excursion ideas for ephesus and dubronik--have you done your own thing?

Welcome to CruiseCritic. I was confused for a minute because there's a really nice lady who posts on these boards named "Cruising Mimi" and your name is so similar to hers. I went with a private tour group in Ephesus so can't offer independent sightseeing there. You can probably find some information on that using the "search" feature. If you don't know how, just let us know, and I'm sure someone will be glad to post instructions.

We were in Dubrovnik a couple of weeks ago, and it's very easy to do on your own. We had read that we needed local currency, kunas, to walk the wall, so we obtained local currency at the shop to the right of the large fountain as you enter the gate. We later found out that Euros are now accepted to climb the wall, so please don't be confused by old posts stating that you need kunas.

We were advised by the exchange operator that we had enough currency for 4 handsets to listen to commentary and admission fees. When we paid, the clerk there told us that we were short, so we rented two headsets. It was just as well because it was hard to follow the commentary and talk, etc. One of the improvements needed is that since you punch numbers into the handsets, the numbers need to be noted on the path. We only saw numbers posted three times, and I think there are approx 30 segments to listen to, so it was confusing. I only mention that to say that the handsets weren't that great for us. We were having a good time just visiting with fellow passengers, so if you're in a fun group, you might have a similar experience. But no matter because walking the walls is a GREAT option in this village, so I consider it a must-do. The views of the ocean and village are spectacular. As others have advised, you need to go early in the day to avoid the heat and hopefully some of the crowding. We then walked around every street in the village, shopped, and ate. We loved Dubrovnik and hope you do too.

Donna

We were in Dubrovnik on our HAL Veendam cruise on May 28 (US Memorial Day). There was a rain front that came and went for our entire stay in port, but we had disposable ponchos with us so everything was AOK. We had decided to do this port on our own and climb the walls and see the Old Town. HAL offered a shuttle from the dock to Old Town for $10. round trip per person. We (as usual for us this trip) were some of the first folks off the ship and the shuttle had not even started operating. We joineD forces with a great young couple we had met on the cruise at another port and hired a taxi for 10 Euros total each way (the price is set and posted), thus saving quite a bit over the HAL shuttle price plus saving CONSIDERABLE time waiting on the shuttle bus to fill up, etc.

We were the very first tourists that we saw at Old Town and walked around for a half hour before the walls even opened! It was great watching all the local folks head to work, setting up the food markets, etc. We were the very first people to head up to the walls that day, and made it almost all the way around before seeing ANY other toursist! They were not renting the headsets yet (the young man who sold us the wall tickets which we paid for in Euros, too, said that they wouldn't start renting them for another hour so we did the walk with no headsets. WOW! Incredible views ! We did have rain showers from time to time, but we were all prepared with ponchos and umbrellas, so no problem. When we had almost completed our full circuit of the city walls we ran into a number of other tourists just beginning their tours and were SO GLAD we had that extra hour start on everyone and did not have to continually get out of the way of other's photos or wait to see views, etc! Afterwards we toured the Franciscan Monestary and the oldest working Pharmacy in Europe, plus a couple ancient churches and other buildings as well as picking up some souvenirs in the quaint shops (they took our Visa card and we asked to be charged in the local Kuna and they did it! We got our charge bill and all was AOK!) The public "toilet" was a new experience for me. One of those stainless steel grates that you straddle for the "ladies" --- I just could not use it..and chose to just 'hold it' until we returned to the ship!

Beautiful port and easy to do on your own. Our photos are FABULOUS!

We were also there on 28 May on Spirit of Adventure. Arrived a little later in the day and encountered a Thunderstorm while on the walls. But they do have ordinary toilets in the coffee shops, just buy a cake or something.

Going back in September on a land based tour.

Ditto what previous posters said for Dubrovnik...walk the city walls and around the city on your own and enjoy..it is beautiful...

For Ephesus (Kusadisi), you MUSY visit the ruins at Ephesus...we have always done the ships tours and it is only a half day tour but I'm sure you can book a private tour with one of the guides people have used on CC...you can then come back to the ship for lunch (it docks right in town) , then go back out and shop in in Kusadisi which is right off the ship...this town is a shoppers delight!

Archived