TSA Has List Of Approved Luggage Locks

Host Walt

Despite the variety of brand names,most are locks by Travel Sentry who have developed the lock that TSA can open with a master key,even if the lock is a combination type. Most of the brands listed are simply repackaged Travel Sentry. The brands of luggage using those locks are,thus far,Atlantic,Samsonite,Tumi and Delsey,but only on certain,newer,higher-end models. Some other brands,such as Travel Pro,are using their own locks that are "TSA approved" but don't have the Travel Sentry logo to make it clear the locks are ok. For more info check www.travelsentry.org.

Another option is to use plastic locking wire ties which are cheap and available at hardware or electronics stores. If TSA needs to get in your luggage,they cut them off and reseal the luggage with their own ties. I use them now but,on my upcoming cruise,will probably get Travel Sentry locks because luggage is left unattended for so long when cruising and I want a more secure lock.

Instead of buying more luggage locks, I just use a plastic wire-tie so that they can cut it and throw it away if need be. I take my luggage locks with me for the cruise ship though - like to lock up my bag before handing it over to the porters. I heard a story on this board somewhere about not so nice people going through the luggage of others in the hallways!! I always lock it now.

Archived