Which cruise? Princess, RCI, or Carnival?

We're celebrating our 10th anniversary. We don't drink, like Vegas reviews, or hang out in the disco when the rap and hip-hop come on. We do love a balcony but can sail in any category (and have). Ship is more important than itin to us. Should we try a PV to get more activities? Here's the selection:

Triumph aft wrap-around balcony (9A) is $300 less and has a great itin. as well as cabin is ina great location. All the other are about the same price.

Carib Princess mini suite - love the cabins but balconies stick out and everyone on that side of the ship looks at them - beautiful ship

Mariner - OV or balc D2 (D2 is $400 ttl more than CP, OV is same)

Liberty of the Seas - OV or PV same $ as CP mini

We're celebrating our 10th anniversary. We don't drink, like Vegas reviews, or hang out in the disco when the rap and hip-hop come on. We do love a balcony but can sail in any category (and have). Ship is more important than itin to us. Should we try a PV to get more activities? Here's the selection:

Triumph aft wrap-around balcony (9A) is $300 less and has a great itin. as well as cabin is ina great location. All the other are about the same price.

Carib Princess mini suite - love the cabins but balconies stick out and everyone on that side of the ship looks at them - beautiful ship

Posting on particular boards are going to get you biases opinions.

You have been on NCL, Carnival and Princess.

You already know what you want and dont want so why not just go with what you know or what your gut tells you?

You can post on the Carnival board and Princess board and those folks will try to convince you to sail their line.

I say the best cruise critic is YOU!

No, this time, the best bet is NOT me. We like something about every one of these ships, and we can't have exactly what we want on any of them. Thus, we've been debating this one for literally weeks. I should clarify that we can be happy sailing in any category. I didn't realize that my post sounded like we can afford on this cruise to sail any cat.

The Carnival folks don't all say CCI. There are many of them who sail a variety of lines, and a couple have said they'd go on the CP. There are many on the boards who don't marry themselves to just one line, but I was hoping to find people who'd seen the Mariner and maybe one of these other ships and thought that more likely on the RCI boards. We are booked on the Liberty of the Seas for 09, but I haven't added it to my sig yet.

my pic would be mariner since you are doing liberty in 09 - many things to do on a ship that size- activities to go to literally all day and into the early a.m. if that is what suits you- or plenty of places to stroll both inside and out- and the adult only solarium is a great place to relax in the sun or "shade" on those comfy loungers- we have been on mariner a couple of times and really enjoyed the ship- sailed on 2 other v.c. ships and loved them also- they all offer so much- the ship is more of our destination as well - ports are a 2nd in the rankings when we are deciding -

i have read good things about the car. prin. too but have not been on that line yet so can't comment there-

we have been on destiny and victory- sisters to triumph- had great times there but really just like the v.c. ships way better-

from the ships you are choosing from- i dont think you can go wrong on any of them to tell you the truth- afterall, you will be on a cruise!!!

I would do RCL (my first choice) then Princess. We like RCL better than Princess line. Get the best room you can. We usually do balcony or JS so cant help you much on which room to get. We did Freedom and loved her so I assume Liberty will be just as good.

We have sailed on both the Triumph and Mariner within the last year. The Mariner may be a few dollars more there is no comparison between the two. Mariner wins hands down.

I too would eliminate Carnival...we have always been Princess fans, as u can see from some past cruises, but have recently been hooked on the Voyager Class ships on RCI...so ultimately I might choose Mariner (since taking in August..LOL) or Liberty. But, know you'd enjoy Princess...axe Carnival! Just my thoughts. :)

I would pick the Caribbean Princess, IMHO the best room for the price.

I also loved the Movies st the pool and their specialty restaurant.

I really don't care for the Triumph, I do like the Conquest class and especially the Spirit class. Maybe you could get an aft wrap balcony on a better Carnival ship.

I have not cruised the Mariner or the Liberty, but have cruised the Explorer and Freedom. If you like the extra amenities offered on these ships they are worth it, but I'm not big on the bigger ships and now only book that class based on itinerary not because of the ship.

Have fun deciding:)

Beth

Even as a Carnival fan, if ship is more important that itin, I would suggest not doing the Triumph, it's far from the nicest ship in their fleet. However, I am more an itin gal, and that is why I am considering the Triumph.

I am one that loves the Voyager class ships so out of the three picked, the Mariner would win hands down. Princess would be my next choice. I have not cruised on Princess but they are on my list to try in the near future. Carnival would be my last choice. Have cruised on the Triumph twice. She was nice but when compared to the Voyager class ships, she does not compare in any way at all.

We cruised on Mariner twice..........loved it each time.......it is very special....love the parades and the ice skating show......balcony room choice sounds perfect for a 10th anniversary. It would be hard to beat this cruise.

Carnival will not get any more of our money.......been there done that

Have a fantastic anniversary !!

I really appreciate the feedback I've gotten, because for the first time we've just been ridiculously indecisive. The full story is thus: We'd booked an aft wrap on the Triumph remembering how much fun we had on the Elation with our kids but are very concerned we'll be bored at night on our own (can always go sit in the hot tub) since we don't like the Vegas thong and feather parades or the adult late-night comedy (prefer PG rated).

We also booked the CP mini-suite, but it's one of those where you're sticking out further than other decks and there's no privacy on the balcony. Still, it's a beautiful cabin and ship with more we like for nightlife.

I've wanted to go on a Voyager class ship for a long time. It looks so fun - guess I've fallen for the advertising, but what a ship! The only drawback is taking a lower cabin category. RCI looks like the real fun ships to me, although I would absolutely take my family on Carnival again. We're leaning toward the Mariner and want to decide in the next couple of days.

I would do RCL (my first choice) then Princess. We like RCL better than Princess line. Get the best room you can. We usually do balcony or JS so cant help you much on which room to get. We did Freedom and loved her so I assume Liberty will be just as good.

Can you tell me what makes RCL your choice over Princess? We're still deciding between Adventure of the Seas and Crown Princess for southern caribbean in March 2009. I'm driving myself insane trying to figure this one out. So far we've not gone on either cruise line, but will be doing Princess next month. Right now, I'm leaning towards Adventure but am leary of committing in case I totally fall in love with the Crown next month. Can you share some insight for me?

Can you tell me what makes RCL your choice over Princess? We're still deciding between Adventure of the Seas and Crown Princess for southern caribbean in March 2009. I'm driving myself insane trying to figure this one out. So far we've not gone on either cruise line, but will be doing Princess next month. Right now, I'm leaning towards Adventure but am leary of committing in case I totally fall in love with the Crown next month. Can you share some insight for me?

We like the layout of the RCL ships much better, and we felt the layout made some areas very crowded. We have no complaints on any RCL ship we have done (14 to date). The food was equal to RCL, the service also, but we just liked the ships much better. We didnt like the pool areas either on Princess.

We like the layout of the RCL ships much better, and we felt the layout made some areas very crowded. We have no complaints on any RCL ship we have done (14 to date). The food was equal to RCL, the service also, but we just liked the ships much better. We didnt like the pool areas either on Princess.

We did like the pool areas on the Grand Princess, and Princess pools are fresh water. Here are some sites we've used to compare GP and Voyager class ships. There are some really great photos. To us both ships are beautiful.

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/albums/albums/publicspaces/health/pool/html/poolFR.html

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/galleryAws.html

www.cruiseclues.com

Particularly liked this one from there:

http://home.comcast.net/~bmwsmw/Bruce_Sharon_Home_Page.html

I will say we do like the layout of RCI better, as it never seems really crowded anywhere (to us) on Voyager Class ships, were as on Princess there were times (mainly pool) it was quite overcrowded.

BUT, Princess food is far superior in our opinon then RCI's. We always have looked forward to the food on our Princess cruises.

Let us know what ends up being your final decision on Anniversary cruise..enjoy!

I'd love that option and will give that a try. We booked a guarantee, though, so we can assume Dolphin Deck where most the minis are. We do keep going back and forth between the ships. Really, we've NEVER had a dilemna. We've always been decisive about it until this time.

Our sailing does not have any covered balconies available. We can bank on being on Dolphin deck unless the upgrade fairy favors us.

We've axed the Carnival cruise and were heading for Princess, but then we had a twinge of doubt. The Mariner is really beautiful. The mini suite on Princess will give us 75 - 100 sq. ft. more than we'll get in a balcony on the Mariner BUT the Mariner's balcony won't have the balconies above looking down at us.

On the Mariner is there a lot of selling and shipwide announcements? (Princess was much less in our faces with that)

Of the cabin choices you listed I would choose the mini suite on Princess.....we had one on the Caribbean Princess and it was a great cabin........we had an AD mini suite which is covered.

However our overall cruise experience was much better on Royal Caribbean.

So if cabin is important to you.........the mini suite on Princess is a better choice...........now I would take a jr. suite on RC anyday over a mini suite but that wasn't one of your choices.

As for announcements on the Mariner...........it is my opinion RC has really cut down on these in the last 18 months........yes you will have some, but nothing like it used to be.

Archived