Fashion Police question number 1

Yes, I'll probably be asking a few more.

Are close-toed pumps worn in the summer for 'casual' evening wear? I've seen responses 'wear what you like, etc.' The problem is, I have a closet-full of black shoes (shh, I don't want my DH to hear me admit I have too many pairs) and I like ALL of them. (I'm the type who sees a pair of shoes on sale, grabs them, 'I'll wear these next time I cruise, go to a wedding, party, etc.) So, I have to narrow it down. I already have shoes picked out for formal nights, and have three other dresses (ALL black and white, LOL) and 2,349 pairs of black shoes, closed and open-toed. Are both types acceptable, or is 'open-toed' the preferred way to go in the summer? (Sailing July 1, AOS.)

I have worn both and felt comfortable and fashionable in both. That being said...I prefer as little shoe as possible. In Alaska I wore traditional pumps with my formal wear in the summer. In the Carib. I have worn strappy sandals in February. My opinion is that either way is fine.

If there isn't snow on the ground then I think open toes are fine. If it is warm enough so your feet won't freeze off (even when you are leaving a late night event) then sandals are fine, IMHO.

Likewise, if you think you'll be hot in closed toe shoes, then wear something with more air flow.

I have never heard a rule that said ONLY open toed shoes and sandals are acceptable in summer. For one thing, boat shoes are closed toed and they are worn in summer. Sneakers are closed toed and they are summer-time shoes.

I live in South Florida and know that you will see very well dressed women in closed-toed shoes all year long. Summer is a great time to wear cute ballet flats.

Archived