All Things Enchantment of the Seas

Beth, I guess it depends on how many other kids you feel would need to be there for your children to have fun. I was on EOS in November 2005; my son was 13, my daughter turning 16 on the cruise and the friend she got to bring along as her "present" was still 15. My son spent a lot of time at the arcade games up near the teen center (beware of those, they cost a fortune and even though his SeaPass was backed up with cash - not our credit card - they still allowed him to go over his limit by $40) and he said there was usually a group of 5 or 6 kids his age up there. The girls didn't find very many teens their age either, but thankfully they had each other to hang with, so it was fun. They said there were maybe 10 kids up near the teen center and most of them in the 10 to 12 year old range. But, I was a "bad cruiser" and took them into the Viking Crown Lounge fairly late and let them dance. I cannot say I recall a lot of small children, but I do remember some in the younger set.

I think with your children being younger, you might find more playmates on a cruise at that time of year.

I hope you feel able to take them to AO and have some "couple time"; but if it turns out you don't, then look at it as an excuse to cruise again and leave the kiddies with granny! We're set to go on Enchantment again November of 2008 with 4 other couples - no kids allowed!

Gina - Are you kidding me?? They really did that to kids who took family vacations?? WOW!!! :eek: Shoot....they would HATE me! LOL I take my daughter out once in the fall usually every year, and sometimes once again in the spring. She makes up the work no problem, and gets all A's and B's. I can't believe schools really do that to families that want to vacation together!!!!

Hey Dell - You picked a great ship! Enchantment is beautiful, you will love her! :)

Christie,

No kidding. To the best of my knowledge that is still the current policy in the entire county - Miami-Dade as it is now called. I never would have done it as a habit, but occassionally I've wanted to take my kids out one day early before Spring Break. After all they aren't doing anything then anyway but since it was forbidden, I didn't do it. I have done it in the private school though. I've actually taken my daughter out of school twice for a cruise in recent years. She missed a Friday and was back in school before 10am on Monday on our way home from the cruise port. She did her work and survived the absence.

Gina

Hi Mamabean, I notice you have cruised Carnival and RCL. I have only cruised Carnival. Can you tell me the major differences you have noticed?

Dell,

The only Carnival ships I've been on are the older Fantasy and Fascination. There is no comparison. Those ships are old, worn, have odd decor, feel like you are in the middle of a submarine and smell like it by the elevators/stairway area. The layout of the ship is bad and takes 3 or 4 days to figure out. But they still lived up to their names of being "fun ships". That I can say. I enjoyed the people I was with and that I met. That's the important part. The crew wasn't quite as friendly in general, although most were and one in particular was TOO friendly. The photography service is better on Carnival although it costs more to buy your portraits, too.

The cabins are FAR superior even on the smaller RCI ships with smaller cabins. There is minimal storage on the old Carnival ships in anything but the suites. On RCI you have great storage capacity even in the tiniest cabins on Majesty of the Seas and other ships in that class.

Enchantment has great cabins even in the interior cabins. My daughters have been in them and women will have no trouble sharing the space and storing all their stuff.

I still think the food is comparable on both ships. I used to think the pizza was better on Carnival. I've changed my mind about that. It might depend on whether or not you get it hot. The gala buffet is FAR better on RCI since it's really done with all food. It seemed a lot of the stuff on carnival was fake and just brought out over and over again as decoration.

I'd cruise either depending on who I was going with. If someone is willing to pay, I prefer RCI. If they want to go the cheapest way possible, I'll go Carnival just because. I haven't had a bad cruise on either. But I strongly prefer RCI.

Gina

Gina - Are you kidding me?? They really did that to kids who took family vacations?? WOW!!! :eek: Shoot....they would HATE me! LOL I take my daughter out once in the fall usually every year, and sometimes once again in the spring. She makes up the work no problem, and gets all A's and B's. I can't believe schools really do that to families that want to vacation together!!!!

I think our son got an "A"...ONCE! It turned out to be a mistake. Of course he takes after me, or so my DW says! :confused:

This is a photo of his "A"...what a smart kid!:rolleyes:

menu1.gif

BILL

Thanks Mambean!! Thanks for all of the information. I have been on the nicer Carnival ships and the smaller ones. What I like most about Carnival is that I always meet up with people who like to party. Like you said, I guess that is why it is called the fun ship. I hope to find the same on RCL. Me and my friend are looking for sun and fun. We will rest when we return:D

I have been looking at your pictures on your website. The ship looks beautiful. Do they automatically charge your "sail and sign card", not sure what they call it on RCL, for gratuties? Do I need to carry cash with me? Any particular drinks you perfer? Sorry for all the questions, I am just so excited:)

Well....in our school district the children of bad parents were punished. :eek: If they went on vacation they were not permitted to make up the work and were given big fat ZEROS on all assigments.

Oh yuck. My district allows 5 days for vacation per year. I don't particularly feel comfortable taking them out longer than that anyway. We're only missing 3-1/2 days for this cruise. And my son's in first grade. It shouldn't be too much of a problem. Thanks for the remarks on the other kids too.

Beth, I guess it depends on how many other kids you feel would need to be there for your children to have fun........

I think with your children being younger, you might find more playmates on a cruise at that time of year........

I hope you feel able to take them to AO and have some "couple time"; but if it turns out you don't, then look at it as an excuse to cruise again and leave the kiddies with granny!

I don't expect a lot, just enough for them to hang out with. If there's 10 kids, I'm sure it would be fine. We'll just live with it, however it works out. And we're already working on our next adults only vacation for January. So no worries there. :D

Thanks Mambean!! Thanks for all of the information. I have been on the nicer Carnival ships and the smaller ones. What I like most about Carnival is that I always meet up with people who like to party. Like you said, I guess that is why it is called the fun ship. I hope to find the same on RCL. Me and my friend are looking for sun and fun. We will rest when we return:D

I have been looking at your pictures on your website. The ship looks beautiful. Do they automatically charge your "sail and sign card", not sure what they call it on RCL, for gratuties? Do I need to carry cash with me? Any particular drinks you perfer? Sorry for all the questions, I am just so excited:)

Your card is your "seapass" on RCI. You are given the option of prepaying your gratuities or using your own cash to pay them. At any time during your cruise, if you want to prepay, you can just go to guest relations/the pursers desk and ask them to add them to your charges. Of course you can just call RCI now and prepay if you would like to. They give you more options in that regard than Carnival does. I prefer to give cash. If someone has treated you special and you prepaid, by all means give them extra cash in addition the coupon you will be given to put in the tip envelop in the end.

Carnival didn't even hand out envelopes or coupons to give out since they require prepayment. I had to go get some envelopes from a room steward I found out in the hall so that I could give extra cash to those I wanted to tip extra on Carnival.

Gina

Dell,

The only Carnival ships I've been on are the older Fantasy and Fascination. There is no comparison. Those ships are old, worn, have odd decor, feel like you are in the middle of a submarine and smell like it by the elevators/stairway area. The layout of the ship is bad and takes 3 or 4 days to figure out.

AMEN TO THAT! I've been on one old Carnival ship, and one brand spanking new one (at the time). ODD DECOR INDEED! What is up with that? I mean hey, to each his own, but it is horrid decor. RCI is very VERY nice & sophisticated, and just a generally 'nicer' aura on the ships. It doesn't feel like you're in the middle of bad Las Vegas B-movie filming like you do with Carnival.

By the way this is IMHO.

I think our son got an "A"...ONCE! It turned out to be a mistake. Of course he takes after me, or so my DW says! :confused:

LOL Bill!!! :D

Totally enjoyed the cruise but no refrigerator in OV 4554, just sodas and water on the counter.

Thanks, dream2be. That's what I thought because one isn't listed in the description, and all the pics show pop on the counter. I'll find a little cooler or something to keep drinks on ice -- the ice in those plastic ice buckets melts fast.

What I like most about Carnival is that I always meet up with people who like to party. Like you said, I guess that is why it is called the fun ship. I hope to find the same on RCL. Me and my friend are looking for sun and fun. We will rest when we return:D

Do I need to carry cash with me? Any particular drinks you perfer? Sorry for all the questions, I am just so excited:)

Its your choice with RCI...you can find "party ppl" if you want or you can just kick back and relax. I've found both and enjoyed both when I've gone. I (like you said) prefer to live it up while I'm there and rest when I get back home. Sea days, however, can be relaxing to kick back on the deck with a book and recover from the night before LOL.:D

I think cash can make a difference. Everyone likes to see some green LOL. If you like fruity drinks, I think Mango Tango's have it hands down especially on hot days!

Can't wait to go back in October! I'm joining the Enchantment fan club! Its a great ship! Enjoy your trip!

Its your choice with RCI...you can find "party ppl" if you want or you can just kick back and relax. I've found both and enjoyed both when I've gone. I (like you said) prefer to live it up while I'm there and rest when I get back home. Sea days, however, can be relaxing to kick back on the deck with a book and recover from the night before LOL.:D

I think cash can make a difference. Everyone likes to see some green LOL. If you like fruity drinks, I think Mango Tango's have it hands down especially on hot days!

Can't wait to go back in October! I'm joining the Enchantment fan club! Its a great ship! Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the information! I will certainly make sure we have cash, cash, cash. Mango Tango, sounds delightful. I am very excited to see and experience this ship. Thanks!!:p

Thought I'd join in. I've been on EOS twice, once before the stretch and once after. She's just awesome and can't wait, as we leave on her agian on the 10th of Sept. I've cruised on many ships and she is my favorite by far. The staff is wonderful!!!

On the topic of drinks, has anyone mentioned the Mojitos in Boleros?? A must have!!

Happy Sailing!

T

I will be cruising on the Enchantment in January so I am going to follow this thread. I have done the big ships, and the small ships and hope to find the EOS just right. It will be our first cruise for our nephew (graduation present from us) so I hope everything is perfect for him. I would love to see another family member addicted like I am.

My DW and I share that sentiment. We sailed on Enchantment before it was stretched and absolutely loved it. Whenever we plan a cruise we first check out its itinerary. I wish she was still sailing 7 night cruises:(

In New Jersey the first week of November public school students only have 2 days of school, since teacher's convention is always that week. So many families go away that week the airfares are sky high and a friend who works at Disney World told me they call it "jersey week" :) Hopefully some of the kids will be on your cruise. Kids or no kids I'm sure they'll have a blast!

I love the Bahama Mama...one of the specials of the day on Enchantment. For the person inquiring about 7 day cruises...Enchantment will be going down to the Canal and cruising her next year in the winter late fall and early spring months...the cruises will be seven days long...but she will return to Lauderdale and do five/four days in the summer. Navigator will be moving to Lauderdale to take her place while she is in Panama. I don't know what ship will replace Navigator when she moves from Port Canaveral.