Question about pricing?

This is just a curious question about holiday pricing on cruises. I notice that the exact same cruise before the holidays is typically about half the price as the 2 weeks of the holidays? Is there anything done that is more special than normal for this time period? Or is this just because it is peak season and people have off this time?

Supply and demand pure and simple. They know they can charge way over the norm because it is a family get together time and huge school vacation time.

The ships will be decorated and there is a festive air on board, only you can decide if these things are worth double to you.

This is just a curious question about holiday pricing on cruises. I notice that the exact same cruise before the holidays is typically about half the price as the 2 weeks of the holidays? Is there anything done that is more special than normal for this time period? Or is this just because it is peak season and people have off this time?

Is it really that surprising? It's called supply and demand. During a holiday period, such as Christmas and New Year's, the schools are closed. Many people who cruise with their children and won't take them out of school for a cruise vacation, want to book during this holiday period. The same is true for spring vacation and summer vacation.

More people cruising, more people wanting to cruise, the cruiseline can charge and get higher fares.

Less popular times, they have to drop the prices to entice people onto the ships.

Pretty basic economics.

:)

Thanks...i was just wondering. I figured it was that, but I was hoping they did something extra special.

Well, they do decorate the ships for Christmas. If you are on for New Year's, there are big parties on NYE, with some free champagne. (lots of free champagne, if you are clever). Santa Claus comes and gives presents to the kids, too, usually, on the Christmas cruises.

But what you are getting for your holiday cruisefare is a lovely cabin on a fabulous ship, where you do not have to shop, cook, clean, transport children, deal with relatives (unless you are cruising with them!), drive to the mall, etc. etc. etc.!

Archived