What to do in Cannes ona Sunday?

We'll be in Cannes next month on a Millenium cruise on Sunday and they really don't offer much in the way of tours. We've been to Grasse and St. Paul de Vence as well as Monte Carlo on past cruises...figure most shops will be closed on Sunday...any suggestions for spending the day in that port???:)

We'll be in Cannes next month on a Millenium cruise on Sunday and they really don't offer much in the way of tours. We've been to Grasse and St. Paul de Vence as well as Monte Carlo on past cruises...figure most shops will be closed on Sunday...any suggestions for spending the day in that port???:)

Make it a chill out day of R&R...stroll the beaches,the town,take the train to Antibes for some great seafood,and just relax.:)

Rent a car and drive to St Paul de Vence. You can do a search on this wonderful village (I have posted much on the trip) which thrives on Sundays. As to Cannes, nearly all the decent shops will be closed on Sunday, but you could spend a day at the beach. There is a free sandy beach (a rarity in Europe) in Cannes, and its an easy walking distance from the tender pier (towards your left as you look towards land).

Hank

Thanks for all of your suggestions...we will probably walk to some of the sights mentioned and also take in the sandy beach near the port. Any idea where exactly the ship tenders drop you off at this port??? How far from there to the fort? Thanks again.

As to the last post, I have rented cars in Cannes on Sunday. I believe it was from Europcar who was open from 9 to 5 with a 2 hour closing at lunch. Not sure why the previous poster had a problem, but Europcar has a location right in town and is walkable from the tender pier (about 1 mile) or a short taxi ride. As to the tender pier in Cannes, its located just adjacent to the old port (Vieux Port) on the Quai Laubeur. Its a short walk from the pier, through (or around) a parking lot and than you are on the Quai St_Pierre. The best free beach is very close (Piage du Midi) and all of town is within walking distance.

Hank

Thanks. That's very helpful. I've gone ahead and booked a car for our own visit.

I had contacted Mistral Location and they had told me that they were closed on Sundays (despite their website saying to the contrary) and were not aware of any other hire car company in town that would be open.

Glad it worked out. One word of caution about the Europcar location. It can be a bit tricky to find the place when you return because of some one-way streets. Pay careful attention to the location and be sure to get your bearings as you leave. We do like to walk from the pier to the rental car dealer, but it is quite a hike...although it gives you a chance to walk through a good part of Cannes. If you are in a rush or do not want to take the long walk grab a taxi.

Hank

Bigwally, The distance to Europcar (from the tender pier) is probably a little less than a mile and it will take you 20 - 25 min to walk. Also keep in mind that they do not open until 9. When we visited last year, we were able to get on a early tender (we had priority privledges) and were on the tender pier by 8:00..so we stopped for some cafe au lait on the way. Its on the opposite side of town from the tender pier, which is actually a good thing if you really want to walk since you can see a lot of town on the way. As to St Paul de Vence, assuming you do not get lost or take a wrong turn, it takes about 45 min each way. I would recommend you get back to Cannes a little early (at least an hour before the last tender) in case you run into unexpected traffic or have some problems finding your way back to Europcar.

Hank

For me take a walk with my wife for a couple of hrs, an aperatiff maybe a kir royale then a pleasant 2hr lunch of friut de mare, with a pleasant wine, walk back to the ship, we go to our cabin, and have a penertrating conversation about current affairs, maybe about nicolas sarkozy whilst in the background sasha distel singing rain drop keep falling on my bed,im on hols, I do this in most ports all that planning and rushing I would worry about my blood pressure

Oh My! A Brit talking about Sarkozy? I would love to be a fly on the wall (smile).

Hank

my wife really is phobic about flies,on walls or in trousers,:eek: so I will brief you, sarkozy has polish heritage so do I that would be the start then his right wing zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Standby,,, I still contend that your engineers made a major error when they constructed the Chunnel. It should have run from the Western Coast of England, not the East (smile).

Hank

Hank it was a joint effort, we have a couple of good tunnels in liverpool, so I dont miss out,I was happy with this union of our country to europe, I would like to see a a federal state system of europe, but the first problem is with the strength of the £ we would have to devalue that would be political madness, I do not support the sarks right wing stance but I applaud the french people for voting in such large number, unlike some other countries, hope you have a pleasant w/end regards scouser

to get back to the original topic--can anyone recommend a nice place for lunch or drinks near where the ship will be tendering? we have a Sunday morning tour to Nice etc but would like some time on our own in the port.

hcat, I am assuming you are tendering into Cannes (not Villafranche). If you can find a map of Cannes (in many books or on-line) you will notice on the left side of the city (looking inland) which is the western side of town, a place labled Port... its immediately to the left (again looking inland) of the Palais des Festivales. Looking at this port area you will see that on the sea side (this would be at the lower left hand side of the Port) is a place called Quai Max Laubeuf. This is where the tenders land passengers.. and its actually at the far side of a public parking lot. As to lunch, as you walk off the pier/parking lot inland, you will see lots of cafes/restaurants facing the water (this would be on your left)..and any of these have decent food with a view. All of these cafes would be within a 5-10 minute stroll from the tenders. The secret to getting a good deal for your lunch is to eat the Menu d'Jour (Menu of the day) which is posted by every cafe on a blackboard. Since menus do vary, its fun to just read the menus and follow your instincts. My wife will generally run into any cafe that is featuring Moules (mussels) which are always great in France.

Hank

Archived