1st Cruise,wifes worried

-=STeVeO=-

Taking wife and kids on crown princess,this is our 1st cruise.Wife is a little worried about location of room since she anticipates sea sickness.Room # is

E105 on Emerald deck which is forward of the ship,shes wondering if ship

will be bouncing up and down at sea.If any1 has been in this room or near it

or any info in general about her concern plz respond.

Thx.

Haven't been in that location, but on a first cruise it is always best to take seasick precautions as you never know how the movement of the ship will affect any one person. It is definitely better to be safe then sorry no matter where your cabin is located.

Forward, if the seas do get a bit rough, you may feel more motion. But if she takes something before she may feel ill, it is much easier to prevent seasickness then to get rid of it once it grabs hold.

Go to your local pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist where you would normally get perscriptions, he may have an idea what to recommend from your wifes past medical history. Personally, if seas become rough, we rely on Bonine, the generic behind the counter stuff that is less expensive doesn't seem to work as well as the Bonine for me.

Tell her not to worry, as long as she is prepared, there really shouldn't be a problem one.

When are you going and where are you going? Some places/dates we've gone, you hardly feel any motion. Others we've felt a lot of motion. If you tell us this, I'm sure somebody will have gone that place at about that time, and they'll be able to give you info.

She may be pleasantly surprised and have no seasickness at all. I get car sick, but not sea sick. :confused:

We always see lots of people wearing those patches, so she should probably check into that.

Haven't been that far forward, but was a deck higher (more motion) on last cruise. I get VIOLENTLY motion sick from things as simple as sitting in the back of the car, but haven't had any issues on a cruise other than feeling slighlty queasy my first night on an RCL cruise, eating dinner while watching the wake (changed seats, felt better). My routine is 2 ginger pills in the morning, a non-drowsy Dramamine/Bonine when I reboard the ship in the evening, and wearing those Sea-Band things when onboard. Not sure which of those does the trick, but overall it has worked for me!

Tell your wife not to worry. I was very worried about sea sickness before our first cruise on the Crown back in February. I get sick in cars, on motor boats, airplanes, even when I go on swings with my kids! :p The only thing I felt when the ship left at night was sleepy b/c it had a gentle swaying motion. Didn't feel ill at all. Have fun and enjoy!!!

PS. We did bring tons of scapalomine (sp) but didn't need it at all.

Buzzsmom

SteVeO: Since you are on the Crown, I am presuming that you are doing a Caribbean cruise. One of the best things about going there is that the seas are relatively calm in the Caribbean. (Our last four cruises there has been flat to calm seas for 24 out of 28 days and the other four days were maybe slight to moderate. Though each cruise may be very different with wave height from what we experienced.) I do not get sea sick, but my youngest does. On those cruise we did not have to repeat any of her medicine.

Of course each person and each cruise is different, so you need to do what is best for you and your family.

When we were in Alaska, in heavy seas, my daughter got sea sick. We went to the medical center where she recieved a shot..... (can anyone help me with what the drug was since I do not remember).... and she was fine.

Good luck and I am certain you will enjoy your cruise!!

Rich a.k.a.

I agree with Toto, the best thing is for your wife to be prepared and hope she doesn't need to take anything. We did the Crown cruise out of NYC last summer, and it was pretty rough coming back into New York. I was seasick and that never happens to me, so I wasn't ready. Our daughter, however, was with us and had gotten a prescription from her MD for the patch behind her ear because she is prone to seasickness -- and she didn't feel a thing! The Atlantic can be rougher than the Caribbean, but your wife should have a great time as long as she is well stocked with remedies. We loved our Crown cruise!

Taking wife and kids on crown princess,this is our 1st cruise.Wife is a little worried about location of room since she anticipates sea sickness.Room # is

Thx.

Have her try ginger caps. They are very effective with many people and the only negative side effect is 'ginger breath'.

It's a good idea to start taking them a few days before departure. My wife used the 500MG caps and took two three times daily.

If the noninvasive remedy fails, you can alway get Bonine (Meclizine) from the purser's desk.

Be aware of possible (probable?) side effects:

http://www.medicinenet.com/meclizine_cyclizine-oral/article.htm

I once considered the patch version and asked our pharmacist if the patch had the same potential side effects. Her reply was a simple: "the medicine's the same, only the delivery system is changed".

I too was nervous about getting sea sick on my first cruise. I took Bonine everyday. We have been on four cruises and have never gotten sick. I don't know if I would have gotten sick or not, but figured it's not going to hurt to be prepared.

Seasick Remedy List

1. Transderm Scop (the patches...easy scrip from Dr)

2. Non drowsy Meclizine, Bonine or Dramamine (all over the counter, although I recently heard the latter was just removed from shelves)[take 1st tab the night before you sail]

3. Ginger Tablets/Ginger Tea (available in health food stores)

4. Skin of Apples (old seaman's remedy..ask cabin steward to keep apples in your cabin)

5. Injection from the ship's medical center. (there is a fee)

6. Once feeling queazy, stop drinking all liquids. Eat dry crackers and bread. Do not lay down in cabin. Come up on deck to open areas.

Taking wife and kids on crown princess,this is our 1st cruise.Wife is a little worried about location of room since she anticipates sea sickness...........Thx.

The sea state will have a bigger effect on seasickness, not the cabin location. There is the fact you will experience more motion forward or aft, but it the sea is not rough, it will not matter.

If after taking all the remedies mentioned, one suggestion is if still sea sick, find fresh air and/or a spot lower and in the middle of the ship.

Thx.

Our first cruise we were in a similar cabin location on Emerald. I can get motion sickeness DRIVING a car and I did not feel anything on our cruise. It was great. I agree with Toto though, Bonine is the best for motion sickness and my daughters both swear by ginger capsules:)

My sister-in-law cruised with us last December and was very concerned that she might feel seasick. She gets queasy driving down a bumpy road, so there was a good chance she wouldn't like the motion of the ship. She relied on the SeaBands and had a great time, even going through a rather powerful storm one night.

Many rely on prescription medications, but those can have unpleasant side effects so I'd go with the homeopathic and accupressure solutions first, before running to the pharmacy.

We don't get seasick but had a forward cabin on our last cruise and did feel some motion - not enough to get sick, but enough that we could feel it.

If you are worried about motion, the best location is a low deck in the middle of the ship.

We had our best cruise as far as feeling no motion on deck 4 in the middle of the ship in an NCL cruise.

I'd try at the very least to move to a mid ship cabin if you are worried about motion on a first cruise.

Thanks for all the replys my wife read them all and feels much more confident.

Shes going to get all mentioned precautionary meds and remedies,shes declared war on seasickness lol.Cruise is to Grand Turk,San Juan,St. thomas,

and Bermuda in August and the family is very excited since its our first time

cruising and first time to tropical islands.Just planning this trip with my wife and kids has been real fun as has reading all the threads on this great site.

Im sure you havent heard the last questions from my family and i as we

continue to plan. Thx again.

Steve, like your wife, I get motion sick easily. I took my first cruise in April and was worried about sea sickness. I get motion sick in cars, on ski lifts, everywhere. I once actually turned green on a catamaran. I was afraid of getting really sick and then being stuck onboard with no escape. My travel agent, who also gets motion sick, advised me to get a room as far down as possible, and mid-ship. I believe the 100's are pretty far forward. I was on the Dawn Princess. My room was in the 300s on the Plaza Deck, mid-ship. It was also an inside cabin. I was advised that it's best not to be able to see the wave action. She was correct. I had no problem when in my cabin. However, when I walked the Promenade Deck on the at sea days, I had to look away from the waves in order not to feel dizzy. The last couple of days at sea on the way back to San Francisco from Mexico were a little rough, enough so that they cancelled the show because of potential danger for the dancers. When I started to actually feel the movement, I immediately took Bonine, which did the trick. I was advised by my physician that the Scopalamine patch might actually cause me to feel dizzy, so I stuck with the over-the-counter Bonine. I had the patches with me just in case, but never needed them. Am headed to Alaska on my second cruise next week, now that I'm over the fear of getting motion sickness. This time I'm on the Emerald Deck, but again in a cabin in the 300s. I'm also carrying on a six-pack of gingerale which helps alleviate any queasiness.

Best of luck to your wife. Hope she enjoys cruising as much as I do.

Archived