Rather embarrassing liquor question.

kennetro

I'm sorry to sound like such a travel neophyte, but here goes..... We drink bourbon. (There! I said it! LOL) All of the threads on this board regarding liquor seem to discuss only the "clear" liquors. (i.e. those that smuggle vodka or gin in water bottles, etc.) Here's my dilemma. How does one go about taking "colored liquors" (such as BOURBON) onboard? ...and my 2nd question is this: I've read on here about packing "rumrunners" (undetectible plastic flasks) in my checked luggage. That's how I'm planning to take my favorite whiskey on board. Because we will be spending several days in advance of our cruise in Rome, my question is, do they even SELL Bourbon in Rome? Believe it or not, I still find places in the US that it's hard to find "straight bourbon whiskey"! Any worldly travelers out there with good advice? Thanks in advance!

You know, if even half the ingenuity devoted here to smuggling aboard liquor in contravention of cruiseline policies was instead devoted to developing alternate fuel sources, curing disease, and improving the off-season personnel picks of the Washington Redskins, just imagine what a wonderful world it would be. Just sayin'.

Just wrap you (original) bottle in bubble wrap, put it in a large ziplock and pack it between your clothes in your suitcase (checked luggage). It should be fine and will arrive in your cabin safe and sound. No need to 'play games' with booze when travelling on Princess...

Enjoy your cruise :)

You know, if even half the ingenuity devoted here to smuggling aboard liquor in contravention of cruiseline policies was instead devoted to developing alternate fuel sources, curing disease, and improving the off-season personnel picks of the Washington Redskins, just imagine what a wonderful world it would be. Just sayin'.

The OP asked a simple question and deserves an answer, not a lecture.

What's a redskin, a peanut?

Just wrap you (original) bottle in bubble wrap, put it in a large ziplock and pack it between your clothes in your suitcase (checked luggage). It should be fine and will arrive in your cabin safe and sound. No need to 'play games' with booze when travelling on Princess...

I agree. Last year I bubble wrapped a bottle of Rum and then wrapped it with a plush beach towel. It made it to the room with no problems. Tip your porter. That is one less person likely to toss it like a ragdoll,lol!

bottles packed in suitcases don't seem to be bothered. This will change someday if Princess sees their bar sales declining substantially. They are, of course, in business to make a profit. I try to have my favorite in the room as well as available within 100 feet of anywhere I walk on board!:p

That being said....I found the Scotch/Bourbon choices aboard the CB last year pretty good...not great but definatly OK. And reasably priced, Johny Walker Blue went for $10 a healthy shot. Not bad....unless you had 4:)

The OP asked a simple question and deserves an answer, not a lecture.

What's a redskin, a peanut?

It was a joke, Mike, not a lecture. Sorry if you and the OP took it as such; it certainly wasn't meant that way. You must admit, reading all these detailed instructions for hiding one's brought-on-board liquor is pretty funny!

And the Washington Redskins are a professional football team who, for the past few years, have in fact been playing at the skill level of your average peanut, so you were very nearly right.

It was a joke, Mike, not a lecture. Sorry if you and the OP took it as such; it certainly wasn't meant that way. You must admit, reading all these detailed instructions for hiding one's brought-on-board liquor is pretty funny!

And the Washington Redskins are a professional football team who, for the past few years, have in fact been playing at the skill level of your average peanut, so you were very nearly right.

Sorry on this end as well.

It really does amaze me at all the procedures people go through to smuggle booze onboard. And I do it because room service won't sell me a bottle (of Bombay Sapphire) like they did for years so I can have a drink in the cabin.

Nothing fancy is involved, just put in your luggage folks in an unbreakable bottle, that's it, pure and simple and you will sail right through.

Have you not heard of the Atlanta Falcons?

NO ONE plays worse than they do. No one.

Mike

That was a very dignified and courteous reply. I took you as joking too. These type of threads are really interesting though! :)

Sorry on this end as well.

It really does amaze me at all the procedures people go through to smuggle booze onboard. And I do it because room service won't sell me a bottle (of Bombay Sapphire) like they did for years so I can have a drink in the cabin.

Nothing fancy is involved, just put in your luggage folks in an unbreakable bottle, that's it, pure and simple and you will sail right through.

Have you not heard of the Atlanta Falcons?

NO ONE plays worse than they do. No one.

Mike

The Oakland Raiders might give you a run on that statement! :D

We just got home from the Coral Princess and we too are bourbon drinkers. Couldn't be easier. We put a 1.75 litre PLASTIC bottle (sealed/unopened) in the middle of a checked suitcase and it arrived perfect. Didn't even use a ziplock.

We kept it right on the counter in our mini-suite next to the glasses. Nobody cared. We left the bottle (with a bit left) in the cabin when we debarked. Figured somebody on the crew would enjoy it.

OP: "Because we will be spending several days in advance of our cruise in Rome, my question is, do they even SELL Bourbon in Rome?"

My suggestion is to post this question, "Do they sell Bourbon in Rome?" over on the Europe, Mediterranean- Eastern & Western Ports of Call Message Board. When we were preparing for our trip to Rome, I found that there were a lot of locals & knowledgeable cruisers that had the answers to most of my questions.

One thing I do remember about Rome is that the liquor and wine was very inexpensive and was sold in the Supermercado right across from our hotel. In fact, I bought a liter of limoncello for 5 euros and my best buy was a large bottle of Bailey's for around 12 euros. In Dublin, it sold for 26 euros. That was just last November. Oh, & you must try the "grappa." But that's another story....:)

OP: "Because we will be spending several days in advance of our cruise in Rome, my question is, do they even SELL Bourbon in Rome?"

Bourbon is commonly on sale all over Europe, as well as proper drinks. You'll probably pay slightly more. Be warned though: some European establishments will sell it without sugary fizzy water and an iceberg, to the extent that you may even be able to taste the original product.

:D

Bourbon is commonly on sale all over Europe, as well as proper drinks. You'll probably pay slightly more. Be warned though: some European establishments will sell it without sugary fizzy water and an iceberg, to the extent that you may even be able to taste the original product.

:D

But it tastes nasty that way.

But it tastes nasty that way.

Hi Lord Spongebath.

Bizarrely, because I can drink good proper whisky whenever I want at a reasonable price at home, on holiday I always drink Bourbon "on the socks" (is that right?) a) for a change; it's very good for colonial gutrot and b) because someone will invariably think I'm American and start an argument with me. What better way to spend a day at sea, or indeed anywhere else for that matter.

By the way, is Paris Hilton a real person, an actual human being? Is it actually possible to be that Hiroshimically stupid? Fantastic - we only had Princess Diana and Victoria Beckham, not in the same league.

xx

Archived