QE2’s hull condition

Cunard Cruiser

I hope my comments/questions below are not taken the wrong way. I dearly love QE2. Always have and always will.

I wonder how QE2 hull condition is? I have read on these boards that it seems to be in very good shape but I also remember someone posting a Lloyds report link, which said there was concern about a few plates being worn. I believe they were located on deck 4.

I know in recent years QE2 has had issues with leaks (May 2002 engine room flooded as documented by British Marine Auth.) and in either 2002 or 2003 she went dead for a few hours in the North Atlantic and then again New Year Eve, because her generator failed and it took 3 hours to have up and running and there was a firs in one of the AC rooms in 2004 (this was told to me by an officer).

I think Carnival only invested in the appearance of the ship and not actual function.

So could there be more then SOLAS 2010 regulations that are causing her retirement soon than anticipated?

I was on the Christmas cruise when she lost power. It was in the wee small hours of Jan 1, when most people were going to bed after seeing in the new year. The next morning, I talked to one passenger who said she had dressed and walked out on deck, where she saw a few passengers wearing their sans life vests! (excuse me, "personal floatation devices") Oh ye of little faith. I went to bed, secure that the Queen would take good care of us.

I think Carnival only invested in the appearance of the ship and not actual function. So could there be more then SOLAS 2010 regulations that are causing her retirement soon than anticipated?

No, they invested in Galley equipment in the last refit. We may never know why she's going when she is - yes there are other older ships out there, but none of them express liners which have to put up with years of hammering on the North Atlantic - and in any case they are unlikely to fess up to 'we're selling her coz 'X' is a bit dodgy' while still taking fare paying passengers!

Peter

I was on the Christmas cruise when she lost power. It was in the wee small hours of Jan 1, when most people were going to bed after seeing in the new year. The next morning, I talked to one passenger who said she had dressed and walked out on deck, where she saw a few passengers wearing their sans life vests! (excuse me, "personal floatation devices") Oh ye of little faith. I went to bed, secure that the Queen would take good care of us.

i was on her when she lost power in 1989. it was 2:30 in the morning, i was watching tv and everything just stopped. i could hear a siren going off in the bowels of the ship and i was on deck 2! it was the second voyage after her major refit when i think the power units were changed so it could have been teething problems.

glenn.

None of the hull is aluminium, but much of the superstructure is. The hull is all strong, reinforced steel.

There are patches all over her aluminium superstructure, but i didnt think it was causing operational problems.

The hull was stripped back to bare metal in 1999? (can someone confirm) and I have photos of this. At the time they said the hull was pretty much as good as new. It was designed for a North Atlantic hammering, and thats what it got!

I think the air conditioning, plumbing and small cabins etc. is the main issue... (even before SOLAS2010) about 10 years ago it sounded like the plumbing issues alone were going to do her in!

Don't question the strength of this magnificent Clydebuilt ship - the fact that she'll be doing 2 Transatlantic voyage next October, 39 years after delivery and 5.5 millions miles later, is testament to this.

Archived