HAL Customer Relations Nonexistent?

pog27

I sailed on the Rotterdam last month for 16 days on the European Capitals cruise. While I enjoyed the cruise overall I had a problem with the Internet Manager and my internet bill which was not resolved onboard. To make a long story short the Internet Manager Jacqueline was VERY rude to me and refused to do anything to resolve the situation. She had sole control of the internet charges and I was told my the front desk that nothing could be done by anyone except for her. It's a long story and not really the point of my post, but will post the details if people are interested. I also had a complaint about my room steward cleaning the rooms when he was very sick.

I returned from London on June 1st and I was told by a sales rep at HAL (it was a weekend and Customer Relations was closed) that Customer Relations prefers to receive complaints via email. I immediately sent an email detailing my problems onboard to guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. When I had heard nothing by the end of the week, not even an acknowledgment that they received my email I called Customer Relations and left a voice mail since no one picked up. I received a call back nearly a week later only to be told that they do want something in writing and that if I had already sent an email I should continue to wait for a response because there is a backlog. Now it has been nearly 3 weeks and still no reply.

I have dealt with Customer Relations post-cruise with both Carnival and NCL, both of which resolved my concerns immediately on the phone. I am shocked that Customer Relations at HAL is so unresponsive. Have others experienced similar problems? While the problems I had onboard were not nearly enough to make me want to cancel a HAL cruise I booked for November, the lack of any response to my concerns does.

Unfortunately yes. People are waiting generally several weeks for responses to Customer relations issues. My wife and I were on the now infamous Black sea/egypt Rotterdam cruise last month that had the Park West controversy on it regarding the taking over of the CN. I sent an email almost 4 weeks ago to express my concern. I did get the automated "we got it" reply but no real response yet. On another thread others were saying 3-4 weeks is the new normal for responses. In a highly competitive consumer environment this is rather unacceptable IMO. This seems to be another indicator of the HAL transition to a mass market corporate culture.

You may yet get a response but then again you might not.

good luck

The internet manager isn't a HAL employee, but employed by the contractor, SeaMobile, who supplies internet service. You may to also send them a note through their web site.

Good point ... and I suppose the same would be true for issues with the spa staff and/or services.

The internet manager isn't a HAL employee, but employed by the contractor, SeaMobile, who supplies internet service. You may to also send them a note through their web site.

This is true, but your "contract" is with HAL which makes SeaMobile a subcontractor. The money was paid to HAL, so they are responsible for any problems. The only reason to contact SeaMobile would be to report their rude employee.

- Steve

I always get an automatic response right away and I have never waited more than a day or two for an actual response. Unfortunately, the responses I have gotten have been, for the most part, useless. I have gotten outright incorrect information and double-talk. If they don't know the answer to my question, they guess. Sometimes it is obvious they did not even really read the question, because the answer makes no sense at all. I always end up calling ship services and so far I have been lucky enough to get very knowledgeable and accomodating reps who answer my questions completely and accurately.

- Steve

Hi,

Got a great response from customer service after our Oosterdam Cruise in December. It's only fair that I post the negative along with the positive. I wrote to HAL in regard to our experience and received 2 wonderful responses from their customer service dept. I don't recall how long I waited for the response, but I am sure it was not long, or THAT I would remember.

Barbara

Archived