Deck Chair Hogs

On my last trip on the Navigator the pool staff was out in full force and it was quite amusing. My sister and I got out to the pool early. We watched several people come and put things down and leave, but one man went down a whole row putting books, towels, anything else available and then he disappeared. He came back hours later, after the pool crew came by and swept up all the people-less chairs, and the look on his face was priceless. He stormed off to get someone and came back with the guy demanding that he find him new seats since he took the ones he had.

I understand people going to the pool or using the bathroom but my pet peeve is when large groups send one person out to save 20 or 30 chairs and they all remain empty for large portions of the day.

IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM JOIN THEM! I NOW AM PART OF THE CHAIR HOG CLUB. I RESERVE MY POOL CHAIR AT 9AM.

GOT TIRED OF CRUISE AFTER CRUISE GOING TO THE POOL AT SAY NOON AND ALL CHAIRS ARE SPOKEN FOR. HALF OF THE CHAIRS THERE IS NOBODY LAYING ON IT JUST EMPTY CHAIRS WITH PERSONAL STUFF ON IT TO SHOW IT IS RESERVED. ONE CRUISE I HAD TO LAY ON THE FLOOR WITH MY TOWEL :eek:

NOW THAT I AM A POOL CHAIR HOG I GET THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE :)

I agree with you 100%. Every morning, we are up early and we watch someone come up and put towels or t-shirts or something on all the chairs that are right there by the edge of the pool. After watching this and never getting a chair and having to put our stuff on the pool deck and out stuff always ended up getting wet, we have no choice but to do the same thing. BUT I will say, we have always cruised with a group and have only saved 3 or 4 chairs instead of the 15 or 18 that are with us. We are never all laying there at the same time so we just keep rotating in and out of the chairs from the pool to the bar and back to the chairs again.

we like to enjoy our morning coffee on deck EARLY... part of the entertainment is to watch the people come down to save chairs for hours on end...

I have never moved someone's stuff, but I am more than happy to let chair hunters know which chairs have been saved for hours... then that person can ask staff to move stuff...

I've seen people make idiots of themselves by placing their stuff on a chair, leaving for a few hours, and then returning only to find that they don't really remember where they parked their stuff in the first place...

What do these people think. Are they special. Do they really think it is fair to come out at 7am and save 10 seats that they don't plan on using until around 10am or noon. I have no problem with a husband saving one seat while his wife gets her act together. But to save 10 chairs for your entire family while they pig out at the breakfast buffet is just plain wrong. We usually get our seats and inform our kids that if they leave we won't save their seats. They will usually stop by throughout the day and sit at the end of our seats or hit the pool...then they are off again. We gladly give up our kids seats if they are running around.

I'd move peoples stuff, I may even read their magazines. Just say "I thought the crew put these magazines on the chairs for my reading pleasure" :rolleyes:

I don't plan on upsetting anyone on vacation, but I shouldn't have to be bothered by chair searching when there are plenty of unused chairs. I also don't have a problem sitting back away from the pool, even those chairs aren't safe anymore.:eek:

My next cruise I think I'll sit up top and film the sharades. Get up about 7am stand up top and film the chair hogs placing towels, books etc., on chairs. Then post the antics on this site. What fun.... Nah.. I need a vacation.

But someone needs to film it and put it on this site. Then send it to RCCL or appropriate cruiseline. :rolleyes:

IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM JOIN THEM! I NOW AM PART OF THE CHAIR HOG CLUB. I RESERVE MY POOL CHAIR AT 9AM.

GOT TIRED OF CRUISE AFTER CRUISE GOING TO THE POOL AT SAY NOON AND ALL CHAIRS ARE SPOKEN FOR. HALF OF THE CHAIRS THERE IS NOBODY LAYING ON IT JUST EMPTY CHAIRS WITH PERSONAL STUFF ON IT TO SHOW IT IS RESERVED. ONE CRUISE I HAD TO LAY ON THE FLOOR WITH MY TOWEL :eek:

NOW THAT I AM A POOL CHAIR HOG I GET THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE :)

No need to yell, we hear ya. Now, take your stuff off that pool chair and click that caps lock off and all will be good:p

On one of my cruises, I watched a family spend over 30 mins. looking for empty lounges. In desperation, the father finally took stuff off a few saved lounges and then moved the lounges to a different location. Moving them solved the problem of a possible confrontation because when the chair hogs returned, there was no way to figure out where "their" chairs went. After watching those chairs sit empty but saved for over 2 hours, I sure wasn't going to tell the chair hogs what happened. :)

On my last trip on the Navigator the pool staff was out in full force and it was quite amusing. My sister and I got out to the pool early. We watched several people come and put things down and leave, but one man went down a whole row putting books, towels, anything else available and then he disappeared. He came back hours later, after the pool crew came by and swept up all the people-less chairs, and the look on his face was priceless. He stormed off to get someone and came back with the guy demanding that he find him new seats since he took the ones he had.

We just returned from the FOS. We had 2 chairs with our things on them 3 rows off the pool but still in the sun at the Solarium/Adults only pool. we would swim for 10-20 minutes then return to dry and repeat. We were sitting and talking to a lady next to us when we heard a commotion with the "Deck Patrol." A fussing lady and her embarassed husband were having it out over where their belongings were. The patrol was telling her that the items were removed from the chairs to let people who would actually be using the chairs have s place to sit. She just kept repeating "we were coming back, we had only been gone awhile." The patrol informed her that the belongingd hadbeen there for three hours at peak time with no one going near them. She finally gave up arguing and demanded to have her things back. I'm sure she gave a lousy report to whoever would listen, but the deck patrol kept everyone in line- including the kids who were tring to sneak into the Solarium jacuzzis. We love the Deck Patrol.

I've never had the nerve to move their crapola myself, but if I really wanted to sit in the pool area, I'd get the staff to do the dirty work, no question. :)

On my last cruise I went out to the pool at mid-day to watch a friend participate in one of their contests. With no free chairs available (naturally), I perched on the edge of a long-abandoned chair and watched the show for a good 30-45 minutes. The Chair-Hog then came back and curtly informed me I was sitting on "her" chair. Had I not decided about 3 seconds earlier to head inside, I might not have moved so kindly (and quietly).

We thought we were going to witness a smackdown on our last cruise.

Our usual routine is to get up on deck around 7 with some coffee, watch the chair hogs claim their chairs... then to breakfast, back to the cabin to grab our stuff and then we're back at the pool to claim our chairs and enjoy the morning by the pool... We're usually down at the pool by 9 where we then proceed to watch as chairs are quickly taken and saved...

So one morning we're sitting around the solarium after breakfast, just getting ready to settle into our morning naps when we hear two women shouting at each other... everyone in the solarium could hear them and all of us were watching to see what would happen....

Seems the older lady was accusing the other lady of stealing her chair... She claimed she had come down at 7:30 that morning to save her chair and now someone had moved her stuff and taken her chair... She had indeed come down that early because we saw her... at this point it's going on about 10 am when she has now finally returned to reclaim her chair...

So the two "ladies" are going at it over this chair and finally someone else comes up to the older lady, points across the pool to a couple chairs with stuff on it, and asks the older lady if that is her stuff... The lady looks, it is her stuff, she grabs it and leaves...

Even as it was pointed out to this woman that chair saving is not allowed, she still didn't get it and just kept insistin that it was her chair and she had saved by putting her stuff there while she had breakfast (for 2+ hours mind you)...

For the ice show, we once saw a woman saving seats and when another couple sat down in the seats she said, "excuse me, but I was saving those seats for someone else"... the man said, "yeah, me, thanks"... when she went to get a staff member and brought him back, there was some discussion which we didn't hear but then the staff member said, rather loudly, "but we don't allow seat saving... I'll be happy to find you and your family seats together when they arrive".... she said something I can't repeat here and stormed off...

I think chair hogs are really just bullies whose mommies didn't love them enough.... next time you see one, just give them a big hug;)

It never crossed my mind that when people left belongings on pool chairs, they intended to come back for them. I just assumed everybody followed the rules and that they were not "reserving" chairs, but simply were leaving out items they no longer wanted in case someone else wanted them. I always bring an extra suitcase with me when I cruise and have filled it up with items people left on the chairs by the pool and then I donate them to the homeless in the port of disembowelkation. Makes for a great tax deduction!

Could you please explain the tax deduction part to me. I was under the impression that you could only get a tax deduction for items you have purchased yourself with the original purchase price serving as a starting point for the basis of the tax deduction. Since you have merely "borrowed" these items your "cost basis" would seem to be zero so a tax deduction does not seem possible.....:rolleyes:

Unless of course you meant that since you are doing charitable work you can deduct your cost of transportation to do the charitable work which means you can deduct the price of the cruise.....:eek:

I'd move peoples stuff, I may even read their magazines. Just say "I thought the crew put these magazines on the chairs for my reading pleasure" :rolleyes:

I don't plan on upsetting anyone on vacation, but I shouldn't have to be bothered by chair searching when there are plenty of unused chairs. I also don't have a problem sitting back away from the pool, even those chairs aren't safe anymore.:eek:

Best deck patrol I've seen so far was on our Mariner cruise cruzin'. Remember the deck patrol gal on the solarium deck that was bigger than the two of us together. She really didn't get much argument when she moved things.

On a recent cruise, I was seriously peeved when there were rows of seats with towels on them in the Solarium!! So I said in a loud voice that I am not putting up with this and am calling security as my elderly mother would like to sit down. Everyone 'got busy' and two loungers miraculously became vacant:D :eek:

It was probably two polite people that saw you needed the chairs so they gave theirs up. They probably didn't come from the chair hoggers.

I dislike chair hogs as much as everyone else, but another thing I hate is why can't people REMOVE their towels when they are done at the pool instead of leaving them behind - all wet and disheveled on the chair? You still can't tell if it is someone's chair who is in the pool or something. Is it that hard to pick up a wet used towel and throw it in a bin?

Empress May 02

Enchantment Apr 03

Sovereign Apr 04

Explorer June 05

Majesty Apr 08

:o When we cruised on the Brilliance back in April, I had my pool chair hog arguements all ready. I was armed and dangerous, ready to use the Pool Deck authorities to bounce anybody's stuff out of any unused chair.

For 10 days, 10 days!!!!!!m I waited.

However, my wife and I never had a problem finding a chair! ;) I had no one to argue with!!!!!! Bummer, we got to sit by the pool, in the sun or shade, whenever we wanted. It just ruined our cruise.

Next cruise, you just wait!!!! :D

The only reason I would not remove people's things from a chair is that with my luck, the person's things I removed would have arrived 5 minutes ago and be swimming in the pool to cool off. Which is a good reason to leave a chair.

Also, when we travel, my wife doesn't even try to save a chair for me since she knows I like to wander too much. When I decide to sit and read, were able to find two chairs together at that time.

I believe chair hogs exist, we were just lucky enough to be one cruise were they were not a nusiance to us.

Dolby1000

Dave

Best deck patrol I've seen so far was on our Mariner cruise cruzin'. Remember the deck patrol gal on the solarium deck that was bigger than the two of us together. She really didn't get much argument when she moved things.

If I remember correctly it was our Last Mariner cruise. Was it a really big black girl, I want to say from Jamica or Carribean? She was very kind and accomodating. But leave your seat for over 45 minutes and she bounced on your belongings to make room for people who really wanted to utilize the pool area.:eek:

Dude, I didn't realize that was you....

How's the dance lessons...we know your better half doesn't need them.

We are still looking into the April cruise. We're going with Mercedes brother June 30 to July 7 on Mariner. Counting down the days. Mercedes is also looking into an October Cruise for my BD.

Keep in contact...Love to cruise with you again.

Keep looking up....The Air Force has your Back...well your head anyway.

see ya..

It was probably two polite people that saw you needed the chairs so they gave theirs up. They probably didn't come from the chair hoggers.

No, unfortunately not:eek: Apparently they were 'friends' of the chairhoggers!! Their friends wouldn't mind us using them, I was assured. Since someone else said they hadn't appeared all morning, I was inclined to believe they wouldn't mind:D We were there for a couple of hours and they never turned up!!

On a Jewel cruise, a group of eight all had their loungers, but spent most of the day playing cards using the chairs and tables by the creperie!! This included lunchtime, which inconvenienced those wishing to eat and blocking those wishing to sit by the pool:eek:

I believe it is up to the staff to enforce the rule. Apparently, a Celebrity ship puts yellow stickers with the time on empty chairs and after a half hour, removes the belongings! Sounds good to me:D!!

Dolby, Man, I can only imagine your pain. I have our whole group of 7 psyched up for messin' with the chair hogs! Can't wait to take books and stuff to the bar and tell them they were abandoned by the owners. Getting excited already and still have four weeks to wait!

If I remember correctly it was our Last Mariner cruise. Was it a really big black girl, I want to say from Jamica or Carribean? She was very kind and accomodating. But leave your seat for over 45 minutes and she bounced on your belongings to make room for people who really wanted to utilize the pool area.:eek:

Yep, to maintain sort of on topic, that was her, she sort of had a look about her too, like she was sizing you up for dinner, couldn't really tell if she was listening to what you were saying, or wondering if you'd sizzle while she cooked you. She had no problem with picking up chair hog stuff though, single minded about that, and no one argued with her.

Dude, I didn't realize that was you....

How's the dance lessons...we know your better half doesn't need them.

We are still looking into the April cruise. We're going with Mercedes brother June 30 to July 7 on Mariner. Counting down the days. Mercedes is also looking into an October Cruise for my BD.

Keep in contact...Love to cruise with you again.

Keep looking up....The Air Force has your Back...well your head anyway.

see ya..

Cool, we're booked on Grandeur for this October, next April and then next October. Love to hook up with you two again, and I may be coming through Hotlanta this Summer on the way to visit my Mom again, so I'll be calling if I get through there. Later brother, and with the Navy, you better watch your back!!! LOL.

In the immortal words of cmc, cruze on!

Dolby, Man, I can only imagine your pain. I have our whole group of 7 psyched up for messin' with the chair hogs! Can't wait to take books and stuff to the bar and tell them they were abandoned by the owners. Getting excited already and still have four weeks to wait!

Go for it, enjoy .

dolby: i'm with you.. i have only cruised twice before (easter week 2006 and presidents week 2007) and have never had a problem finding a chair. In fact the week of Easter that i cruised on Explorer, my family sat in the exact loungers all week...!! maybe we are lucky, hopefully next month i will have the same luck on mariner..... :rolleyes: that said, i probably would not move someones stuff, but i would tell a pool attendant....

Archived