Packing for TP Cruise..

joyride

I'm starting to think about packing for our upcoming Tahiti/Cook Island 10 day cruise. So, I have a few questions.

1. Do you pack the same as you would for a Caribbean Cruise?

2. I'm bringing the snorkel gloves & booties after reading much about the coral and such - any other "must have" suggestions if we plan to spend alot of time with water activities?

3. What about formal nights - are they the same as on the Caribbean cruises, or maybe a little less formal??

4. Any other special nights we should be prepared for - I think I read about an "Island" night...

We are planning a pre & post cruise stay and will be hauling the luggage around a bit - so I'm going to try to pack as light as possible for this trip.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or tips!

...when you post a question and then see that 70 people have viewed it, but no one replys.

So, no one has done anything different for Tahiti?

I guess I will be OK with my normal Caribbean packing list - adding the scuba gloves and booties...

Thanks.

Hi, Joyride. Don't feel stupid! I have asked a lot of questions on these boards that died for lack of attention.

I have to admit that I'm one of the 70 people who viewed your thread and didn't respond.....mainly because I don't have an answer.....but since I'm going on the TP after you, I'm also interested in any information from previous cruisers about the trip....which is why I checked back. With a little luck, a real veteran will come along and give us both some pointers.

I think my packing is going to be quite similar to the Caribbean with a couple of extra swim suits. With all the boat trips, snorkeling, and motu picnics out there, swimwear seems to be the order of the day. I'll be interested in the comments on formal night, although a lot of the pictures people have posted have shown very dressy formal nights. I'm going to take the lightest weight formal clothes I have (that fit) and my guy is taking his tuxedo. We're doing b2bs, so I'll wear the same clothes on both trips.

I think this is going to be a great trip, and the next two months (for me) are going to go by quickly.

Hi Joyride,

We are doing the same trip as you and going in two weeks and I am packing very light as I assuming it will be very casual. Shorts, bathers, light sundresses, 3/4 pants and one formal dress to wear to both formal nights. I am also bringing my own snorkel gear.

Planning on travelling light, wash & wear type of clothing and washing every day.

As you are going after us, I will let you know when we return home.

Jane;)

I'm starting to think about packing for our upcoming Tahiti/Cook Island 10 day cruise. So, I have a few questions.

1. Do you pack the same as you would for a Caribbean Cruise?I guess that would depend on what you normally bring. The weather will be warm, so a few pairs of swimsuits, shorts, T shirts, sun dresses for dinner, capris, and a few good bottles of wine.:D

2. I'm bringing the snorkel gloves & booties after reading much about the coral and such - any other "must have" suggestions if we plan to spend alot of time with water activities?Sunscreen, bug spray, a hat, sunglasses, snorkle, mask and fins.

3. What about formal nights - are they the same as on the Caribbean cruises, or maybe a little less formal??Depends on your mood. People can be dressy or casual. Do what makes you feel good...no one else really cares...you're in Paradise!

4. Any other special nights we should be prepared for - I think I read about an "Island" night...Wear a pareo you bought at La Marche, and don't forget to buy some of those $5 flower wreaths they bring aboard for the night.

We are planning a pre & post cruise stay and will be hauling the luggage around a bit - so I'm going to try to pack as light as possible for this trip.Whatever you pack, take less.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or tips!

Most importantly, bring a happy, relaxed attitude...you're in the most magical place on earth!

Hi, Joyride,

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can = haven't been to the Caribbean yet, but it is the tropics, so count on a lot of easy breathing fabrics, like cotton. Saw a lot of Hawaiian shirts and sun dresses on board. We lived in shorts and teeshirts on shore.

2. Bring a tee shirt or rash shirt for snorkeling. It takes less than five minutes in the sun to burn - I kid you not. Even with sun screen, you can burn. It's better to protect yourself in the water. Also, if you don't have one, buy an underwtaer disposable camera - you will get some great opporutnities there.

3. Surprisingly enough, I found the formal nights on the TP more formal than anywhere else. Lots of tuxes and gowns.

4. I don't recall any 'special dress up' theme nights on the TP, although that might have changed since our cruise. I did have a mu'u mu'u for the trip and wore that a couple of times. word of advice though, there are no flowers available on the ship. They are easy enough to find in Papeete at Le Marche and will last the cruise.

5. We did both a pre and post cruise stay. Just pack for your cruise and either do a load of laundry on board or have it done for you. They had two specials while we were on board. Everything that you could pack into a provided sack for $15. It was a bargain.

Have a fabulous cruise!

Charlie

We definitely stuck more to cocktail attire on formal nights. It was easier for me to pack shorter dresses than longer ones, and my DH had had plenty of time in his tux on our beautiful August wedding day (the day before we left). There were definitely some people in long gowns and tuxes, but there were also people dressed resort casual like the other nights. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with!

One piece of advice my husband came up with after our trip is that you don't need many "in between clothes," as he calls them. We spent most of our days in swimsuits and some sort of cover-up and then would change for dinner in the evening. What we didn't wear much were things like polos, nicer shorts, etc. that you might usually wear for golfing, picnics, etc.

We have not been to Tahiti yet, leave in a little over a week..Whopeeeee!

Anyhow, if you are flying Air Tahiti Nui ,look at their weight and suitcase size restrictions--they are very strict. You can find it on their web site. If not that airline, check with yours. We are not dong a pre or post cruise, but I know that their restrictions are even worse.

I'm in the process of packing now, so will throw in my 2 cents. I figure swimsuit and coverup is the most important and I am taking 2 suits and 3 coverups. I am taking one pair of nice black slacks and 2 black dressy,flowy type blouses for formal nights. We may only attend one formal night since we are doing a vow renewal for our anniversary. I'm also taking 2 skirts, 4 bouses, one dress and 3 capris--and underwear of course. Also rain phoncho ($2.99), snorkel gear, sunblock, insect repellant, and small size toilitries. Will throw in T-shirt for snorkeling. One paperback book for plane and a couple of small purses. My only problem is shoes---I hope to be able to fit in 2 sandals, 2 flipflops, and a pair of black and one pair white dress shoes (for V. renewal). If this is too much :rolleyes: I will start subtracting regular clothes since their is a laundry on the ship. Some of these clothes I will be wearing. I also have a list for hubby if you are interested.

We have been to the Carribbean twice and I took more than this and wore about half of it. Hope to be able to take just 2 check thrus and 2 carryons with my carrying large purse and husband carrying cameras. I'll let you know how this goes. I did purchase some space bags and I always roll my clothes. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time!!!:D

These are great responses and just what I was looking for. We are also doing a vow renewal and may skip one of the 2 formal nights. I have these really cool flowing type black dressy pants that I will bring with a couple of different tops - that will probably be my formal wear.

I haven't decided what to wear for the vow renewal yet. I need to look for a dress in the next couple of weeks... If I don't find the perfect thing, we may just dress tropical style...

Thanks again for the suggestions, and I think I'm going to look online for rash shirts for snorkeling. It sounds like a good idea!

Thanks again for the suggestions, and I think I'm going to look online for rash shirts for snorkeling. It sounds like a good idea!

We bought some rash shirts as well as some good uv hats from http://www.coolibar.com What we really liked about them is they are not second skin type rash shirts they fit comfortably rather then skin tight.

How "dressed up" were the casual nights? Do most people wear dresses, pants that are just a little less formal than "formal", or do they wear things like cotton docker pants/capris/skirts, with a nice top. Hope this doesn't sound too confusing, but I don't want to be over or under dressed on the casual nights.

Thank you!!

Arewethereyet? - Saw a lot of polo shirts, Dockers, Hawaiian shirts, mu'u mu'us, sun dresses, on casual nights. While formal nights seemed really formal, people relaxed on the other nights and dressed comfortably - didn't see any jeans though.

Charlie

Arewethereyet? - Saw a lot of polo shirts, Dockers, Hawaiian shirts, mu'u mu'us, sun dresses, on casual nights. While formal nights seemed really formal, people relaxed on the other nights and dressed comfortably - didn't see any jeans though.

Charlie

Thank you Spikesgirl, I appreciate your answer. I don't think I will even pack jeans for this part of the world.....too hot don't you think?

What about the specialty restaurants? Are they just as casual or a little more dressy?

Kruizingtoether's husband is so right--what a smart guy. I always take too many " in-betwen clothes" and never wear half of them. Each trip I promise myself I won't do that and then I do! We leave on Aug. 31st for our 47 Anniv. trip on the PG and I AM NOT going to do that. He is right when you usually spend the day in your swim suit and cover-up and then go back and change for dinner. This cruise has no formal nights so I hope I can pack sensibly!

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice on this forum. It is so helpful and I am so excited aobut our cruise!!

Micked10

This is great information!! Now that the thread got going - you guys are really helpful.

We are going in August - does it get cool at all at night? It is supposed to be their winter. I usually do take a wrap or sweatshirt just to deal with the air conditioning on the ship.

I decided to order rash shirts - this is something I think my DH and I will use a lot since we snorkel on every trip (except Alaska!) :)

I have decided to stick pretty much with Capris & different tops for Casual night dinner and swimsuits & coverups and not a lot of "in between" clothes - it really sounds like I won't need them.

Thanks for all of the great advice!

I am perpetually cold and that was never an issue in Tahiti, even after the rain. Temps rarely dropped below 85 when we were there in Jan, even at night. Add that to the nearly constantly high humidity and being cold was more of a luxury than a problem. You might get cool coming back from snorkeling, but take along an extra towel and that helps a lot.

The only time I got chilly on the ship was in the showroom, but a wrap fixed that.

Charlie

P.S. How's the weather for Brentwood today? We're supposed to be cool, but I'll believe it when I see it. We're usually a few hours behind you for weather.

Archived