Grandeur Cruise from Baltimore to New England

It's been a week now since Grandeur made it's first trip to New England/ Canada and have not heard to much about how it went. Anyone out there who can shed a little info on this cruise would be greatly appreciated. Going on the Sept 21 cruise.

It's been a week now since Grandeur made it's first trip to New England/ Canada and have not heard to much about how it went. Anyone out there who can shed a little info on this cruise would be greatly appreciated. Going on the Sept 21 cruise.

Hi, somewhat new to searching the threads on cruise critic, but I've gone to "Royal Caribbean Roll Call" then to "Grandeur of the Seas". You'll see dates of June 1st sailing. They had very cold and rainy weather so there's not much info on excursions, but lots of info re: ship.

If you're looking for excursion info, go to "Canada" (living in Halifax) and "New England" (Portland) boards, lots of info on excursions, free transportation, restaurants, etc.

Hope this helps.

I am not much of a "reviewer", but I was on this cruise. My wife, 13 year old son and I had a great time. The people on this cruise were much older than I have ever experienced. I am 49. There were kids and families, but the % of passengers over 60 seemed to be about half to 2/3. That was certainly not a problem for us, but we did notice it. The only group we know of was former Pan American Airlines employees.

The ship is smaller than today's new ships. The "bells and whistles" are not there, but it is still a fine ship that is in good shape. I prefer this size ship because it has all of the activities I am looking for and I prefer about 2,000 people, rather than 3,500+, especially when getting on or off the ship. The ship shows little wear, despite the fact that it is over 10 years old. The large amount of glass means great views from almost anywhere on the ship. Service was excellent in the dining room and the food was very good. The Windjammer was typical and the hamburgers, pizza, etc were very good.

The weather was good and bad, but did not hamper our good time. Portland was cool and overcast, but it did not rain. Bar Harbor was the only really bad day weatherwise. It rained and was windy. Too bad it was our only tendered port and tenders were stopped just after lunch. Temperatures were in the 60's both days. Windbreaker and rain jacket days for me.

Halifax was a clear day with temps near 70. Boston was another beautiful day in the low 70's. St. John was foggy with temps in the 60's, which I think is normal there.

On our sea days, it did seem we were always sailing into the wind, resulting in wind across the deck of 30+ mph. About half the time, it was foggy and too cold to be comfortable on deck. The other half of the time it was nice. Overall, our weather was not great, but not terrible either.

These ports are all good ones. They offer excellent shopping, beautiful scenery, rich history and activities such as sea kayaking, hiking and carriage rides. I think anyone could find activities to fit their lifestyle. I highly recommend this itinerary and ship.

I am not much of a "reviewer", but I was on this cruise. My wife, 13 year old son and I had a great time. The people on this cruise were much older than I have ever experienced. I am 49. There were kids and families, but the % of passengers over 60 seemed to be about half to 2/3. That was certainly not a problem for us, but we did notice it. The only group we know of was former Pan American Airlines employees.

The ship is smaller than today's new ships. The "bells and whistles" are not there, but it is still a fine ship that is in good shape. I prefer this size ship because it has all of the activities I am looking for and I prefer about 2,000 people, rather than 3,500+, especially when getting on or off the ship. The ship shows little wear, despite the fact that it is over 10 years old. The large amount of glass means great views from almost anywhere on the ship. Service was excellent in the dining room and the food was very good. The Windjammer was typical and the hamburgers, pizza, etc were very good.

The weather was good and bad, but did not hamper our good time. Portland was cool and overcast, but it did not rain. Bar Harbor was the only really bad day weatherwise. It rained and was windy. Too bad it was our only tendered port and tenders were stopped just after lunch. Temperatures were in the 60's both days. Windbreaker and rain jacket days for me.

Halifax was a clear day with temps near 70. Boston was another beautiful day in the low 70's. St. John was foggy with temps in the 60's, which I think is normal there.

On our sea days, it did seem we were always sailing into the wind, resulting in wind across the deck of 30+ mph. About half the time, it was foggy and too cold to be comfortable on deck. The other half of the time it was nice. Overall, our weather was not great, but not terrible either.

These ports are all good ones. They offer excellent shopping, beautiful scenery, rich history and activities such as sea kayaking, hiking and carriage rides. I think anyone could find activities to fit their lifestyle. I highly recommend this itinerary and ship.

Thanks alot..........I'm on the same cruise with Jerry on September 21st and this is a good review.

Any suggestions for any of the ports? Great to hear what the weather "might" be as well..........a little bit cooler for this time of year than what I expected but it is good to know.

Also, thanks for your review.

Would also appreciate your suggestions for restaurants at ports.

gamecockvic: Thansks for the review - we leave next Thursday for Baltimore and board next Friday. We (self, dh, ds14 & dd10) are all looking forward to the cruise. I am glad the weather didn't put too much of a damper on things.

Sorry, but we have not eaten at any restaurants at these ports except in Boston. We did eat at a Legal Seafood near the harbor, but would rate it only average.

We booked a tour of Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor through the cruise line. We included a carriage ride which was great. In Halifax, I would recommend getting a taxi and going to Peggy's Cove. St. John has a City Market and shopping area near the pier. There is also the Reversing Falls, where the tide causes the river to flow inland at times. It is a very short cab ride from town. Portland has LL Bean nearby as well as Kennebunkport. Boston has a wealth of history that is easily seen by trolley. There are several trolley companies so shop around for the best deal. Most allow you to get off and catch the next trolley. Quincy Market is a good shopping area.

All of these stops have sea kayaking and hiking for those who want some exercise. Several have "duck tours" on buses that actually go into the harbor. There are whale watching tours from Bar Harbor.

As for the weather, it may be hot in Boston and Maine. Bar Harbor was in the high 80's our last trip there. Take shorts, long pants, a light coat and a raincoat of some type (You can buy what you don't bring at the shopping village near LL Bean or at the LL Bean outlet store in downtown Portland. I bought a sweatshirt last time that came in handy!).

You will have a great time!

Sorry, but we have not eaten at any restaurants at these ports except in Boston. We did eat at a Legal Seafood near the harbor, but would rate it only average.

We booked a tour of Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor through the cruise line. We included a carriage ride which was great. In Halifax, I would recommend getting a taxi and going to Peggy's Cove. St. John has a City Market and shopping area near the pier. There is also the Reversing Falls, where the tide causes the river to flow inland at times. It is a very short cab ride from town. Portland has LL Bean nearby as well as Kennebunkport. Boston has a wealth of history that is easily seen by trolley. There are several trolley companies so shop around for the best deal. Most allow you to get off and catch the next trolley. Quincy Market is a good shopping area.

All of these stops have sea kayaking and hiking for those who want some exercise. Several have "duck tours" on buses that actually go into the harbor. There are whale watching tours from Bar Harbor.

As for the weather, it may be hot in Boston and Maine. Bar Harbor was in the high 80's our last trip there. Take shorts, long pants, a light coat and a raincoat of some type (You can buy what you don't bring at the shopping village near LL Bean or at the LL Bean outlet store in downtown Portland. I bought a sweatshirt last time that came in handy!).

You will have a great time!

Thank you....and will definitely take your advise on clothing to bring. Looking forward to a great cruise.. glad that the weather was better for you than what I had heard. Actually, looking forward to a bit of cooler weather.

Not important but wondering if you remember what time you cleared the Cheasapeke Bridge/Tunnel complex........

It was midnight on the way out and near 11 PM on the return. Our 6/1 sailing was hampered by the weather, and we did post on the roll calls, but would be glad to help with any questions. I will do this cruise again on Jewel or Explorer ASAP. LOVED the ports!! :D

The Chessapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel complex seems to run against Grandeur's schedule. Leavin' Baltimore, it is late in to the night when you get there (Are we correct here, Linda?). In the morning return, you have a small shot to be awake at that time. Hey, depending on how bad you wanna sea it (it's one of the world's great wonders, or at least one of Maryland's), get a wake up call and snap some pic's. If you do get some nice photos, please post here. Thanks!

Rick and Deirdra

Hey Rick and Deirdra!

Yep, what I recall from our Grandeur sailing is it took about 8 hours (4 p.m. to midnight) to get from Baltimore to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. DH and I sat on our aft balcony and when we arrived at the tunnel, we could see car headlights on both sides, entering the tunnel and disappearing into the darkness as we sailed over.

It was midnight on the way out and near 11 PM on the return. Our 6/1 sailing was hampered by the weather, and we did post on the roll calls, but would be glad to help with any questions. I will do this cruise again on Jewel or Explorer ASAP. LOVED the ports!! :D

Thanks...........we have a center aft jr. suite balcony so we are going to try and stay up and experience that..........I appreicate the info.........

natmar:

i am doing this trip in aug with my 9 and 14 year old sons, and husband. if u can get any kids club info or schedules and write about it when u get back, i would appreciate it! my kids usually love the kids clubs...

thanks!

karen:)

Not important but wondering if you remember what time you cleared the Cheasapeke Bridge/Tunnel complex........

It was almost 1:00 AM when we cleared the tunnel portion. It was worth staying up for. Coming back, we actually beat the Captain's estimate, so watch out for that.

Archived