The best non-greasy sunscreens

I need some advice. What is the best, non-greasy sunscreen that can be purchased in a normal store like target or walmart? I would like about 30 spf and really need something that does not feel like it is clogging every pore on my body :) It would be an added bonus if this sunscreen could also be used on the face. I would also like it to not break the bank as there are 5 people in my family and we will need several bottles.

Boy, I am asking for a lot :rolleyes: But I know if I can get a great sunscreen that doesn't feel so darned heavy, I will have a much easier time getting my kids to wear it. DH too!

Thanks so much!!

Kathy

I need some advice. What is the best, non-greasy sunscreen that can be purchased in a normal store like target or walmart? I would like about 30 spf and really need something that does not feel like it is clogging every pore on my body :) It would be an added bonus if this sunscreen could also be used on the face. I would also like it to not break the bank as there are 5 people in my family and we will need several bottles.

Boy, I am asking for a lot :rolleyes: But I know if I can get a great sunscreen that doesn't feel so darned heavy, I will have a much easier time getting my kids to wear it. DH too!

Thanks so much!!

Kathy

I've lived at one beach or another my whole life so I've tested a lot of sunscreens. I swear by Coppertone Sport Ultra Sweatproof/Waterproof Sunblock SPF 50 lotion (in a blue tube). It's not greasy at all, it's sweatproof, rubs in quickly and easily, smells good, and protects against UVA AND UVB rays. I also use it on my face...just keep it away from your eyes when you're applying it and wash your hands after you have finished. I haven't had any problems with it running into my eyes after being in the water either which is sometimes a problem with other lotions. I have not had a sunburn in close to 20 years and using the higher SPF has been the reason.

Bon voyage!

We LOVE Beaver-43. It's not greasy, it IS completely waterproof, and it seems to last all day.

You can usually find it at dive shops or outdoor/hiking specialty stores. You can also find it online if you google it.

The tube looks small -- but a little bit goes a long way!

I've used the Coppertone Sport Spray many times and do like it, but find it runs in my eyes when I sweat.

We're now using Banana Boat Sport Dri-Blok. It's SPF 30. It's absolutely not greasy. I bought three bottles at Costco for about $9.99 (I think). You can probably get it at Target as well, or even Walgreens, CVS, etc.

We live in Florida and two Sundays ago we went to Universal in the blazing sun (90+ degrees) for five hours. I put this on, walked around all day, rode several water rides and didn't get any burn. It's good and stays on well.

Consumer Reports just rated Sunscreens for summer. I copied the article below. Hope you find it useful--I did. :)

When you rub sunscreen on, you assume you’re guarding against sunburn, skin cancer, and wrinkles. But research indicates that consumers might be getting less than half the sunburn protection shown on labels because they don’t apply enough. Moreover, our tests of 19 sunscreens found that some provide minimal protection against ultraviolet A (UVA) radiation, which can cause skin cancer and wrinkles. UVA is not considered in the sun-protection factor (SPF), which refers to protection against UVB radiation, a different wavelength that can also cause skin cancer, plus sunburn.

We tested the SPF of all the sunscreens 15 minutes after application. Products claiming water resistance were scored again after immersion in water (scores for the rest are without immersion). We also tested all products for UVA protection, without immersion. And we took the eight products that claim to have zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, which absorb UVA, and had an outside lab test them for microscopic particles of those compounds. Whether such nanoparticles pose health risks is a subject of debate.

What we found. All products came within 10 percent of meeting their claimed SPF. In theory, an SPF 30 sunscreen lets you stay in the sun, unburned by UVB, up to 30 times longer than without it. But people typically apply about 25 to 75 percent less sunscreen than the amount used in most sunscreen tests, including ours. And in our UVA tests, several products scored fair or poor, even if they met their SPF claim. As a result, we’ve weighted UVA scores most heavily in the Ratings.

Of the eight products tested for nanoparticles, all contained them, but our tests found no correlation between their presence and sun protection.

What to do. Choose a sunscreen with maximum protection against both UVA and UVB rays--preferably one labeled very water resistant or waterproof, with an SPF of at least 30. Two fine choices: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 45 and No-Ad Sunblock Lotion Maximum SPF 45, a CR Best Buy.

Be sure to use enough. To get the labeled protection, an adult in a swimsuit needs to use 2 to 3 tablespoons of sunscreen. Reapply it every two hours and after swimming or substantial sweating. If you’re out all day, find some shade or add protective clothing, including a hat.

We use the Coppertone Sport or Ocean Potion sunscreen. We live near the coast (the West or Left one as Jane says.) We were out all day yesterday at the San Diego Fair, used the Coppertone Sport in the blue bottle, and came home with no burns. Great for those of us with fair skin! My Mom had skin cancer, so I have to be very careful.

Both the Coppertone and the Ocean Potion are non-sting formulas for my 8-year old daughter, who has a skin condition where other sunscreens sting her skin. Her condition is Keratosis Pilaris (which is a benign condition.) However, she needs to use sensitive skin products.

Amy

I'm also in San Diego and have very fair skin, and after a lifetime of trying practically every sunscreen on the market, I've finally found one that I like and that actually works for me--Blue Lizard (an Australian sunscreen--and boy do they know sun protection!)

I've tried various Neutrogena products and the Coppertone Sport, and though they worked, I was never satisfied. (However, my husband swears by the Coppertone Sport). I always found that I need extra protection on my nose that none of those gave me, so I always had to apply a separate titanium dioxide or zinc oxide sunscreen on top of what I had used. I also got that salty, grainy feeling on my face after sweating that I don't get with Blue Lizard. Also, this is the only sunscreen so far that doesn't get in my eyes.

I know your question was also about the greasiness factor. Unfortunately Blue Lizard feels a little greasy going on, but honestly, once it dries, you can't feel it. In fact, I always worry that I'm not protected because I can't feel it! Even though it has zinc oxide in it, it's not thick and goes on very easily.

I bought it at Walgreens in Orlando, so it is available in regular drugstores, HOWEVER, I haven't been able to find it here yet. I order mine from drugstore.com. It's about $10 a bottle.

It's also tops on my dermatologist's list. It's also kid friendly--because the bottle turns blue in UV light! You always know when you need to apply it!

Most of us use the No Ad 30 SPF or higher and all of the kids play summer sports. We also use the Neutrogena 55 SPF or 70 SPF for the fairer skinned, acne prone in our family. The Neutrogena is least expensive at Kmart but the last one in our area closed. I paid $6.99 there and $7.99 at Target last summer. It was recommended by the dermatologist. Our previous dermatologist sold a Coppertone product in his office that is not carried in the stores. We switched dermatologists and I can't recall the name. I think it was similar to the Neutrogena product in that they both contain the helioplex scatter pattern chemical or something like that. The Neutrogena dries out very quickly, so use it and cap it well. It does need more product because it really is dry immediately upon putting it on your face. We only use it for the face and chest.

We just went to the OBX and had beautiful, sunny 85 degree days for the week. My son's friend came with us and he is so PALE! He used Hawaiian Tropic Plus 45 SPF and didn't get any burn at all. We are going to try that next.

I'm also wanting to find that Blue Lizard. I wonder if drugstore.com sells it?

Here's another vote for the Neutrogena sunscreens. They probably do cost a little more than maybe the No-Ad, but I'd say about the same as Banana Boat or Coppertone. I have the dry touch spray (spf 45) and the Age Shield cream that I will use on my face/neck. I have had more basal cell carcinomas removed than I can count and I'm very careful. The Neutrogena does contain a complex (they call it Helioplex) that protects from the UVA rays and it does work. One piece of advice I'll give you (that I was given) is if you do use a spray-on type - spray until you can actually see the stuff on your skin. People tend to spray too lightly and not use enough.

Here's another vote for the Neutrogena sunscreens. The Neutrogena does contain a complex (they call it Helioplex) that protects from the UVA rays and it does work.

I wanted this (Helioplex) in my sunscreen and saw that drugstore.com has neutrogena sunscreens on sale so I ordered it. The reviews say that it is not greasy and that was what I was looking for also.

I had been buying Loreal from a drugstore in Canada for the extra UVA protection but it is SO greasy that I decided to give neutrogena a try. I am glad that there are now options in the USA for the UVA protection.

Definitely love the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer in 55 spf! It dries fast, and while I find that it does leave a film, it is not at all greasy! I am very pleased with it, and will buy it again! However,if a no-name brand were to make a non-greasy one, I would try it due to cost. The tube of Neutrogena was 15 bucks at Walmart!

Lots of good ideas already...Has anybody tried Kinesys??

http://www.kinesys.com/

I've heard it is good but wondering if anyone has and more detailed reviews.

Yes--my family uses it. We originally bought it for bicycling because we hate the heavy, sticky sunscreens when we're active. It's spray-on, which makes it quick and easy to apply, even to kids. To put it on your face, spray it into your hands and then rub it on. Once it dries, you really can't tell you have it on.

I don't think it comes in strengths above 30 SPF, though. So on my Mariner cruise this month, I brought along some 50 SPF (Coppertone, I think) to use while snorkeling, swimming, and lying in the sun, and the Kinesys 30 spray for walking around the ship or other less sun-intensive activities.

Not cheap, but my philosophy has always been to spend money on things that are worth it and save the skimping for less important things (so, yeah--that was me on the Mariner in my $3 sun dress and $20 sun block! :D).

Archived