QM2 - Looking for alternatives as wonderful (is it possible?)

NYC123

We crossed on the QM2 this past May. We were not big cruise people before, but we fell in love with the QM2 and want to do more...Question for you all: What other cruise lines / ships do you recommend? Would like to be able to leave from NYC, but it's not a deal breaker. What we appreciated most about the QM2 was the excellent service and dignified atmosphere. In other words, we are looking for "quiet" ships, if you will. Thanks for your feedback.

We have sailed on QM2 three times and loved every minute of each sailing. The ship is wonderful, quiet and dignified. The food and service in general were superb. I say the Queen you know is better than the.....you don't know. Spoken by someone who will sail around the world on Queen Victoria in January '08.

QM2 is a nice way to travel, although she is a little large for my tastes.

I do like more the more refined atmosphere that ships like QE2, QM2 offer. I do not want congo lines and karaoke. Probably better to avoid the "family" orientated lines - even though they do have some quiet area on their ships too. So probably best to exclude Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL.

Of the large cruise lines you have options like Cunard, Holland America Line, P & O (they do some ships with no children). There are also smaller, and older, ships like Discovery, Marco Polo and the Fred Olsen line worth a thought.

Also there are the more up market ships from Silversea and Radisson/Regent; more intimate with exemplary service.

Crossings attract families less than sunny area cruising. Same can be said for colder areas like Alaska.

There are dozens of ships to choose from, my QE2 addiction means I seldom get a chance to try the others.

If you are looking for something Sept/Oct time frame, Azamara Journey.

Small, elegant ship.. not kid friendly.

BTW, I've booked lots of families on HAL's Noordam out of NYC... so there will be kids of all ages.

Naturally, you'll need to avoid all of the NCL ships.

The passenger complement on QM2's Caribbean/Bahamas sailings out of New York are quite a bit different than crossings.

If you are looking at crossings you really have no alternative now that the oldie is retiring. For cruises there are many other choices and QM2 to the Caribbean? - not for me thanks.

I have sailed with a few other lines, and to be honest they were mostly not much different from Cunard, although there were some stinkers.

I don't believe you would find much awry with P&O at much the same prices. We do get a bit obsessed with Cunard here at times.

David.

If you are looking for something Sept/Oct time frame, Azamara Journey.

Small, elegant ship.. not kid friendly.

BTW, I've booked lots of families on HAL's Noordam out of NYC... so there will be kids of all ages.

Naturally, you'll need to avoid all of the NCL ships.

The passenger complement on QM2's Caribbean/Bahamas sailings out of New York are quite a bit different than crossings.

I've heard the Azamaras are smoke-free or severely restricted wrt smoking. Do you know if this is true? It might have an impact on some people choosing the line or not.

If you want a cruise out of NYC, consider a cruise to New England/Canada. Two ships that offer quiet spaces with nice accommodations are Golden Princess and Emerald of the Seas (RCCL). The Emerald of the Seas is perhaps the most beautiful of the modern ships. The food is not the best every night, but a few nights are outstanding. We have been on both these lines several times, but my favorite ship, the SS Norway, is probably dismantled by now according to what I have read on the boards.

Laura

NYC123 - Here are a few simple guidelines to aid you in choosing future cruises among the myriad of possibilities.

1. You get what you pay for !!!

If you are looking for superb service, fine dining, attention to detail and refined atmosphere then you need to look at the luxury and delux cruise lines. And one has to pay for the privilege. The luxury cruise lines are Seabourn, Regent Seven Seas, Silversea, Crystal, and, if you are fluent in German, Hapag-Lloyd's Europa and Peter Dielmann's Deutschland are luxury ships. Delux (my own designation) cruise lines are a step down from luxury and include Oceania, Cunard, Windstar and Celebrity's new Azamara ships. None of these lines cater to children although most will allow children on board. The per night fares are typically 2 to 5 times higher than what the mainstream or bargain cruise lines will cost.

One can find very satisfactory cruising experiences with mainstream cruise lines like Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, and the newer and larger Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Costa and MSC ships. Careful picking and choosing is the game here. The bargain cruise lines are NCL and the older and smaller ships of Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Costa and MSC cruise lines.

2. The longer the cruise the quieter the ship !

It is the 7 day or less cruises in warm waters that tend to bring out the party animals. Longer cruises of 14 days or more attract more retired (and therefore older) passengers. Also, the party people tend to pace themselves better on longer cruises. One can have a completely different cruise experience on the same ship by selecting a cruise of different lengths and at different times during the year.

3. Holidays = Kids !!

Families with children pack cruise ships during Holidays and school vacations. Christmas & New Year, February school break, Easter, summer vacation (mid June to mid August) and Thanksgiving week are the peak times to find lots of children on cruise ships. Pick and choose cruising times accordingly.

For good reviews of various cruise ships with excellent photos spend some time at http://www.shipparade.com and you may find something that fits your needs.

Bill

an internet cruise junkie

I've heard the Azamaras are smoke-free or severely restricted wrt smoking. Do you know if this is true? It might have an impact on some people choosing the line or not.

Yes, that is true. Smoking is not allowed in staterooms or on one's verandah.

Smoking is allowed in one corner of the pool area and a small section in the Looking Glass Lounge (forward facing lounge).

Uh-oh......I was thinking about one of those.....is that an alarm bell I hear tinkling in the distance........?

Uh-oh......I was thinking about one of those.....is that an alarm bell I hear tinkling in the distance........?

Our first time on QM2 was November 2004 10 days to Carribbean out of NYC. The passenger mix was very international...in fact, we were the only Americans at our dinner table (2 couples from England and the other from Australia). Now, the shorter holiday cruises (Bahamas and Nova Scotia) attract a different type of passenger since they are short and (relatively speaking) less costly. I would have no fear of booking one of the longer (10 day) Carribbean's out of NYC, but would urge caution if considering one of the shorter "holiday" cruises.

If you are looking for another ship with a similar interior feel of spaciousness, try the Crystal Symphony. The Symphony is light and airy inside, with plenty of places (like the QM2) where one can look from one side of the ship, all the way across the ship to the windows on the other side (an example on QM2 would be from the windows in Sir Samuels' across to the windows of the Chart Room). The Symphony's interior is also classy and elegant, with no glitz or hint of Las Vegas. Also the Symphony has alot of outdoor deck space, like the back of the QM2.

Staterooms are also similar in decor and feel.

Both ships are beautifully designed.

Yes, that is true. Smoking is not allowed in staterooms or on one's verandah.

Smoking is allowed in one corner of the pool area and a small section in the Looking Glass Lounge (forward facing lounge).

Sounds exactly like the Oceania Regatta's "smoking rooms". I found the restriction not really a problem at all. Others disagreed.

Archived