17 People robbed on Conquest Jamaica excursion

oakbend

Since this was a Carnival sponsored excursion, then they need to know what happened. You still take an excursion at your own risk, but Carnival can also not do business with the tour guide. Carnival wants everyone to be safe, but on land they cannot guarantee that this will be. Everyone involved needs to write Carnival so they can investigate this to try and make sure it does not happen again.

I am glad no one from the cruise suffered major injuries. I have a cruise on the Conquest in September and do not plan on getting off the ship in MoBay. have been there 2 times already and do not feel safe even in the terminal.

I would bet 100% that Carnival knows. This is at least the 3rd thread just on the Carnival section plus it has been posted on the East Coast Depatures and other cruise threads. How could Carnival be unaware of it. Im sure people on the ship went to the desk to complain as well.

You write it as if the tour guide is responsible for the hold up?? Not from what the newspaper said....but it was a really bad thing of course.

Can happen anywhere, anytime.

Maybe I shouldn't be a tourest near where you live. Heavens, there was a shooting there last week and the victim is critical.

http://www.herald-coaster.com/articles/2007/06/12/news/news03.txt

I disagree with this statment.

When we are in our own home and State we are very aware of where to be and not to be.Some areas are a lot safer than others. Plus you can carry

pepper spray or even a gun!! I don't think we should avoid life but I do think if a person is hearing the places you are planning on going to are not safe than Im not going there. But I'm almost a 58 year old Grandmother and been told more than once I worry to much!!

So for me I won't cruise there or I'll stay on the ship..

Have a great day,

Carla

ps..no I'm not saying everyone should arm themselves!!

Wow...where was the tour guide in all of this?

The OP wrote that people were robbed at GUNPOINT and MACHETTES in Jamaica. I don't think the Tour Guide could of done anything.

To the OP, One gun men was shot and killed that night.

Fred

I realize that Jamaica, is a very poor area that has a high crime rate , but so are a LOT of other places.(the southside of Oklahoma City, for instance)

Carnival doesn't sail to the Southside of Oklahoma City.

Things similar like this happen in your own town. We have home invasions all the time.

At least at home you can better prepare yourself with a few friends like Smith & Wessons and a couple of German Shephards

Fred

:rolleyes: I can definately think of a few other ways to get FREE cruise/excursion compensation than to conjure up a "story" such as this. :rolleyes:

I have sailed into Jamaica 3 times and was lucky to get out of there in one piece, coming from the hood in Brooklyn your awareness levels are hightened from the way of life there where gun shots are heard all the time, more like a war zone and beleive me I had some pretty bad vibes in Jamaica. Would I ever go back, Hell No. I rather take my chances in Brooklyn or the Southside of anywhere in the U.S.

Fred

I realize that Jamaica, is a very poor area that has a high crime rate , but so are a LOT of other places.(the southside of Oklahoma City, for instance)

Wow! Have you been to the Southside of Oklahoma City lately? The true Southside of the city is looking better than the Northside lately. The Southside is building nicer houses and shopping facilities. The Southside is really up and coming. Maybe you should do a drive by. LOL The only part of Oklahoma City I've ever felt unsafe in is downtown by the shelters.

Bottom line is crime happens everywhere. I've been to Jamaica and loved it. I'm sorry this happened to these people, but it could really happen anywhere.

I personally would never travel to Jamaica or go on a cruise that stops there. The violent crime rate there is obscene. They currently have the number three murder rate per capita in the world, behind Columbia and S. Africa, and no, I dont want to go to either of those places.

Yes there are murders in every country but I sure as heck can make educated decisions on where I am likely to be safer, and Jamaica is the worst possible destination in the Caribbean.

I applaud anyone who makes the effort to get the cruise lines to avoid this murder haven for the forseeable future

Look what happened in Costa Rica, one of the safest countries in South America. When the bus got held up by those young thugs. They found that that tourist town had alot less law enforcement and they had to bring in their Army to assist and to clean up the place. They even added more cops to their units.

Anytime Tourist agency threatens to pull out of a vacation site where thier only livelihood is tourism, Im sure they will take drastic measure to get things changed in the right way.

Fred

We were on the Conquest this past week, and these people had gone on an excursion through Carnival. I think Jamaica should be pulled from ports. It is much more dangerous than it was last year. Much more pushy. Several on our cruise were sending in comments to take Jamaica off ports of call. The sad thing is these people really need the money toursim provides, but the danger in the country will effect people visiting.

This is scary. I've never been to Jamaica, and we are already booked on the Conquest for the 2/17/08 sailing. We are treating my in-laws who live right outside of Galveston to this cruise for their 25th wedding anniversary. I hope that something happens to either make the tourist areas more safe or that the port is changed before then. I would never forgive myself if something happened to someone on cruise that I was responsible for booking.

Since this was a Carnival sponsored excursion, then they need to know what happened. You still take an excursion at your own risk, but Carnival can also not do business with the tour guide. Carnival wants everyone to be safe, but on land they cannot guarantee that this will be. Everyone involved needs to write Carnival so they can investigate this to try and make sure it does not happen again.

I am glad no one from the cruise suffered major injuries. I have a cruise on the Conquest in September and do not plan on getting off the ship in MoBay. have been there 2 times already and do not feel safe even in the terminal.

I am sailing with you and I am staying on board with you..LOL

I am calling Carnival first thing in the morning and cancelling our excursions..

Please go to my "Should Carnival pull out of Jamaica Now" thread, its directed to CEO Bob Dickinson, its a Poll Thread and also please write your concerns:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=574345

Fred

Nice idea but do you really think "Bob" is going to listen to the very small percent of cruiser's, that we are? :cool:

I would like to know what place is 100% safe? I have read several reviews about Jamaica. Some are good, some are bad. I feel robbery is everywhere, even in the best of neighborhoods. Jamaica is not the only island that has robbed tourist. It's sad they were robbed and were just trying to have a good time. I have been to Jamaica and will be going back in Dec. I don't think Carnival should stop going to Jamaica.

Nice idea but do you really think "Bob" is going to listen to the very small percent of cruiser's, that we are? :cool:

I guess you don't own a Cruise Critic Polo shirt? When I wear mine onboard and ask questions, as soon as they see the Cruise Critic logo on the shirt, they jump! We are their customers and we are their free advertisements, I know that they do listen and their R&D or Marketing department do read these forums.

Fred

I guess you don't own a Cruise Critic Polo shirt? When I wear mine onboard and ask questions, as soon as they see the Cruise Critic logo on the shirt, they jump! We are their customers and we are their free advertisements, I know that they do listen and their R&D or Marketing department do read these forums.

Fred

I better get one! But I don't want anyone to "jump" for me.

Can't wait to hear how the "I book ship excursions only, because they're safer" people respond.:rolleyes:

No matter where you are, you have to be aware of your surroundings and know that no one can 100% control the environment. We had a nice time in Ocho Rios, knowing full well the "climate" (and I don't mean weather, LOL) that we purposefully almost had ZERO contact with locals whose livings didn't depend on being kind to tourists.

I better get one! But I don't want anyone to "jump" for me.

Example: I went to the Pursers Desk, I was the only one there, they were not busy at all, thats why I went to see them. I asked the Rep if she can get me a copy of the Dining Room menu. She was abit hesitant until she noitced the Cruise Critic T-shirt. She then said wait one minute....In 3 mintues she was out with my copies.

Fred

When I'm in O Rios I walk the streets shopping. Yes the venders and begars are aggressive, but most of the locals are nice. In all situations you have to be cautious. Stay in crowded areas and don't go off the beaten path. Also it helps to be 6-4 and can handle myself in an altercation.

Archived