Children's Dress Code in Dining Room

We have two younger boys (11 and 9). For the resort casual nights - would a nice pair of shorts and a polo work? The boys only have a few pair of dress pants, so was hoping this would work, or is the code the same for children? In addition, for formal, we were thinking dress pants/button down, and a tie. No jacket/suit/tux for them.

In the main dining room, no shorts are allowed although I saw a couple come in that attire, only to be stopped by the maitr'd. After a moment they were allowed in. For the Casual/Smart Casual, just some nice pants, nothing real formal, and shirt would be fine. Similiar to what you would wear to a nice restraurant. Formal nights, just a nice suit jacket if you have that for them. You will see most men on formal nights, in pants and a suit coat and tie.

We're taking our son too. He'll be 3 1/2 by the time we cruise. Ours is only 5 nights. I think decades ago youngsters used to wear short pants for formal wear. But these days, shorts are somewhat more casual . . . maybe too casual for the dining room. Just my opinion.

For casual nights, I'm taking some kaki slacks and polo shirts for him or maybe a white shirt and little v neck sweater. I may just repeat the slacks if he doesn't spill something on them. If he does I'll just send it to the ships laundry. We haven't used the laundry service on the ship before, but it might be easier than packing extra dress clothes. Another thought might be to pack some of those shout wipes if the spill is simply just a little spot.

For the formal night, I was thinking of looking around for a little boy suit maybe at Burlington's or TJ Max or maybe even Goodwill. Usually dress clothes don't get the wear and tear like every day clothes. J C Penneys usually has boy suits too.

Have fun on your trip.

The suit sounds like a cute idea for formal night...hope you can find one at a second hand store.

I would not worry too much on the other nights. It's easier for the girls you can find inexpensive sun dresses at walmart or target and they will look adorable.

I'm sure you can find pants and a polo type shirt there as well - buy two and have them laundered and you will save money. You know there is no way a child can wear something twice - that would be a miracle.

Do the best you can for the little ones without spending a fortune. Between us....kids can get away with more casual attire than adults. I think people care more their behavior than they do about their attire.

We have two younger boys (11 and 9). For the resort casual nights - would a nice pair of shorts and a polo work? The boys only have a few pair of dress pants, so was hoping this would work, or is the code the same for children? In addition, for formal, we were thinking dress pants/button down, and a tie. No jacket/suit/tux for them.

The formal outift for young boys will be fine.

Shorts are not allowed in the dining room...this isn't merely a "suggested attire" but something that is clearly stated "not permitted".

One thing you might want to think about is that the Ocean Adventure normally holds a "kids" night on both formal nights. My kids normally do one formal night in the dining room and the other they join their friends with the Ocean adventure group.

Also, check Ebay for "formal" kids clothes. I found a tux for $20 for my son and he sure looked cute in it!!

For casual nights the polo would be fine, but long pants are required in the dining room for dinner. Try the resale shops for a few pair of chino style docker-types and/or the cargo pants (some even zip off to shorts). If they wear the pants only to dinner and change to shorts for the evening's festivities, you should be able to get at least two or three nights wear from one pair (without laundry) -- at 9 and 11 they are old enough that they should be able to handle a napkin.

For a 1 week cruise, I bring my son 2 pairs of docker-type pants (target $12) and a suit (Burlington Coat Factory $50). He will go to the dining room 5 times so he wears the suit 1 night and the pants twice each with different polo shirts. He put the pants on before dinner and changes into shorts after dinner so he can gets 2 uses. the shorts don't work, but jsut the shirt and tie are fine.

On our last cruise, I saw kids in the dinning on room with kacki shorts and polo shirts. If that is what you want to pack for your kids, do it! I have yet to see anybody thrown out of the dinning room for wearing shorts! I do not wear shorts in the dinning and always dress for formal nights, but I don't even look twice when I see a teenager dressed in shorts.

The reason I recommend pants is not the arguement of whether shorts allowed/ not allowed. The dining room is very cold. You are sitting for nearly 2 hours. My legs are very cold when I wear a dress. I think a kid would be very uncomfortable.

Archived