Help with class project

dmb814

Good Evening,

I'm working on a Marketing class project. And I picked Cruise Lines.

So what I need to know is why did you pick Holland America Cruise Line over say Celebrity Cruise Line?

What makes Holland America cruise special to you?

I really appreicate your help regarding this.

Thank You,

Diane

It would be easier to do quantitative research with a tool like a Likert scale that includes specific questions. You're going to get answers that are all over the map with an open ended question like the one you posed.

If you just want opinions on how people choose cruise lines, ask the question that way.

Do you want a comparison of cruise lines? I really don't know what you are asking.

GN

I chose Holland America because I had heard so much about their service/food/bedding and cleanliness of their ships... I also liked the idea of cruising out of San Diego.

I loved the attention we recieved from everyone; starting with our steward to the Hotel Manager.

I loved the decor and layout of the Oosterdam

I loved the crew

I loved the food

I loved the decor

I loved my bed and bedding, it was so, so comfortable

I loved the public areas; they were always kept so clean and inviting!

I loved the entertainment

I loved how you never felt like the children onboard were taking over the ship!

I loved the t.v.'s in the cabins; they were new.

I loved the Hotel Manager, James Deering; he was always concerned about our comfort.

I hope this helps you.

Diane:

I know you've posted this same question on NCL Boards (why NCL vs Celebrity). Can you clarify exactly what your premise for your research project is? I'm in marketing/advertising and I'm unclear on what your end-goal is here..........

You may wish to narrow your scope and be a little more specific which would help those of us who would like to help you out. Is Celebrity your main focus for comparative purposes?

So what I need to know is why did you pick Holland America Cruise Line over say Celebrity Cruise Line?

Thank You,

Diane

I picked HAL because:

1. It is a classy cruise line with a really fine reputation

2. They pay attention to even the smallest of detail

3. Fewer kids and even fewer wild and crazy "lets see how many beer I can drink on a 4 day cruise" college age "kids"

4. The right ship for the right locale

What makes HAL special:

1. Larger balcony cabins

2. Great bath products and robes provided

3. Wonderful dining in the formal dining room

4. Excellent staff who pay attention to details

5. 24/7 FREE room service: imagine chocolate chip cookies and milk at midnight. Cheese, crackers and fruit to munch as you sit on your balcony watching a glacier calve in Alaska

6. Outstanding embarkation procedure

gg

I picked Holland America the first time because it went where we wanted to go and my travel agent could get us a great price. Now I choose HAL because of the ambiance of her lovely ships and wonderful crew.

Good Evening,

I'm working on a Marketing class project. And I picked Cruise Lines.

Thank You,

Diane

Well, frankly, the particular cruise line is not on top of our list for cruising decisions. The very first thing we consider is itinerary. The particular ports, and the mix of ports and sea days, and the departure and return ports are our prime factors in picking a cruise. We would usually look at Princess, RCI and Celebrity as well as HAL, and choose among them on the basis of itinerary, convenience, and of course price.

The things we like best about HAL are the food, the service, and the wonderful ambiance of their ships. The things we like better on other ships are the entertainment and some of the activities.

HTH!

Everyone will have a favorite cruise line. They will do the majority of their sailings on that line, though they may "stray" every now and then to sample the offerings of another one.

For us who prefer HAL it is probably mostly due to the ambience onboard. That particular ambience appeals to us ... just as the ambience of Royal Caribbean may appeal more to others.

HAL is elegant, while still being mass market (and thus affordable to those of us for whom money is a consideration). The Indonesian and Phillopean (sp?) service staff is a notch above what we feel we get on other cruise lines. We like stepping into an environment where just about any request is not only satisfied, but often anticipated before we can even give voice to it. HAL's ships are predictable ... in that you will find the same basic ammenities ... the same lounges, the same fresh flowers, the same beautiful art work ... on each one of them. Stepping on any HAL ship feels like coming home to us. We know what to expect and those expectations are often exceeded.

HAL's ships are smaller than many of the offerings of other cruise lines. Most of us don't particularly like to sail on a vessel that is like a floating city ... having 3,000 to 5,000 ... and even more ... passengers onboard. We like the smaller ships ... where we can strike up conversations with people that we will continue to see throughout the voyage. On those huge megaships (such as those of Carnival and Royal Caribbean), I've been told that if you meet someone interesting onboard, you'd best get their cabin number, because odds are you'll never run into them again otherwise. The ship is just too big ... the venues too many ... to even hope to see the same person twice in a sailing.

HAL does interesting itineraries ... not just the same old, same old on every cruise. So, not only do we have a beautiful, elegant ship to enjoy, but we get to visit some interesting ports if we choose a more "exotic" cruise.

I guess the reason we pick Holland America over other cruise lines is because more of our needs are met on a HAL ship than on any other. No cruise line is perfect. If you read these boards for any length of time, you'll hear complaints on every cruise line (including HAL). But, I guess that as long as the majority of our needs are met on a HAL ship, we'll continue sailing them ... just as others will continue to sail Carnival because their needs are being met on those ships.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think the reasons I stay with Holland America are threefold: 1) elegant ships, 2) excellent service, and 3) comfort.

The ships are nice sized. Large enough for the company, yet small enough for me so that the crew:passenger ratio is small. I don't like being on a ship with 3000 other people. The Ryndam carries 1250 and is my favorite sized ship. Even the "large" Zuiderdam carried 1850 people - still much smaller than other lines such as Princess, Royal Caribbean, etc.

The service is impeccable. The Filipino crew and Dutch officers make for a very enjoyable trip. I have been on a number of other lines and one of the biggest reasons I am such a promoter of HAL is because of the awesome service.

Comfort is the final reason - and for me its thanks to the number of HAL cruises I've taken. I feel comfortable on the ship in many ways. The staterooms are large enough, the dress code is perfect, and the absence of (a lot) children is nice.

I would suggest booking a week on HAL for the best "research." :)

"Class project" who are you kidding?

Meaning? I only ask because I am somewhat skeptical myself;) .

I would suggest booking a week on HAL for the best "research." :)

Certainly the best answer so far;) .

Valerie:)

So are you going to post your results after the project is done.

I choose Hal over all the other because it was the only line that had all the thinks I wanted to see included. Second reason is because it is know as having less kids.

Still would like to see the project when done

Archived