complimentary champagne was served. I thought it was real thoughtful to have a member of the cruise staff there to help everybody meet.

In the past, upon embarcation, I have written a short note to the cruise director and given the note to the guest relations (pursor's) desk for delivery. I usually receive a very nice note (and even a phone call) from the cruise director, welcoming me aboard and personally telling me when the FOD meetings would be scheduled.

Have a great cruise with your family.

Hobie.

What a great Mom to think of this. :D

Anyway, on our RCI Explorer last month, they had a bulletin board by the main desk. It was open for anyone to schedule an event. The new policy on that ship was that they did not make any special announcements for any groups in the Compass, but just told everyone to go look at the Bulletin board.

You should have no trouble setting one up. A good time is probably sometime between early and late seatings so people can either have after dinner or before dinner drinks.

What a pleasure it is too hear from all of you! I've put together a file of things to do for this cruise and I'm including all the information everyone has offered me in it!

Thanks again,

Beth

Hobie- our five year old is a "seasoned traveler!" He will be going on his 4 cruise in Oct and 5th next May.

Archived