Montego Bay - to stay on or get off?

sas80

Ugh! Now we read a report that 17 tourists got held up at gunpoint!

We are cruising in august and are rethinking our decision to get off the ship.

We have an excursion booked with "A-Z Planners" but are rethinking it.

We are going to have our 10 month old with us and could not bear it if we got into any type of a situation while he was with us.

What is your opinion/experience?

When you stopped in Montego Bay did you get off the ship?

We, my husband, 2 sons (16 &12) and I, were there in December, it was our least favorite port.

We just got off the ship hired a taxi (nice guy) and went into town to shop a little. My oldest son is a Bob Marley fan and he wanted to get some souvenirs and I wanted to get Blue Mountain Coffee and Rum Cream. The vendors can be very aggressive in trying to get your business. I was pretty stressed out by the time we left.

My inlaws went on a scenic tour (no shopping) and had a nice time.

My sister-in-law and her husband went into town to shop and were repeatedly asked if they wanted to buy drugs.

Later that day, back on the ship I heard a lot of cruisers talking about the aggressive vendors and people approaching them to buy drugs. I also heard people say they enjoyed the port shopping. Our neighbors on the ship went to an all inclusive resort for the day and had a wonderful time.

I hope this helps.:)

Im not so worried about aggrerssive vendors or drug pushers.

You tell the pushers "no thank you, I dont do drugs" and (as I recall) they will back off.

It's the people who want to rob you at gunpoint that I am concerned about.

We do have an excursion planned and I am wondering if that will be okay to do....

Hi. we went to Montego Bay on Easter 2007. We are planning on going back on July 22, 2007 aboard the Rhapsody :)..We went to Sunset Beach and had a wonderful time. We did not go into town and only got in the Taxi (inside) the cruise terminal gate and took the taxi back (inside) the gate at Sunset Beach so we felt very safe. Sunset Beach has a nice video of their resort on http://www.sunsetbeachresorts.com We are so glad that we did that instead of going into town. Sunset Beach here we come :) :)

We went to Mobay with little kids this past spring. We hired a private driver but it was like touring a bad neighborhood in a big city. If we went again, I would get off, buy the kids some crap in the pier shops and get right back on the ship and enjoy the uncrowded vessel. It did not feel safe at all to me.

I'm cruisin' in January 2008 and there's a stop in Jamaica. I've never been to this island which is one of the reasons I've booked this cruise. I've also never been to Key West . . . anyway, if the grandparents decide to book this cruise with us, we'll have them babysit onboard while we take an excursion. If not, then we'll head to a beach if the shopping isn't safe. I've felt very unsafe is several parts of the world, but I have been lucky. Now that I'm a mother to an infant son, my perspective has changed. I don't want to put him in harm's way, but I do want to see Jamaica. Are there any excursions that leave by boat from the pier? I suppose that's an option. That way you avoid town all together.

We took a tour from MoBay two years ago with our three kids, then 14, 9 and 5. We didn't have any problems with being offered drugs or running into pushy vendors - we were prepared to deal with that, but fortunately didn't have to - but we weren't prepared for just how bad the roads are in Jamaica. Bad paving, lots of twists and turns, high speeds - well, the younger two became sick on the tour. In all our travels (trains, planes, ships, buses, cars), this was the only time they ever suffered motion sickness.

I KNOW I have talked about this here and on a previous post of yours before (talking about shore excursions) but I STAYED on the ship in Mo Bay for the first time EVER on a cruise. I read too many US Travel warnings before I left.

If it had been just me and my husband with no kids, then I would have gotten off. But since it's just not me and I have 2 little girls to worry about, I stayed on.

We had an AWESOME day onboard. The ship (Freedom of the Seas) had so much to do and it was so quiet without anyone around. It was paradise and I didn't feel the need to get off.

And I couldn't see spending money for the Sunset hotel when Freedom had this....and these picture WERE taken on the Mo Bay day..

600791-R1-13-56A_014.jpg

And my kids had THIS...

IMG_0724.jpg

Why in the world would I get off and deal with Mo Bay? lol ;) Oh and just to add, we DID get off to get some sunscreen. The locals were yelling us at through the window slats of the portside shopping building (they weren't allowed inside)...so they kept yelling at us. Oh yeah, that was all I needed to see...right back on the ship...lol. :D

And I have been to MANY ports and have never seen locals as aggresive. No thanks.

Archived